Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to get from Pro to Master?

Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:21 PM (60 replies)
  • resozv
    895 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 11:31 AM

AdamTurner:
    I bought the master R9. Impossible to control consistently.

Adam, "Impossible to control consistently". In what way do you mean? Also, I've heard the 'hit' zone is smaller than the Pro driver. Is that true?

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 12:39 PM

I did the same last night. I purchased the new R9 and sold my Rapture driver back to them. (low on credits and didn't want to purchase more.) Man, I'm kicking my own butt about now. That thing is horrible to control. I'd gladly take my Rapture back and lose the extra 20 yards per drive.

And yes, the hit zone is about this long ---------------- on my 24" wide screen monitor. (tiny!)

GD

• cappiest
    1,345 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 12:59 PM
    Ya it is very difficult to get there......sorry to go a little off topic but it doesn't help when certain masters have a master and pro identity and they play you in challenge matches.......we all know who they are from other posts. Just makes me angry when they have a hard time getting matches so they use there pro identity to take other pros credits....right av.............lol pathetic
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 1:21 PM

Upon reaching Master, I made two purchases, The 270yd G10 and the Redwood putter. I think I am going to develop a nice love affair with the Redwood as time goes on and I become more comfortable with it. It has been a little tough to break in on the very fast greens. The G10 is also fun to play with. It is plenty long and very accurate...with conditions. The margin for error is tiny and a slight mishit is penal as the reward. The mishits go into areas that have been previously unknown to me. I have always placed a premium on the T-ball. Nothing gets me hotter than missing a fairway. I have been very hot all week with the G10. One more week is all I will give it, and then, if I must, move to the 255yrd Rapture.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 1:43 PM

SP...I LOVED my 255 Rapture, I just thought more distance after making master would be nice. Sadly, I was mistaken. I'm the same way with the R9. I'm missing fairways and it's driving me mad. Landing in a bunker from my tee shot is quite aggrevating.

I rarely ever missed with the Rapture and I want it back ASAP

Nice choice on the redwood, when you get used to it, I think you will love it. I absolutely love mine.

GD

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 2:28 PM

It seems natural that a Rapture master driver would at some point in time be available, perhaps in the 265yrd range. It would become the best seller at once, regardless of price. PS: GD, I love the Sooners!

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 2:39 PM

Way back when (July 10) I was working my way up the ranks and still getting the hang of things here, I took the plunge and bought some clubs. They had just been released and there was very little known about them. In real life I`ve always liked TM clubs, so I got the R9 TP 9.5 but for the irons I opted for G10 Pings because of the yardages fitting better for my game.

At the time my driving ave. was in the high 70s and climbing. I then worked with these new clubs for a couple weeks getting used to them and really enjoyed it considering I had been using the free clubs on BB in THE OPEN set up. I noticed one glaring factor during this period. My GIR was going steadily Up and my DA was dropping Fast. I decided to give it a little longer (a couple weeks) just to be fair. When my DA was edging the 60s I bailed out and bought the equivalent  Ping driver. I then saw my ave. go back up.

When I hit master (late Aug.) I didn`t even blink but, went straight for the Ping 8.5 with no regrets. I don`t know what it is with the TM driver. Maybe the accuracy is that much better with Ping, or maybe it`s just me. Choosing and using clubs (virtual or real) comes down to personal preference. I don`t feel any special loyalty towards a certain brand so I aimed for what works (for me) and what would be useful to my game even if it`s 5-10 yds shorter. Obviously accuracy is more important than some macho "basketball on a stick" that drives  waaaay long.....into the "land of the lost"!

I still have the TM and would gladly give it away if that was an option, but out of principle I won`t sell it back for a tithing to the carny..I mean the pawn......Pro shop where I bought it from! It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth to be so blatantly ripped off. I know...the difference between a pickpocket and a mugger...(wry smile)

I also still have my G10s and haven`t up graded to the master set because they work just fine yardage wise for me. I bought the Ping master HB-220yds to fill the gap and carry an extra wedge which I find more useful than a three wood. Also, the HB can be used in or out of the rough with great distances as apposed to the 3W which goes nowhere out of the rough.

Just my experiences, hope they`re useful to someone!   Cheers

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 4:13 PM
    Thanks for all the answers everyone. I was planning to do the same mefitz. Ping G10 8°, keep the G10 Pro irons & see how the Rapture 3w treats me. I got a long way to go yet, but always like to have a plan. I'd like to see G15's come into the picture or the Master Rapture SP spoke of. SP I see you've figured something out. Your last 12 scores are Master quality. imho
  • GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 4:41 PM

SP, holler sometime.....I'd love to shoot a game with ya. Iv'e read too much about your short game, so i HAVE to see it :)

I won't send you a friend invite since i haven't officially asked you if it's okay but please, feel free to add me and maybe we can play together sometime.

GD

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Dec 6 2009 5:12 PM

resozv:

" 2)  Flop it out of the sand."

I need a tip here. How do you all get a 15-20 yd., +30-40% lie , out of the sand and close (6'-9')  consistently?

Some sand shot tips ... it's always easier to flop out of soft sand such as at beth than it is out of hard sand such as at Kiawah ... ( as in real life ) ... even the master wedges don't dig the ball well out of hard sand ... the only bunker i found i could flop out of easily at Kiawah is the one on # 10 , and i would have to hit it 24 yds to make it go 10 ... if you have a high lip in front of you such as at Kiawah #5 it's impossible i've found to flop it out at all ... by contrast it's easy out of most bunkers on beth to make it go the right distance with a high trajectory like it should ... there are alot of bad lies that are unnoticeable at beth that can send your ball in crazy directions though so be prepared ... try pitch shots out of the sand but be prepared for a lack of spin .... that's my two cents ...

RSS