Forums

Help › Forums

Struggling to get from Pro to Master?

Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:21 PM (60 replies)
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:44 AM

resozv:

Thanks marioh, but your link didn't work.

D'oh, sorry.   It's one of my replays of a 12 yard shot from the sand trap on 4 at Kiawah.

The flop does work from decent sand lies, particularly the hard sand variety.   I use it primarily on BPB since the sand traps around the greens there are easier to get out of than at Kiawah (since most of the time I'm at 15-20% or on hard sand at BPB).

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:17 AM

Thanks for showing courage, and sharing some tips with us pros. Less can be said for some other masters at WGT.

Maybe their lack of concern is driven by ego and/or greed.

Thanks again Vardon.  : )

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:36 AM

Richard4168:

Thanks for showing courage, and sharing some tips with us pros. Less can be said for some other masters at WGT.

Maybe their lack of concern is driven by ego and/or greed.

Thanks again Vardon.  : )

Well I know how you pros feel.  I wish some masters would have shared some tips with me when I was struggling.  So, I wanted to help.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 11:47 AM
    OK I'm back from the practice bunker. I have totally sandblasted 2 of my 3 wedges hehehehe and have come to this conclusion. Vardons method works great on 20- 25% sand lies. Mariohs method works great on 30-40%. Softer sand (30-40) requires a bit more power, about 65-70%, seemed to work best for me. One really needs to practice & experiment. Relying on luck out of the bunker is a low percentage shot. Trust your club on a 20% lie flop to be true distance & full 40% lie @ 50% power to only travel 3/4's of that distance out of sand. Take into account high bunker faces 3+ feet need more power. Oh by the way .... do you know how hard it IS to put 1st shots in the sand when you're trying? I think getting in a 10' circle out of sand is a good goal to try for me right now. I'd definately rather even a 20' putt over a 2nd shot out of the sand. Thank you Masters for sharing with us. For your viewing pleasure see my replay ... 11.23.09 practicing from sand. And I too did make the 9' putt for a 9. lol Thanks again Vardon & marioh
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 12:11 PM

Hey Richard,

Type any question you might have about game play into your search box   >>>here>>>>

Then read all the great advice posts from fellow masters that are trying to help.

Most of those guys are just like anyone else. When you post sour grapes about egos's and other stuff like that here, your unlikely  to get much help...

Cheers, good luck and play fair.

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 1:28 PM

resozv:
    Oh by the way .... do you know how hard it IS to put 1st shots in the sand when you're trying?

It is!  It took me three attempts when I was creating my example.  I'm glad you have found your methods of hitting out of the sand.  Hopefully, you'll rarely have to use them.  lol

• hackerchris
    27 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 1:44 PM

what if u dont want 2 make master?

• Vardon
    50 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 2:45 PM

hackerchris:

what if u dont want 2 make master?

Well then don't post here.  That simple.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:10 PM

Hey danohi50,

I'm calling it like I see it. Where have you been? There's masters at WGT that wouldn't give you the time of day, let alone give some advice on a bunker shot, or what not.

There should be a running thread, non-stop with advice for hacks and pros a like, with the top masters weighing in on the discussion.

Sour grapes? I don't think so.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Nov 23 2009 7:19 PM

Hello Vardon,

Can you give me some advice on the Redwood putter? I just got it. Do I have to change the distance for every putt? I've left some short, GRRR!

Thanks for any help.

RSS