Forums

Help › Forums

Wind: The Answer

Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:45 AM (56 replies)
  • bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:17 AM

For approach shots I consider the flagstick to be 7 feet high and move the triangle appropriately.  For other shots I just wing it by experience on the inset map.

To know if your numbers are close, you have to make a lot of shots so as to average out the deviations.  I shot a LOT of CTTHs and kept numbers.

Calculating closely sounds picky, but you really need it if you want to be within 10 feet.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 3:15 PM

bubbadork:

For approach shots I consider the flagstick to be 7 feet high and move the triangle appropriately.  For other shots I just wing it by experience on the inset map.

To know if your numbers are close, you have to make a lot of shots so as to average out the deviations.  I shot a LOT of CTTHs and kept numbers.

Calculating closely sounds picky, but you really need it if you want to be within 10 feet.

I do the similar but slightly different.. I used the flag height showing on the camera angle I am viewing and move the flag X amount of flag stick height opposite the exact wind direction based on my calculations of;  wind x distance x .6 / 100 x 3 / 9

11 mph crosswind 166 yds

11 x 166 x .6 / 100 x 3 / 9 = 3.625 or rounds to 3.7 flag lengths from the winds direction 

Of course a variance in calculation would depend on the ball and clubs, mine are based on G20's and Cally (i) S

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 4:25 PM

I know we're going to be screwed when we play a course where the flagstick is only 2 feet tall, but what the hey.  ;-)

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 5:56 PM

bubbadork:

I know we're going to be screwed when we play a course where the flagstick is only 2 feet tall, but what the hey.  ;-)

Then we will just adjust it for 2' flags...lol

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:16 PM

We'll just measure with the ammo guy's putter....

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 8:58 PM

Relax, Deena.  I think you're great.  Anyone who wants to disagree can come see me.  The waiting list is about 2 years.  No cutting in on the ex-wives or you'll never make the head of the line alive.

• DrinksBreak
    163 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:34 PM

I just work out wind from previous shots played.  One thing that I think does not sit right with me is why spin is somehow reduced with a tailwind, doesn't make sense to me.  Another is the unnatural ball flights, a golf balls flight is not linear, the max height of the ball does not happen at half distance.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:36 PM

Spin generates lift by Magnus force.  The relative velocity is less with a tail wind so the lift is less.  You're correct that maximum height doesn't occur at the halfway point, but I've seen nothing in the game that indicates that it does.  Check a few replays from the green view.

RSS