Help › Forums

WIND VARIABLES

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:59 AM (53 replies)
  • BronxBarrons154
    23 Posts
    Thu, Mar 5 2020 6:09 PM

Luckystar5:

...This being the case, it isn't fair to us, to say that there is a 30 mph x wind, and when you hit, there is nothing, no wind. I can see them making the conditions a little variable, like say 30mph and give you maybe 20mph, in reality.  

I could not have said this better but as a subsequent Poster stated, it seems to be largely about the “precision” built into your clubs.  Hit a shot with low to medium precision, your ball blows past the hole by “20 yards.”  Hit the same shot with high precision club, your ball lands like a “puddy cat” dropping from the sky... 6 inches from the cup: role = zero.  The choice is ours to make... spend money or watch a ton of videos to buy high end equipment.  Otherwise... it is like fighting “the Borg.” 😁

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 9:51 AM

BronxBarrons154:
    Hit the same shot with high precision club, your ball lands like a “puddy cat” dropping from the sky... 6 inches from the cup: role = zero.

Lmao, the rubbish some people say to excuse lack of knowledge, understanding and skill beggars belief.

In regard to 'precision' you'll find not much difference between a 3.5 precision rated iron and a 4.5 rated one.

The big difference between irons is spin rating.

However, high spin balls and clubs are very susceptible to movement in moderate to high wind conditions. 

Its very entertaining seeing players use a high spin expensive $8-10 ball, top rated irons and wedges, haven't a clue how to use them, then whinge like a toddler when their shot falls short 15 yrds, or the wind carries it off 20 yrds right or left. All because they have no idea whatsoever.

Sounds like you'd be a candidate for this type of player.

I've played alt games with players who use a WGT ball and middling irons who play them very well.  They know their clubs, the ball they use, and how to use them according to individual holes and conditions.

• BronxBarrons154
    23 Posts
    Sun, Mar 8 2020 11:23 AM

Please post a link for your YouTube video(s) that will share with and teach others the exceptionally high level knowledge and skill set you apparently feel you have.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Mar 8 2020 7:11 PM

BronxBarrons154:

Please post a link for your YouTube video(s) that will share with and teach others the exceptionally high level knowledge and skill set you apparently feel you have.

If that's directed at Miantiao, which it appears, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself now. Just look at his career earnings as well as month-to-date and yearly earnings. Additionally, look at the guy's stats and scores he posts. 

The guy is a legit Tour Champion. If you don't understand the talent required to accomplish what he's done, you don't understand the game.  

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sun, Mar 8 2020 11:03 PM

BronxBarrons154:

Didn't know one needs a YouTube channel to prove one can play...

Anyhoo, no "apparently" about it son, I've nothing to prove.

Robert pointed out how embarrassing your comments must be for you. He's right, but I'd hazard a guess that you're more jealous and frustrated than embarrassed.

Look, just own the fact that you're a well below average player who knows nothing about the game and feels it necessary to blame all and sundry as an excuse for your own inadequacies and inabilities.

I'd like to thank Robert for his praise but its only because I've been playing a lot of rounds since early January.

I usually go months or even years without playing, but when I play I give it a good nudge.

I'm still learning and I'll miss the game as it is when it becomes digital history.

Mike

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 4:46 AM

Robert1893:

BronxBarrons154:

If that's directed at Miantiao, which it appears, just stop. You're embarrassing yourself now. Just look at his career earnings as well as month-to-date and yearly earnings. Additionally, look at the guy's stats and scores he posts. 

The guy is a legit Tour Champion. If you don't understand the talent required to accomplish what he's done, you don't understand the game.  

And if he is like the other top tour champions he already has many youtube videos showing how he plays. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 8:50 AM

borntobesting:
    And if he is like the other top tour champions he already has many youtube videos showing how he plays. 

your philosophy is in order to be good at WGT you have to make you tube videos?

I haven't seen anything that stupid posted in a public forum in a while. And i have friends that make FB posts supporting Commie Bernie.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 9:36 AM

Mythanatos:

your philosophy is in order to be good at WGT you have to make you tube videos?

I haven't seen anything that stupid posted in a public forum in a while. And i have friends that make FB posts supporting Commie Bernie.

While borntobesting can certainly speak for himself, I believe you have completely misinterpreted what he wrote. 

He's basically saying that because Miantiao is a top Tour Champion he's likely to have made some YouTube videos. In other words, because other top Tour Champions have YouTube videos, borntobesting believes it's likely that Miantiao has them as welll.

But I'm confident that borntobesting is most definitely not saying that in order to be good at WGT a player has to make YouTube videos. 

By the way, let's leave the politics out of this.  

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 2:38 PM

This site is overrun with CC paper Champions who collapse back to Tour Pro level when they have to play from the back tees with any kind of wind. These players have made the Champion tier a lot less impressive than it once was... But, when you come across a Tour Champion with a 53 average and a 1.3 putting average, it's safe to assume they've played a few rounds and probably have a pretty good understanding of the game.

I don't know Miantiao, and I've never seen him play, but going by stats alone, if he did decide to make a Youtube video, I'd definitely watch it. 

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 2:44 PM

Rebellion27:

Hey all.

Love the game, yes a few little glitches here and there but generally AWESOME!!!

However, i have one big gripe and one that imo is easily solved. 

Wind Variables. Far too often we face winds in Tournaments, RGs, Brackets etc that just mean you are pretty much dead before you start. And although in real golf tournaments you can get the good side of the draw or bad, its never as frequent or as brutal as in WGT. I'll give an example. Playing a Ready Go Front 9 at Pebble Tierless. 1st hole, 25 into off right. 2nd Par 5, 25 head wind, 3rd par 4 25 head off left, 4th 25 head wind, 5th 25 tail, 6th par 5, 25 head. These winds have happened more than a few times even in just this format, but happens in lots of things, yes occasionally get the opposite winds but to me seems far rarer and i do take note. The difference between those winds above and the opposing winds is likely about 3 shots. Of course one can argue, thats just a random part of the game, deal with it. I just think there is an easy solution to make it fairer in every round for every player. The worst part of it is on Par 5s, some get a juicy tail and good shot at eagle, some get 25 head and face a 3rd shot of 100 yards into a brutal wind for a wedge. To me thats just not right.

Solution. Make the winds the same for all BUT with a 20-35% variation.This would mean small tails for some can become small heads for others etc....Giving more of a fair shot to those who get the bad winds. Its easy coding and because still a decent variation, means shot sharing or double account temptation isnt really a factor.

Please WGT.... consider this, the game will be far better for it imo.

Many thanks.

This had me wondering: do finalists in the eTour and Live Series get the same wind setup? I have a strong suspicion that they do, because in single play the wind plays the main role in deciding the scores. So WGT can indeed set the same parameters for everyone; although they certainly won’t do it with a large group of players (this is taken care of by allowing unlimited play). 

On a related note, I’m working on a new method of wind generation, and I hope to write an article on this topic soon. I think this new method, if adopted, and it’s a big IF, will be the most balanced and most fair, way of dealing with wind generation for everyone. 

RSS