Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Just became Master.....which driver should I buy?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:48 PM (7 replies)
  • AddieLexiDaddy
    10 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 3:47 PM
    Put a nice little string of birdies together on St. Andrews last night and was rewarded with the kiss of death......or so I've been told......Master tier. So can you guys help me out with pros and cons of each of the available Master tier drivers? I appreciate any insight you can give me before I make another contribution to the WGT fund. Thanks guys, Walt
  • Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:02 PM

hey ALD...i would use/buy the R9 Driver for master tier..If your not use to the fast meter it will take some warming up to..Seems like its the popular choice of the top tier masters on here...Gluck and play well..its not as bad is it seems

• AddieLexiDaddy
    10 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 4:28 PM
    Thanks Kosei. I appreciate your suggestion......and the encouragement. I've played with Masters before and have been amazed at some of the teebox differences. It will be a nice challenge that I'm sure I will appreciate.
  • SWoods
    62 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 5:51 PM
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:08 PM

The thread by SWoods is a good discussion on R9 vs G10 and in particular the observations by jakestanfill7 on pages 5 and 6.

Master Drivers: G10 vs R9 page 5

Another good discussion R9 vs G10 for Masters

I have both R9 and G10.  Can't keep the R9 out of the rough.  The G10 is more forgiving so I use that.  If I could I'd give you the R9 I would.  My reflexes ain't what they used to be.

Would be good to hear from ghettocop1 and jayjohnbeach, two recent Masters, on how their choices are working out.

• myteammytown
    10 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:15 PM

I have the G10 and wouldnt trade it.

though, for the first bit, the driver will probably be one of many worries as you venture to the back tees.

best of luck

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:41 PM

I own both the G10 and the R9. My fairway hit average is above 90% and so I believe I can speak freely on this subject. They are slightly different. The both are fast meter and anything slightly away from the line is grim. While the G10 can produce deadly accruacy, it is very slightly less forgiving than the R9. And the R9 goes a bit farther. While I once advocated the G10 as being superior, I now find myself warming toward the R9. They are both superb and both require a very fair amount of time to become handy.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Apr 5 2010 6:48 PM

On Andy's cue....  :) 

You will HATE the R9 for about the first two weeks( especially coming from a PRO club), then your virtual player and you will adjust to it (funny as it sounds but believe me the virtual player has to adjust to new equipment too....software :(  )

I would love to try out the G10 but have not, I suspect as Andy says it is a little more accurate and thus acts a little more forgiving when driving overall, even though the specs say the R9 is more forgiving I think that is "on paper" only and the extra Precision of the G10 is more of a factor than the TM's forgiveness or lack there of(maybe its a bit of wishful thinking and hope too because I'm telling you the piece of perverbal poop that is the R9 is FAR from forgiving...lol) .  The trade-off is it is not quite as long, specs say 5 yards, maybe someone experienced can pipe in on whether it is in fact more than that most times.  Balls play an important part in yardage too however and when Andy and I played we were about equal distance but I had free balls and his had added distance so hard to judge. 

Speaking of balls I HIGHLY suggest a GI2 ball, the GI2-S is nice because it slows down the meter the maximum amount possible AND gives you extra spin.  It is a MUST with the R9 for a new Master IMO to avoid frustration and the ever waiting rough, especially at BPB with the narrow fairways. 

Given the precision of the Driver and the precision of the PING clubs overall vs. the TM, I was VERY tempted to go with the G10 but didn't only because the majority of top Masters use the R9 but I still wonder if the 5 yards is worth it.....

GL and if you have the money, rent both first to see for yourself. 

RSS