Forums

Help › Forums

Wind: The Answer

Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:45 AM (56 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:37 PM

Copy/Paste from an earlier message on another forum.

-------------------------------------------

gusser67:
    160 yd shot with headwinds at 16mph

Disclaimer:

This is what I do with my clubs. G20 - No spin. Others tell me that in order for this to work, they need to spin some or even fully. Use this as a starting point and tweak it to fit your clubs. Does it work, precisely, all the time? Of course not.

For the above, 172.8 with no spin. Calc Method: Divide distance by 2 = 80. This represents the percentage of the wind in MPH effect in yards.

16 * .8 = 12.8.

160 + 12.8 = 172.8.

gusser67:
    at the 1;30 position

This is trickier. In a quartering wind, the 16 MPH represents the hypotenuse of a right triangle, in this case, one with two equal sides. (Pythagorean Theorem) I never fully calculate this, but use the general idea to get in the ballpark. In this case I did, to the first decimal. 11.3 - representing, in this case, both the cumulative wind effect on distance and yaw.

11.3 * .8 = 9.04.

So it would be a shot at 169 yards and aimed 9 yards right of the target. My normal guesstimate was 11, so i would have been close enough.

Further disclaimer: Lately I've been noticing that at times, the game will either double or halve the wind effect. When I see this, I immediately clear cache. Just a theory, but I think that sometimes the conditions of a previous round, bleed over. I'd probably be smart to clear before every round.

Good Luck. Remember, this is just a decent starting point for your own calculations. 

Heh, with luck, you might end up with one of these. Note the wind and where I had to aim.

Road Hole Eagle

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 12:10 AM

Hi Jim,

I use G20's too and am struggling with the wind lately, do you use your above calc for all your clubs and do you use the same calc for tailwinds?

Cheers

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:50 AM

Wind calculated at a 2:1 ratio also works well.  16mph wind adds 8yds.  Quartering wind with 9 in face adds 4-5 yds.

I'm gonna try your method, though, because I always like new things.  And, I LOVE taking into account that longer shots are affected by wind more.....as are higher shots (which I have yet to see math for).

My only thing, upon first glance, is:  I know my result in your first example, given flat ground.  I use full bs as a default and I hit my 175 club at 168 (2:1 method) at 96% power and it's close.  I hit a no spin shot at 172 yds at 98% power, and I'm worried it will rocket past.   1- lower trajectory, 2- no stoppage, 3- playing a longer distance in the first place.

The ball may make a big difference.  I play the TourSD ball, which tends to rate out well with my G's.  The Callies, and especially Srixons, need a little ydg added on shorter clubs and a little taken away on long irons.

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:06 AM

The balls def make a big difference, not to be too anal about all this wind business but i just went through a sleeve of nikes and below are my results, they are about 99% accurate with my specific club (G20) and ball (L71 Nike) set up as well as with the Callie (z)

Based on a clock face and all headwinds using full bs (I simply adjust the spin as necessary when my calculation shows that I am a few yds long or short)

Wind strength                            12 & 6                     11 & 1                     10 & 2

0-15mph (irons)                         x.70                          x.50                          x.33

0-15mph (Wedges)                   x.40                          x.30                          x.20

15-25mph (Irons)                      x.80                          x.60                          x.45

15-25mph (Wedges)                x.50                          x.40                          x.30

Over 30mph I'd probably add .20 to the above or pray for the best lol

For tailwinds, I simply used only 60-75% of the above calculations and it was close enough..

Obviously you also need to factor in elevation and green speed and and and :)

As the game has built in bugs/trickery etc, I figured that if I can land within a yard or 2 of where I want to be, 99% of the time, I'll be happy for now :-)

I have tried every single "wind method" in these forums and this is the closest I can get to something fairly reliable :-)

peace

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Tue, Oct 9 2012 9:01 AM

My numbers are about 10% greater than Lizard's.  The difference is probably swamped out by the precision/forgiveness variations.

The ball makes a noticeable difference.  The coefficients of lift and drag go right into the acceleration formula for determining the trajectory.  Also, greater spin increases lift.  Into the wind produces greater lift.

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 2:48 AM

10% higher per calc (ie where I show x.70, u use x.80 etc etc)?

I used full bs in my workings out coz I figure this is the highest the ball can go and therefore has the most wind effect?

Any further advice would be great..

• ThePhonenix
    118 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 6:00 AM

im fairly new here bt read a post by genobe one of the top players on here,he posted on wind

10-15mph headwind divide distance to pin(after calculating for any elevation) by 0.96

15-20mph headwind by 0.94

10-15mph tailwind by 0.96

15-20mph tailwind by0.94     iv had to adjust a tiny bit for balls i use and spin bit im usally left wi putts from 9ft downwards unless i miss ding badly, now i just gt to learn to putt  better from these distances. so have started to watch the top guys on here putts vids aswell

• Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Wed, Oct 10 2012 9:30 AM

Sorry Goldeena but I am no rocket scientist ;)

Would you mind much to put your numbers/equations into an example or 2 please, appreciate the advice but I dont understand it at all lol

Thanks

RSS