Forums

Help › Forums

WIND VARIABLES

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:59 AM (53 replies)
  • Tony08888
    566 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 9:10 AM

99% is a bit strong. Should have said “most of the time”.

In my personal experience, it is my errors that cause errant shots most of the time. [emphasis added]. 

Other than the meter jumping every great while, I rarely experience the type of glitches described above. Could be the device I use since our iPads are cycled out once a year with new ones (work iPads). 

Maybe devices over a year old are causing the Fellas to experience these glitches?

At any rate, I appreciate your hypothesis of 80%. From my experience only, I will move my percentage from 99% down to 95%. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 10:05 AM

I obviously don't know the percentages exactly Tony, I was just postulating, but have observed enough from my own experience that there do appear to be other factors at play at times.  People can call those glitches, bugs, variance, vem, and mistakes can also play a big part in there.  I have never dismissed or ignored that.

Tony08888:
    Maybe devices over a year old are causing the Fellas to experience these glitches?

That could always be a possibility, but it does not account for similar observation on the PC EA version, which is also described as a work in progress... so that too could be a factor.

I didn't address Miantiao because I learned from Sean's (11BC2) efforts and my own understanding at the time, in this thread, that he appears incapable of genuine dialogue.  Even though that was over 2 years ago, I try not to forget what it is like beating your head against a brink wall so I don't do it when they try to suck you in.

His behavior tends to be more geared to antagonizing rather than pursuing a deeper understanding of the game and he doesn't appear to have changed.  I could say my understanding has evolved, but I am also aware it is impossible to know anything for certain in regards to WGT because we can't see behind the curtain.

That said,  I don't beat my head against those walls others put up... and while I remain short of mastering the game, I do feel my understanding of the game has allowed me to progress along quite well.  Just as so many others have done so, who may hold different interpretations and understanding.  What only matters is... does it work for you!

Best of luck.  

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 10:52 AM

@ el,   I have to agree with you, I'm not going to offer up any more,  as I've been reminded what Mark Twain once said,  " Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with all their experience. !"   I hope at least he  gets a free sleeve of balls, for all his efforts to defend wgt. 

• dhjam1
    577 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 11:00 AM

Luckystar5:

@ el,   I have to agree with you, I'm not going to offer up any more,  as I've been reminded what Mark Twain once said,  " Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with all their experience. !"   I hope at least he  gets a free sleeve of balls, for all his efforts to defend wgt. 

• Tony08888
    566 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 1:02 PM

I know you weren’t coming up with an exact percentage. Neither was I.

I decided to do the math as best I can. I play about 500 holes a week and experience maybe 1 questionable/unusual ball distance and/or wind variance per day. That takes me back to the original 99%. Lol.

Who really knows. I just don’t believe I personally have experienced the volume of “glitches” others may be either experiencing or perceiving that unpleasant shots are the games fault.

Side note: Adults do not argue. They discuss. I hope I didn’t come across as argumentative. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 3:03 PM

el3n1:
    I didn't address Miantiao because I learned from Sean's (11BC2) efforts and my own understanding at the time, in this thread, that he appears incapable of genuine dialogue.

Ed, I've tried to keep out of this as much as possible but that really wasn't fair.

I read the thread you linked and Miantiao has the same understandanding of what VEM is doing as I do.  In short it is in use as precision and forgiveness not as something that makes a shot suddenly go way off the line it should take. 

He related thet he hadn't experienced what the rest of you understood as VEM and what else can he do/say,  I don't think I have either.  How does someone prove your type of VEM isn't happening?

I think the aggressive tone started with, did you even read the patent in the link I provided?  It then got a bit silly and personal from all of you but nothing major.

I also watched the video of Young46 playing the 5th at Olympic; 189yds to go with a 16-18 wind almost behind he hit his 180yd 6I at 98% or 99% with fbs on a high spin ball.  He mentioned he wanted a little roll.  The shot carried 181yds into the slope at the front and rolled back slightly. I don't see any geat surprise in this result at that hole.  Do you think he'd play the shot the same way if he had it again?

