Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to get from Pro to Master?

Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:21 PM (60 replies)
  • Vardon
    50 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:06 PM

I've noticed lately, whenever I seem to play with a pro, they always ask me how I got to that elusive master tier.  It seems many believe that getting to that unthinkable master level is so difficult, it's almost impossible.  Well it's not.  I've been there.  And I'm here to help.  Now I might not be one of the best masters out there, but I've been here long enough to have a good general idea.  Here are some tips that got me and other pros to that master level.

1)  A key to getting to the master level is to purchase a different set of clubs.  Yes you can reach the master level with the starter clubs, but it is extremely difficult.  If you were to purchase a new set of clubs, I would recommend getting the Raptures.  They give you an increase in distance and have very good forgiveness.  You'll be able to mishit a shot and still get on the green or in the fairway.

2)  Flop it out of the sand.  I see so many pros hit that full shot out of the sand when they only have 15 yards to the flag.  This becomes very difficult to judge and gave me headaches whenever I was in the sand.  Just make sure to aim left of the flag.  Flop shots always go right of your intended line.  If you wish to see an example of what I mean go to http://www.wgt.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=63313 (my profile page), scroll down to replays and there should be one titled "Example of flop shot out of the sand".  By the way, yes I did make the putt and yes I did intentionally put it in the bunker. :)

3)  Learn where the good misses are on the course and what your miss is.  Prepare yourself whenever thinking of approaching a green where you would want it to land in case of a mishit.  For example:  #17 at Kiawah is my nemesis hole.  My miss is usually to the right so I aim a little left of where I want it to land and I make sure I have enough club to get it there.  At worst I will end up in the bunker rather than the water and I'll still have a chance at par.  This strategy is a must in order to get to that master level.

4)  Read nivlac's putting guide.  Just read it.  It will help your putting game so much.  http://wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

5)  I would recommend against using the putter from the fringe or fairway (unless you're literally right at the edge of the fringe/green or if you're a putting wizard), and instead use the chip, pitch, or flop shots instead.    Judging distance needed to putt from the fringe is tricky, particularly if you have a bit of fringe to putt through in order to make it to the green.  The type of shot you choose to use from the fringe is dependent on how far you are away from the green and distance to pin.   I exclusively use the pitch shot, but there are great players here who swear by the chip shot.   I'd probably try it, but I am very effective with the pitch shot from inside of 20 yards so I've never really had a reason to use the chip shot.   Of my 100+ holed approach shots, the vast majority have come using the pitch shot from around the green, and every pitch shot I take I expect to either come within 1 yard of the hole or, if I get a bit lucky, sink it.  Iconian made a very nice tutorial which should help with your chipping/pitching:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/3009.aspx?PageIndex=1

Credit:  marioh

6)  Play the back 9 at Kiawah.  At least for me, that's where the most birdie opportunities arise for me.  Holes 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, and 16 are all very easy holes to get birdies on and you might even get away with one on 12, 17, or 18.  We all have are favorite 9 to score low on and this seems to be the best for me.

7)  Be patient.  You'll make it eventually.  Play smart and you will.

These tips were merely what helped get me to that master tier.  These are what I have recommended to other pros and I hope this helps so many.  But, you must remember you are in a different league once you get to the master tier.  You have to deal with the likes of tibbets, AvatarLee, and nivlac.  They shoot day in and day out insanely low scores.  I have struggled in the master tier because of them and hold no grudges.  I wish they would come out with some tips.  If anyone else has any tips they would like to share please post here, I will add them, and give you credit.  Hit em straight!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:59 PM

Ive watched the players I play with in my ventrilo server..

There slow improvment comes from a slow steady progress in there course strategy first.

Then come improved chipping..no matter what  your still going to miss some greens.  Can you make the recoveries...

Stop  3 putting from 15'  thats a big key...Yes read Nivlocs putting chart...must reading..

Eventually  the 3 putting will stop and slowly  you will begin making more birdies...maybe at first its only  1 putt every 2nd or 3rd round. This slowly becomes making 3-4  important putts per round and thats when you become master...turn in all your scores...eventually  you will turn in low scores in bunches, most importantly, If you make master this way you will be ready for  the next step

• TheWombat
    23 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 4:24 AM

Vardon:

I've noticed lately, whenever I seem to play with a pro, they are always mesmerized by my master ranking.  

I can assure you that I'm not mesmerized by the master's ranking Vardon, in fact my thoughts on masters at the moment is bordering on contempt.

In group play, the slightest hint of a bad round have the masters disconnect faster than a rabbit going down a warren and in my experience expecting them to be there at the end of a round and actually finishing the game is a miracle.

I've no problem with anyone disconnecting providing they see the game through to the last hole, then at least they've provided competition for the other players - only then should they disconnect and save their average if they feel a need to do so.

I have played with a few good masters who have played the game through to the bitter end even though they have scored badly, now those guys have my total respect but such people are far and few between.

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 5:04 AM

But, that is your opinion.  I'm just going from experience of matches I have had.  I agree, there are masters who do quit and they should be ashamed of that.  I am not one of them, but I have had my fair share.  I would appreciate this post go forward as a guide for other pros that can be added to, not a verbal battle.  Thank you.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 6:59 AM

" 2)  Flop it out of the sand."

I need a tip here. How do you all get a 15-20 yd., +30-40% lie , out of the sand and close (6'-9')  consistently?

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:35 AM

resozv:

" 2)  Flop it out of the sand."

I need a tip here. How do you all get a 15-20 yd., +30-40% lie , out of the sand and close (6'-9')  consistently?

I use the normal swing in 30-40% lie.

I use tour starter clubs with the default ball, so how hard to hit it is determined by the clubs/balls/situation.   I use the tour starter wedges, so if I have a 20 yard shot from 30-40% sand right by the green (with little to no elevation change or wind), I'll do a normal swing with my 55yd tour starter wedge at around 45-48% strength with max backspin.

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 8:20 AM

I have put an example up on my original post showing you what I mean when it comes to a flop shot.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:05 AM

Thanks marioh, but your link didn't work. That's what I normally do with my Snake Eye 60° wedge. Just seemed like someone had a better way with flop. I know all about the flop, but only can do it well from perfect or 20-25% lie.

Which leads me to another question. How come a flop shot here runs so far after it lands? I play the flop shot 1/2 decent in real golf with a Vokey 58° and I'm lucky to get 3' of roll. Usually ball does a small hop & quick stop on the real course.

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:12 AM

resozv:
    Which leads me to another question. How come a flop shot here runs so far after it lands?

There's no way to get around that unless you buy a new wedge with a high spin rating.  Good luck out of the sand!

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:20 AM

Thanks Vardon for all the help. I'm off to the practice bunker. Shhhhh don't tell everybody where it is . lol, rofl,  lmao

Oh, OK, so my Snake Eye wedges don't have enough spin to get the ball to stop on floppers.

RSS