Forums

Help › Forums

Could someone explain this ?

Thu, Jan 28 2010 7:57 AM (80 replies)
  • MisterWGT
    122 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 1:28 PM

Greetings everyone!

I thought I’d add my two cents to this discussion in the hopes of answering any questions re: this forum’s speculation.

-          WGT does not have a system where you, as the player, improve your skills via an RPG-system like in other games -- i.e. arm strength, scrambling ability, luck (my personal favorite), etc.   In WGT, the attributes of your player are the same from day 1 on.

-          How you improve your ability and/or skill in the game is via two methods:

1)      Like real golf… simply playing, learning & getting more experience
             2)      Earning and/or purchasing better equipment (balls, clubs, etc)

-          The equipment manufacturers select which clubs to feature in the game and we follow their guidance on their performance characteristics.   For clubs, as an example, the attributes for distance, accuracy, loft, etc. we list in the pro shop via the ratings.  NOTE:  We created the WGT clubs to fill-in a few gaps… especially for the starting player.

-          Whenever you equip a club, it’s performance/output will NEVER change based on your score, a tournament, who you are playing or, most importantly, your tier.

-          Clubs are essentially locked and there is nothing automatically changing/modifying their performance during a single game, series of games, the day, etc.

So put another way…

-          If you are a HACK tier-player… the performance you will see with a WGT STARTER is the EXACT same performance a MASTER will see.

-          If you a PRO tier player… you will see the PING G10 Pro+ clubs performance in EXACTLY the same way as a MASTER tier player using the same clubs.

That’s how we built the system – so everyone is on a fair & level playing field.

- MisterWGT

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 1:59 PM

Thank you for piping in,  kind sir  :) 

I guess we are left to assume that the VEM technology has never been started, is not finished or is just not being used. 

You'll have to forgive us for prying and being such nitpickers, we were all just more than a little bit curious!

Cheers

Jay

• SLASHX
    278 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:40 PM

So the patent was filed for the VEM system but it is not used in the game is what you are saying? Is my understanding of this correct?

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 2:50 PM

SLASHX:

So the patent was filed for the VEM system but it is not used in the game is what you are saying? Is my understanding of this correct?

yes

• SLASHX
    278 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:04 PM

Then i guess the next obvious question would have to be why isn't it being used? Why would you develop a system as cutting edge as this one is... file a patent for it... and then not use it in a game it was designed for?

Edit... Here is the direct link to the patent.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=US2007066657&DISPLAY=STATUS

I guess it's just harder for me to understand them not using this since it explains a lot of the issues everyone has been experiencing... than it is for me to believe they would deny using it to avoid the reaction it may cause. No disrespect intended... just being honest.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:32 PM

iconian:

SLASHX:

yes

I'd like to hear Mister WGT's answer.............

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 3:48 PM

You won't get a cut and dry answer to that question, not because they are being intentionally elusive, but due to the proprietary nature of the system WGT uses.  No one at WGT is at liberty to discuss in detail the inner workings of that system.  It's like asking the CEO of any corporation to divulge any inner company workings and/or secrets:  It's just not going to happen, as it potentially compromises the integrity of that corporation and leaves them at risk from outside influences.

One thing that a few people are missing here is that there are complex algorithms in place that determine the outcome of every shot.  There are many different variables involved in those calculations, and the equipment used is only one of them.  It would not necessarily be mutually exclusive to have elements of the VEM system in place and have MisterWGT's answer be true. There's just more to the bigger picture than can be elaborated on and for now that's going to have to be good enough for all of us.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:01 PM

DiKong:

Yes after buying the better equipment that is suppose to hit further. I find that my ball always land around the same spo. From Heck to Pro I am playing around the same score actually.

I'm having a difficult time understanding your comment ... "From Hack to Pro"... You joined yesterday, have played four 9-hole rounds and one 18-hole round, and are an amateur. So why do you expect your score to be better?

Just wondering.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:31 PM

tibbets:
    No one at WGT is at liberty to discuss in detail the inner workings of that system.

Nobody is asking them to do this. The simple exchange of money for goods, intangible here, gives us a right to know what we're buying in to. A simple "Yes, it's in use among other things" would go a long way to easing the unrest at this deviation whatever. I personally could care less what they use, I like the daylights out of this game. I don't like being strung along with bland answers and double speak.

If this is your interpretation of what's going on I'm ok with that. If you're speaking for WGT I guess I'm ok with that but mucking up the waters with complex algorithims sounds like a string along. 

CEO's are accountable to stockholders. WGT should be accountable to those supporting them. JMO

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Jan 25 2010 4:39 PM

Can anyone share with the rest of us what this means for the game?

Is there no need for patches now, or should we still expect them?

Edit: If this VEM was implemented in the game, would this be the end of the beta format?

RSS