Help › Forums

Re: Chipping

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:23 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Whogolf
    78 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 12:55 PM

I use the wedge all the time when i`m 3 or 4 yards or more off the green. Once you get used to it, shooting 10 or more yards with the wedge is a lot better than using the chip. The only time I use the chip is when the ball is less than a foot from the green.

• greatwhitenortha
    1 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:17 PM

i'm having the same problem and its messing up my score too..need same help!

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:42 PM

Practice, Practice, Practice.  Chipping of the fringe should be a no brainer.  From the shorter distances its almost easier than putting.  I always use full backspin unless the pin is just around the full meter but slightly uphill.  

And read the tutorial over here =======================>

I can also chip pretty well up to 40% rough, once it hits that I switch to pitch. 

• palupear
    50 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:58 PM

Yes, agree.  Chipping and pitching refinements are areas the wgt needs to improve.  I share the same frustrations as most of the real life golfers who play wgt have expressed.  There is no provision for real finesse here on wgt like "hooding" a wedge on a chip to ensure it moves and rolls true from the fringe or rough, or for flopping a chip with an open wedge, or for using lower lofted irons around the greens.  Same deal with sand shots on wgt.  Very frustrating that identical strikes under the same conditions will yield vastly differing results from different traps on wgt.   Practice rounds take so long and do not guarantee that the shots you need to practice are those that you will confront during the round. 

WGT is really fun most of the time, maybe the frustration and unpredictability is a part of that.  Clearly some masters have figured it all out, have the right equipment, the right computer, programs and hookups and have developed highly predictable and astonishing results under every condition. 

WGT is the ONLY computer game I play, online or in any way.  I am not a "gamer" and find it hard to justify the time I've put into playing.  So, even more time "practicing", and keeping scrupulous notes on shot reactions and positions, seems like turning wgt into a kind of job.  I do play some practice rounds when I get new equipment, or to experiment with wind, etc. (weird, too, how same wind speed and direction effect the same shots on different courses and holes!)

For me, I'd just like to know that when I hit it on the button, I will get an optimal result.  When I am off a titch, the result will be a titch less than optimal, when I am off a bit more than a titch the results should correspond.  I've even found that when I am way, way off the button, sometimes the results are better than when I am off a fraction. 

I hope wgt is considering allowing more choices in club manipulations, or works out a more consistent meter v results scenario on chips and pitches.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 5:39 AM

SystemCrash:
    Remember that unlike the putting, 1/4 of a swing doesn't necessarily mean 1/4 of the distance! Just like in real golf.

Yes I have experience of that.  Chipping does take a lot of practice and note taking

My wedges have distances of 77 and 98 yards but if I want a 20 yard chip it's no good hitting my 77 yard wedge with 25% as that goes about 10-11 yards from fairway and less from rough

Hence needing to maybe do a chart or something with the wedges, which of course are the clubs you will be hitting part shots with the most is, IMO, very important

Mick

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 8:44 PM

micklen:

SystemCrash:
    Remember that unlike the putting, 1/4 of a swing doesn't necessarily mean 1/4 of the distance! Just like in real golf.

Yes I have experience of that.  Chipping does take a lot of practice and note taking

My wedges have distances of 77 and 98 yards but if I want a 20 yard chip it's no good hitting my 77 yard wedge with 25% as that goes about 10-11 yards from fairway and less from rough

Hence needing to maybe do a chart or something with the wedges, which of course are the clubs you will be hitting part shots with the most is, IMO, very important

Mick

You have the 64 Degree Satin wedge in your bag. I use that many times from the rough around the greens or from sand. That is a terrific club. I just sometimes use less backspin to get a bit more roll on the green, especially when going uphill.

The 64 satin saves me about 2 strokes on every 9 holes.

• bobbadgley
    22 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:23 AM
    I have found with the 64 satin wedge - if I hit a full shot with a backspin I get really close to the pin - usually abt 1 to 2 yards every time. Have had quite a few go in too. Give it a try from 20 to 30 yards around the green. You may like it.
  • PAGES
RSS