Forums

Help › Forums

Wind: The Answer

Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:45 AM (56 replies)
  • Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 10:39 PM

yeah Bubba, my approach ave has come down from 25 ft to 15 over the last 2 or 3 weeks and I'm getting less 3 putts as I go but boy when I 3 putt or miss a 5 footer after a great approach it irritates the hell outta me ;)

I think it's getting better but time will tell,

peace

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 4:59 AM

The fun for me, in this game, isn't in getting a good score, but in figuring out HOW to get a good score.  If there wasn't something for me to analyze to death, I'd just move on.  I have a handle on the wind, but it's empirical.  I'm not satisfied with it.  It's on the back burner until I've whacked the bejaysus out of putting, but I'll be back to it.

• trengoff
    128 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:05 AM

i think the reality is merely an a priori adjunct of non-naturalistic ethics, Kant via the categorical imperative is holding that ontologically it exists only in the imagination.

thank you  (well that puts that one to bed!!)

• BOBTX61
    311 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 7:05 AM

Just a couple of additional thoughs here..........I think maybe a few people are just too FOCUSED on the MATH of this game.  I realize this is a "computer" game and so much of the computer world deals with MATH..............but, even IF you had PERFECT calculations to make every shot - you're assuming that WGT's website is PERFECT......and I think you and I know....it's not.  There are just a tremendous number of "variables" in computer & real golf to deal with.

Deena, with all due respect, I have never used "calculations"...oh, I keep a small calculator handy for some shots - but, most of my play comes from "practice & instincts".....much like how GOLF is played on REAL golf courses by PGA members. If you'll look at the "number" of ranked rounds hit by some of the BEST Legends...you'll see, they have hit over 2,000 rounds...to even over 10,000 rounds.  It's like they say, "practice makes perfect".

My approach shot "average" stat is not accurate on my profile...it's been stuck at 22 ft. for 4 months.  It's closer to 12 ft. now - I check it after every round.  But, I have noticed with time & the more ranked rounds I have hit...my stats are improving.  If your calculations are so reliable.....I'm thinking YOUR "stats" would be considerably better....and you'd already be a "Legend"....but, you really haven't hit "enough ranked rounds".

I promise you.........Jack Nicklas, Arnold Palmer & Tiger Woods would find your "calculations" for wind......pretty humorous.  Yes, I know, WGT golf is a "computer" game, but......."wind calculations"?........Really?  Once you reach get past 500 to 600 rounds, I think you'll see nearly every aspect of your game much improved.  Just my opinion, though.  Good Luck!

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 10:43 AM

All of you guys must've graduated from Yale's College of Mathematics.

When I first joined WGT, I met Courtney01. She taught me a very good wind formula. I don't know if she uses this formula, but I still do.

Let's say we have a 150 yard shot with a 10 mph headwind. I would convert the yardage into decimal form. That would give us 1.5. I would then multiply that decimal by half the wind. That would be 1.5 x 5. That gives me 7.5. I would then add 7.5 to the original distance. So, that is 150 + 7.5 = 157.5. That's about the distance I would need to get closest to the hole. With tailwinds, you would subtract the number from the original distance instead of adding.

DISCLAIMER: Golfers discretion is advised. Please mind that this formula doesn't include elevation changes. Any unexpected shot isn't my fault. You've been warned!

• Buggyyy
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 10:46 AM

goldeena:

OK, you have a 15 mph wind at 5 'o' clock, the hole is 135 yards and + 5 feet up

If you take the wind arrow as a vector you can give it a magnitude of 15 at an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal:

*There should be a diagram here ???*

The vector can be broken down in to the head wind component (blue) by applying a SIN function, the side wind (red) can be determined by taking a COS function:

head wind component (blue) = 15 * SIN (60)

side wind component (red) = 15 * COS (60)

Then it is just a matter of scaling in the distance, in another thread somebody worked it out as 60% at 100 yards, this can be generalised for all distances by: 0.06 * average distance to pin / 10

so we would have:

0.06 * 135/ 10 * 15 * SIN (60) giving the distance scaled  head wind component of the vector, we do similar for the side wind using the COS part.

I add in the 5 feet after the calculations which are done in a spreadsheet so I only have to enter 3 values in to 3 boxes: angle, distance and wind strength, the spreadsheet works it all out after that

This gives me terrible memories of math in high school. 

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:35 AM

I have decided that my shots are affected by radiation from the Van Allen belt. Consequently, I have made a tin foil hat for my tower.  We now look like twins, except my LEDs don't flash like they used to.

• ANDREAP
    1,642 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:15 AM

my method is prolly less accurate but work good for me and very fast ..

iron untill 170 yds add or sub  2/3 of wind

wedge 1/3

iron over 170 yds the entire  nimber

same as 150yds  10 mph tail waind  2/3 is almost 7 yds  so i will hit 157 or 143

:)) more fast and funny for my idea of game

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:14 AM

I use a much simpler method of calculating the distances for various wind factors and get pretty close most of the time. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned, unless I missed it, is even with those close calculated distances you still either have to move the the pointer for the wind flight of the ball, which I don't see mentioned, or you have to miss ding it like some people do which throws those calculations out the window due to loss of yardage for missing the ding. I move the pointer and I have my method of factoring in how far and what direction I need to move the pointer for this. Just thought I would mention this factor as you can have the distances calculated well but without know how far to move the pointer due to wind speed and direction in relation to the hole it may be moot and you may be still left with a long putt.

RSS