Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to get from Pro to Master?

Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:21 PM (60 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 12:29 AM

Happy  Thanksgiving to you to..

The redwood confuses many people at first..

The 15 ft meter gives you 3 different pulls  the first 2 are 6' each  the last one is 3'

The 30 ft meter is 5 pulls of 6' each

the 45' meter is 5 pulls of 9 ft

the 15' meter is great for short puts....most of mine are taken on the 30' meter

keep practising...with time you will find out just how good that putter is..

type what you are looking for  in the search box  everything you need is in there...

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:21 AM

Richard4168:

Hello Vardon,

Can you give me some advice on the Redwood putter? I just got it. Do I have to change the distance for every putt? I've left some short, GRRR!

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, I can't help you on that one simply because I've never used it.  I've just heard what is said the post above me.  I personally prefer the Anser.  It was the first putter I purchased and it will probably be the last unless something amazing comes out.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:35 AM

The Redwood putter is the amazing thing you're referring to. It's the upgraded Anser, so it doesn't make sense to me to hold onto the Redwood's earlier version (= Anser). It seems obsolete now.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:37 AM

Vardon:
    I personally prefer the Anser.  It was the first putter I purchased and it will probably be the last unless something amazing comes out.

The Redwood is that amazing thing, V. I used the Anser until it came out and it's worth going for. The 5th scale makes it really easy to fine tune the distances, just like pointed out above.

YJ

Ninja Fatterson on the case..........:)

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:42 AM

I'll look into it then.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 7:04 AM
    Oh no .... Vardon with a Redwood. I just watched him dissect b9 @ KI greens like a surgeon with a scalpel. And that was with his Anser.
  • Vardon
    50 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 7:13 AM

resozv:
    Oh no .... Vardon with a Redwood. I just watched him dissect b9 @ KI greens like a surgeon with a scalpel. And that was with his Anser.

Thanks for the compliment and the post in bunker shots.  I'll try the Redwood when I earn enough credits from tournaments.  Keep posting if you guys have any tips.  I'll add them to my original post and give you credit. 

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:53 AM

After playing with a few Pro tier players over the past few days, I've noticed that some players will use their putters from the fringe or fairway.

I would recommend against using the putter from the fringe or fairway (unless you're literally right at the edge of the fringe/green or if you're a putting wizard), and instead use the chip, pitch, or flop shots instead.    Judging distance needed to putt from the fringe is tricky, particularly if you have a bit of fringe to putt through in order to make it to the green.  

The type of shot you choose to use from the fringe is dependent on how far you are away from the green and distance to pin.   I exclusively use the pitch shot, but there are great players here who swear by the chip shot.   I'd probably try it, but I am very effective with the pitch shot from inside of 20 yards so I've never really had a reason to use the chip shot.   Of my 100+ holed approach shots, the vast majority have come using the pitch shot from around the green, and every pitch shot I take I expect to either come within 1 yard of the hole or, if I get a bit lucky, sink it.

Iconian made a very nice tutorial which should help with your chipping/pitching:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/3009.aspx?PageIndex=1

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:10 AM

Vardon:

resozv:

Thanks for the compliment and the post in bunker shots.  I'll try the Redwood when I earn enough credits from tournaments.  Keep posting if you guys have any tips.  I'll add them to my original post and give you credit. 

I purchased the Redwood and thanks to tips from Faterson and others am getting my putting down very nicely. It is very true and somewhat forgiving on the short putts and the steady and smooth meter speed gives me confidence on the longer putts.

Since buying the 245 yd Rapture driver and the Redwood putter my average has dropped about 8 strokes. I may look into upgrading from the starter irons, but I'm very happy shooting in the low 70s and don't really care to reach Master level.

Keep up offering tips and encouragement to others!!

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2009 10:15 AM

marioh:

After playing with a few Pro tier players over the past few days, I've noticed that some players will use their putters from the fringe or fairway.

I would recommend against using the putter from the fringe or fairway (unless you're literally right at the edge of the fringe/green or if you're a putting wizard), and instead use the chip, pitch, or flop shots instead.    Judging distance needed to putt from the fringe is tricky, particularly if you have a bit of fringe to putt through in order to make it to the green.  

The type of shot you choose to use from the fringe is dependent on how far you are away from the green and distance to pin.   I exclusively use the pitch shot, but there are great players here who swear by the chip shot.   I'd probably try it, but I am very effective with the pitch shot from inside of 20 yards so I've never really had a reason to use the chip shot.   Of my 100+ holed approach shots, the vast majority have come using the pitch shot from around the green, and every pitch shot I take I expect to either come within 1 yard of the hole or, if I get a bit lucky, sink it.

Iconian made a very nice tutorial which should help with your chipping/pitching:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/3009.aspx?PageIndex=1

marioh, I have added what you said above to the original post where I think the appropriate place for it is.  Thanks for the tip and keep them coming!

RSS