Forums

Help › Forums

3 irons vs hybrids

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 6 2024 8:37 AM (5 replies)
  • BigDaddyAdam13
    1 Posts
    Wed, Apr 3 2024 8:19 AM

My ping 3 iron and Ai smoke hybrid go the same distance = 225. Is there any advantage to keeping both in the bag? Does hybrid hit better from rough or other surfaces? Can't get much better distance from any other hybrid, and stats are about equal that i can tell.

The alternative, of course, would be to swap the hybrid for a third (64°) wedge...

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Apr 3 2024 5:25 PM

you should have a minimum of 3 wedges in your bag.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,505 Posts
    Wed, Apr 3 2024 6:33 PM

Lose the hybrid and get yourself a third wedge.

In RL golf, however, do the opposite unless you're able to hit it hard & high up in the air and put some backspin on it with 3I. Generally speaking, hydrids bring peace of mind to most amateurs.

tramilleo:
    love the new pic Simon

⇩ EDIT : Thanks, bro! :) I do too, but apparently, WGT (or someone) does not since they removed the original AI image Scott had posted along with all the other related postings there. ⇩

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2024 2:31 AM

love the new pic Simon

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2024 2:19 PM

I watched a lot of videos when I first started playing and the common advice I saw from some was, dump the hybrid and get a third wedge, which I did.  Not sure what level you are at but the one thing I have noticed at the Legend level is that everyone can drive and hit long irons and woods.  Key to the game is wedges and putting!

That said, I now understand why some of these guys create alternate profiles and start over.  I am at the point now where I win a few and lose a few.  Everyone I play against now is good and it is boring!  Seems like it is always two steps forward and two step back.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2024 8:37 AM

BigDaddyAdam13:

My ping 3 iron and Ai smoke hybrid go the same distance = 225. Is there any advantage to keeping both in the bag? Does hybrid hit better from rough or other surfaces? Can't get much better distance from any other hybrid, and stats are about equal that i can tell.

The alternative, of course, would be to swap the hybrid for a third (64°) wedge...

Many of us before we reached legend and the longer tees dropped the 3 wood as well and had 4 optional wedges.

RSS