Forums

Help › Forums

Wind: The Answer

Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:45 AM (56 replies)
  • Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:30 AM

So all we need is the MAX balls, patience and some spread sheets...

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 4:22 AM

I not understands any of this but I is now see why players are take full 90 sec to play shot

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 5:42 AM

I don't use MAX balls and I make 95% of my shots in 30 seconds.  It takes a couple seconds to calc the wind but I do that when someone else is shooting.  Really difficult putts take longer because I'm really bad at them.

Deena, the dimples reduce drag, even without spin, but yes, they increase the coefficient of lift, also.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 6:51 AM

I just  use my handy dandy wind calculator for figuring out the wind that I built in MS Excel..Works well on factoring winds from the side as well but my formulas are different based upon the wind speed. There is no set factor for every wind..

Here are my formulas

(yardage to the pin * wind factor) +/- yardage to the pin

MPH Factor
    5 2
    6 2.5
    7 3
    8 3.33
    9 3.66
    10 4
    11 4.5
    12 5
    13 5.33
    14 5.66
    15 6
    16 6.5
    17 7
    18 7.33
    19 7.66
    20 8
    21 8.33
    22 8.66
    23 9

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:55 AM

A question for the guys using the flagstick as a unit of measure.  How do you translate the vertical flagstick measure into a horizontal distance to move the aiming triangle?  Based on the camera view used, the flagstick is shorter or taller on the screen.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 9:02 AM

Yep, I just compensate the best I can, scooting the triangle sideways.  "That's about a flagstick, yep, this is about two, so this is about four, now one more half."  

Then, after all that, the wind drops to zero at the moment of the shot. ;-)  Seriously, though the varying winds don't seem as bad as they were for a few days, there.  Add about 50 to my CTTH scores, though.  Occasionally get through the 9 without a big deviation.

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 9:14 AM

andyson:

A question for the guys using the flagstick as a unit of measure.  How do you translate the vertical flagstick measure into a horizontal distance to move the aiming triangle?  Based on the camera view used, the flagstick is shorter or taller on the screen.

You use the blue box. It are square. If flag as high as blue box then side edge of it are one flag. If flag half high of blue box then edge of it ar 2 flags.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Sat, Oct 13 2012 9:23 AM

I do the same by compensating the best I can and using the flag height in the camera angle I am looking at scooting the triangle the approximate best guesstimate distance of what is calculated in the same angled direction the wind is blowing from. With the exception of slight angled winds that are fairly close to being straight on.

Then of course you do have to have the distance for the shot calculated based on the distance, angled direction of the wind and elevation and if using bottom or not.

As Bubba mentions works most of the time...  no matter how much you have to calc shots to get close to the hole it still boils down to putting....

• DrinksBreak
    163 Posts
    Sun, Oct 14 2012 12:02 AM

bubbadork:
    You're correct that maximum height doesn't occur at the halfway point, but I've seen nothing in the game that indicates that it does.  Check a few replays from the green view.

I can guarantee it looks nothing like this:

http://www.golf-simulators.com/physics.htm

:

RSS