Help › Forums

Re: My nemesis.....the 17th at St Andrews

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:59 PM (27 replies)
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:50 PM

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any tips on how to get out of that bunker. I am having real problems trying to get it close - cant work it out just yet ???

Am using a Pro54 Wedge Flop shot - but or a 54W Flop and just cant get it to stick close. It seems I have to try and flop it into the greenside rough  and let it run down , but that is not easy.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Doug

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:52 PM

Hi,

Another quite successful way to play this hole is to lay up.

Place your second shot 60 - 70 yds short and hit a nice full wedge in. I have done it twice now and saved par each time.

Cheers

Doug

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:32 PM

I'm +1 on that hole. I have 2 bogeys and a birdie. I have played it about 10 times. All you have to do is hit it right of the bunker. The ball will roll to the hole. If you miss it you are just a chip shot away. Just takes practice.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 6:54 PM

AvatarLee's description of this hole is spot on in my opinion. I've holed it out once for birdie from the spot he describes, it seems to be the play of choice in most instances. Don't get me wrong, I've taken my lumps on this hole more times than I would care to mention.  : )

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 5:30 AM

dorkfeatures:
    Has anyone got any tips on how to get out of that bunker. I am having real problems trying to get it close - cant work it out just yet ???

Yes-full shot mode with a partial swing. The 64 wedge does quite nicely when you back off the swing. Most of the outs from that bunker are 50% swings, maybe a little less, with full back spin. Keep in mind the slope of that green from the bunker side is slightly downhill and the ball will roll a little.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 6:29 AM

hit a driver to sneak between the bunkers, it bounced over the left tip of center bunker then rolled all the way to the right to about 15 ft, suffer from cantfrigginputtworthadamitis so i proceded to 3 putt it

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 9:59 AM

Well, the drive is not too bad (considering my equipment)... even if I'm in the first cut on the left of the fairway and not too far out I can usually play it up to the right of the trap with lots of roll, trying to get it to bend around the back.  More times than not it will trickle into the 30/40 fescue about 10 or 11 yards from the hole off the back.  Surprisingly its a perfect 6yd chip shot, usually straight, but runs a lot.  I think I have 3 or 4 hole outs from back there.  You have to play with the spin a bit, for me the 10yrd chip is full back spin.  Oh yeah, and pull the pin!!

See here for an example... *edit* this one was actually a 10 yard chip choked to about 70% and it was a tough line to read.

Hope this helps (but not too much LOL)....

Thanks Lee, your post and action replay made complete sense of the hole and has helped me on other holes where that type of chip shot is required, brilliant 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:59 PM

After landing on the downside after the bunker on the approach, the ball raced for the road and got held up in the light fescue. Did this nifty little 13yd flop shot just trying to keep it close. Didn't trust a chip to get up to the green height then slow down so reduced flop did nicely. This after a nice hole out from behind the green on 12 from 40yds, finishing with my first 28 on the back including a missed putt from 7.7ft dead straight, I guess a 10ft swing wasn't enough to get it to the hole.

Here

RSS