Forums

Help › Forums

Master Drivers: G10 vs R9

Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:03 AM (59 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:45 PM

I have purchased both. While the R9 delivers a few additional cheap yards while one looks for the ultimate long drive, it is sloppy, unpredictable and unrealible when compaired to the G10 which is like a lazer once one gets used to it. The G10 is superior...fact of life.

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 6:22 PM
    Hiya SP, Is driving really about precision or is it about distance? Personally, I'd rather be within wedge range instead of iron range after the drive. The G10 driver does have a lot more precision. I might have to give it a try. Tom
  • Kiatta
    6 Posts
    Thu, Mar 18 2010 3:54 PM

I have hit both as well and prefer the R9. If you're playing a short course doesn't matter so much but on Bethpage I'll take any extra yardage I can get. I like Taylor Made on the driver and putter but G10 for everything else.    

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:19 AM

Having used both of them frequently, I definitely prefer the TM R9 over any other competition. I'll sacrifice precision for distance ANY DAY. I'm hardly ever off of the perfect mark, so a few yards will almost never affect me. The only holes I would even worry about precision affecting me is #2 at The Ocean Course (trying to cut the sand), and #9 at St. Andrews (trying to go for the hole). Even then, I almost never screw it up.

But while my opinion comes from personal experiences, I respect your right(s) to prefer any selection you are offered.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:41 AM

I just have the R9 and find it very good on shots that are hit close to the ding meter. It gives extra yards which are much required on a lot of holes on BPB and are always good on PAR 5's making it possible to reach those in 2. 

The R9 is more forgiving than the G10 which allows you to keep the ball in play on mishits. And I am not trying to get the ball within a few feet of the hole with the driver so do not really see the advantage of increased precision. 

Just my thoughts. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:36 AM

SweetiePie:
     The G10 is superior...fact of life.

The vast majority of elite players on WGT would completely disagree with you, and they would play with a garden hoe if it improved their shotmaking ability.

• TarheelsRule
    5,497 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 4:58 PM
    I currently play the Callaway Garden Hoe and find that the 350 yard driving average outweighs the bad looks and the occasional shank off the edge of the hoe. Just kidding I play the R9 now and find that the extra distance is moe important that some less forgiveness, although BPB might be more important to keep it straight than get a few extra yards. I am looking forward to the next club that gives us a 400 yard average with an ultra slow swing speed, I'm sure that it will be 5 million credits.
  • bucmac
    15 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 5:25 PM
    I agree I have noticed also that the g-10 is far more accurate than the r-9,Used both also.
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 8:00 PM

OaktheToke:

SweetiePie:
     The G10 is superior...fact of life.

The vast majority of elite players on WGT would completely disagree with you, and they would play with a garden hoe if it improved their shotmaking ability.

Perhaps. Perhaps my perspective comes from my actual game which dictates that I hit fairways because of lack of impressive distance, which I have always focuced upon and do. Nothing screws my little mind more than missed fairways, there or here. It sets up everything else in a positive frame. G10...check it out. If you are a Master and must rely upon a few additional sloppy yards, just reflect upon how well you did with the Rapture. R9 sucks.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 7:45 AM

I'll take the additional yards, even if it leaves me in 20-30 rough every so often.

Shots from 20-30 rough are relatively easy once you know how many yards to add, especially with the wedges.  I'll gladly trade the better accuracy from the driver for extra yards due to this, with the added bonus of being able to go for the green on 2 on some par 5's and reach the green on some par 4's from the tee.

RSS