Forums

Help › Forums

Wind: The Answer

Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:45 AM (56 replies)
  • Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:26 AM

so we would have:

0.06 * 135/ 10 * 15 * SIN (60) giving the distance scaled  head wind component of the vector, 

Which gives you a distance of what?? Leaving elevation/spin etc out of it..

0.06 x 135 = 8.16 yards to add on, leaving you with a "hit" distance of 143.16?

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:35 AM

Good girl, Deena!  My calculator uses trig, also.  On approach shots I measure my lateral component with flagsticks.

Lizard, when I said 10% more, I meant 0.77 for 0.7.  'Twas a very ambiguous statement.

Interestingly enough (well, probably not to anyone but me) I tried to make my wind table from my own trajectory calculator (carry only).  It works perfectly for my clubs and balls with no wind, but the wind part is not right.  I don't know if I messed up that part of the formula, or WGT did ;-).  At any rate, I developed what I have from trial and error in practice rounds and a LOT of CTTHs.  I know it's not spot on, yet.  It takes a lot of shots to cancel out the deviation from precision/forgiveness.  The gust thing makes it a lot tougher.

My calculator is on my swing ruler and works in 30 degree increments. 

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:54 AM

Ah I see now..My "way" up to now has been simply to add or deduct 1 yd for every 3mph of wind..

Seems to have gone pear-shaped since I started using L71 Nikes

Its quite odd because in my calculations (listed earlier in the thread) a 135 shot into a 15 headwind would be a "hit" distance of 145 which is the same as yours Goldeena, so we both getting to the same answer but 2 diff ways, I guess its just a matter of sticking at it, oh and learning to putt ;)

Thanks for you assistance everyone, let me get back to hacking ;)

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 2:25 PM

You're right about having to learn to putt.  Obviously, you have to get on the green in regulation, and close, which means conquering the wind.  In the final analysis, though, you have to learn to putt.  I despair, sometimes, of getting there.

• bneyla1
    143 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 3:09 PM

I'm constantly amazed at how in depth some of y'all get with this game. I personally just use what I've learned through trial and error to adjust for wind, these calculations are INTENSE.

I am no longer surprised that some people shoot 55's all the time, it must take y'all forever to play a round though

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 7:46 PM

"bneyla1"..........I tend to AGREE with you on this. 

I'm thinking, IF Albert Einstein was still with us....and a WGT member....That with his "mathematical genius & high I.Q"........He would have (from day one) made ONLY Birdies & Eagles on every course every time he played......LOL!!!  But, then, I think Einstein was far TOO WISE to spend REAL $$$ for "virtual" anything.......*smile*

Geeezzzzzzzzz people, have FUN with this.  It's not a TRIG test.....it's the game of GOLF.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 8:05 PM

JimbeauC:
    Further disclaimer: Lately I've been noticing that at times, the game will either double or halve the wind effect. When I see this, I immediately clear cache. Just a theory, but I think that sometimes the conditions of a previous round, bleed over. I'd probably be smart to clear before every round.

Interesting, I have also noticed that sometimes the wind effects are much stronger/weaker than the number would indicate. If it is a cache issue, WGT must address this since it is very annoying to see a 9 MPH wind be just as brutal as if it was 17 MPH.

RSS