Forums

Help › Forums

Coronavirus

Wed, Mar 25 2020 6:09 AM (173 replies)
  • Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 5:40 AM

As others have tried to point out, the numbers infected are meaningless really if you haven't tested everyone.

Let's take a hypothetical situation-

2 countries of 10 million each with an open border, now, country A tests all 10 million and says 6 million carry the virus-

country B tests no one and says they have no cases of infection. 

Now, does anyone actually believe that country B would be virus free? Of course not, yet we have e.g. Thailand with infection cases, yet Myanmar and Laos have none? Would anyone in their right mind think that to be the actual case?

The countries i mentioned are just as an example, used to emphasise the point that some are testing more than others, so the figures are skewed  and somewhat meaningless at this stage.

The best advice i have seen since this all started is to act as if you do have it and behave accordingly, i.e. keep as much distance from others as possible and wash your hands frequently.

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 6:23 AM

Nicole161106:

As others have tried to point out, the numbers infected are meaningless really if you haven't tested everyone.

Let's take a hypothetical situation

very good point Nicole

italy  50.000 cases  (according 258000 test)   5000 deaths

germany 26000 cases ( i don t know how many test but for sure not more then us) 121 deaths. 

their medical system is better then us? NO

their population is younger ? NO

they started the lockdown before us ? NO

they are counting only deaths of people without any other patologies ? YES

• Baldace
    3,254 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 6:30 AM

craigswan:

Cannot even get a haircut now .

Not needed one for about 25 years :)

Clue's in the name :)

• Robert1893
    7,677 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 7:12 AM

On a related note, my dog (Hope) is still working on her social distancing skills.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 7:17 AM

maoriand1:
    they are counting only deaths of people without any other patologies ? YES

I'm in danger of being accused of stalking you ;-) It's just I don't see how this hasn't been pointed out more (mostly I'm meaning the press in general), most are still talking about comparative numbers.

How countries record coronavirus deaths Varies. The vast majority of the people who have died so far have been elderly and had one or more serious underlying health issues.

In these circumstances ascribing an exact cause of death is often difficult.

1. Some countries are recording only the deaths they can ascribe with certainty to coronavirus.

2. Some are recording the death of anyone who had been diagnosed with coronavirus.

3. Others are performing post-mortem coronavirus tests on people who had not previously been diagnosed with the illness.

So one "Coronavirus death" in a type 1 Country and ten "Coronavirus deaths" in a type 3, which Country actually has had more Coraonavirus deaths? I'm not suggesting I know, just trying, probably badly, to point out the futility in comparing apples and oranges.

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 7:33 AM

If you are hoarding toilet paper you are an idiot . There are other people to consider .  Don't be a c**nt

• craigswan
    31,012 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 9:12 AM

Ireland is providing all households two postcards to mail free of charge to maintain physical distance but support emotional connectedness.

Has anyone told Ireland about the Internet?

The virus can last for up to 24 hours on cardboard and 2-3 days on plastics, so… no thanks!

• craigswan
    31,012 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 9:16 AM

Gotta hold my hands up .

My wife used a groupon deal to buy some packets of toilet roll .

But in her defence she has crohn's disease .

I am still using page 3 of the dailly newspaper as long as it lasts .

Sunday was great because i got two free magazines inside .

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 9:18 AM

Every day at this time, there's an official briefing about covid in the country. The information about cases/deaths/recovered are highly detailed. (how many deaths, ages, if they were suffering from other symptoms e.t.c.)  

• maoriand1
    1,279 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2020 9:35 AM

Yiannis1970:

Every day at this time, there's an official briefing about covid in the country. The information about cases/deaths/recovered are highly detailed. (how many deaths, ages, if they were suffering from other symptoms e.t.c.)  

Same here in Italy but still 290.000 test on 60 million of citizens. The problem is still don t know the real number of cases I guess.  Of course makes 60million of test is impossible.  Probably we have not only 50.000 cases. The lock down started on 9th March. Today 14days. the numbers should start to decrease I hope. 

RSS