On that subject many of us have watched quite a few live tournaments now, quite a few players are showing all their rounds lots of chances to see VEM in action.  Where are the video's? 

As I said I wasn't going to get involved in this but I've experienced what it's like being the one saying that kind of VEM doesn't happen and it's not pleasant.  It's a minority opinion but I think that's simply people not admitting their falibility :-))

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 3:12 PM

Tony08888:
    I decided to do the math as best I can. I play about 500 holes a week and experience maybe 1 questionable/unusual ball distance and/or wind variance per day. That takes me back to the original 99%. Lol.

Or just over :-)

Lets say 1,800 shots.  Each time you could make a mistake; take the putt to 30% when you meant 40%, maybe not quite take the approach up to 100%, not the amount of spin you meant, see the wind from the left and move left to compensate instead of right (maybe it's just me that's done that one).  Anyway there are a few things to do every shot so if over 1,800 you are getting seven wrong I'd say you're doing very well.   Of course if the seven are caused by VEM you're infallible :-))

Tony08888:
    Side note: Adults do not argue. They discuss. I hope I didn’t come across as argumentative. 

Well said and you don't. 

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 4:40 PM

DodgyPutter:
    but that really wasn't fair.

Alan I appreciate you commenting, I respect your willingness to dialogue in DM as we have done in the past.  I have learned from you as well.  But trying to suggest this whole discussion is about VEM, when I don't believe it is. 

It may or could be one very small part, but that was not my primary focus.  I sought to support the observations of someone I know whose experiences do reflect some of my own observations.  I can't say exactly because we may still view some things differently, but he definitely didn't deserve the indifference or belittling comments that were directed at him as though he hasn't learned anything from his own experience playing WGT.

I suspect the reason you assumed VEM was the only point being brought up is because some of our own discussions were centered on that topic, so maybe you felt that is the only facet I was bringing up.

I felt the comment you quoted was actually rather restrained, but suggesting my comment is not fair while failing to point out neither are his comments fair in that he tends to demean or belittle others... if you are going to suggest someone is not fair then be fair in calling the other person out as well.  

I was not happy when I saw others calling him a troll, I felt that was a bit far but I hadn't time to respond then.  I could have used that word but I didn't.  He simply comes across far more obstinate and less willing to dialogue.  I would not say the same about you... even though we disagree on some things we have still discussed various topics and I can still respect you for that.  

I also felt Tony was attempting to dialogue as well, which is why I addressed him.

I haven't and don't get that from Mantiao ... that is the difference for me.  but I reference the old thread, because that was reflective of my experience with him, not necessarily because VEM was the only topic of concern.  It was just the topic I had encountered his obstinance in discussing a topic.

The reality is … I believe we can all view this game differently and find what works for each of us.  I don't try to set out to demean or belittle others suggesting they are rubbish or illogical.  

You want to talk or chat, you know you can message me.  But I am growing increasingly weary of the forums and the combative nature some bring to them.  I have tried to contribute and give back because I learned so much reading them, especially in my first year on WGT... but it can get frustrating at times too.  

The one thing I can say... it has probably saved me a butt load of credits on balls because if I hadn't been researching or reading or trying to contribute in the forums, I would have likely been playing.  LOL  

Good luck all... I am taking a break.

• Tony08888
    566 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 6:00 PM

DodgyPutter:

Each time you could make a mistake; take the putt to 30% when you meant 40%, maybe not quite take the approach up to 100%, not the amount of spin you meant, see the wind from the left and move left to compensate instead of right (maybe it's just me that's done that one).

Wow! Have you watched me play? Lol.

Thanks for the backup.

~ Tony

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 6:01 PM

I spoke too soon about not having any glitches. 

I just signed up for a TL ready go, and when I teed off, the game automatically replaced my driver with my 3 wood, and it replaced my 3 wood with a starter hybrid. I sent WGT a ticket about it, asking for my 200 credits back, so we'll see. 

RSS