Help › Forums

WIND VARIABLES

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:59 AM (53 replies)
  • Rebellion27
    27 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 3:31 PM

Hey all.

Love the game, yes a few little glitches here and there but generally AWESOME!!!

However, i have one big gripe and one that imo is easily solved. 

Wind Variables. Far too often we face winds in Tournaments, RGs, Brackets etc that just mean you are pretty much dead before you start. And although in real golf tournaments you can get the good side of the draw or bad, its never as frequent or as brutal as in WGT. I'll give an example. Playing a Ready Go Front 9 at Pebble Tierless. 1st hole, 25 into off right. 2nd Par 5, 25 head wind, 3rd par 4 25 head off left, 4th 25 head wind, 5th 25 tail, 6th par 5, 25 head. These winds have happened more than a few times even in just this format, but happens in lots of things, yes occasionally get the opposite winds but to me seems far rarer and i do take note. The difference between those winds above and the opposing winds is likely about 3 shots. Of course one can argue, thats just a random part of the game, deal with it. I just think there is an easy solution to make it fairer in every round for every player. The worst part of it is on Par 5s, some get a juicy tail and good shot at eagle, some get 25 head and face a 3rd shot of 100 yards into a brutal wind for a wedge. To me thats just not right.

Solution. Make the winds the same for all BUT with a 20-35% variation.This would mean small tails for some can become small heads for others etc....Giving more of a fair shot to those who get the bad winds. Its easy coding and because still a decent variation, means shot sharing or double account temptation isnt really a factor.

Please WGT.... consider this, the game will be far better for it imo.

Many thanks.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 6:34 AM

Rebellion27:

Hey all.

Love the game, yes a few little glitches here and there but generally AWESOME!!!

However, i have one big gripe and one that imo is easily solved. 

Wind Variables. Far too often we face winds in Tournaments, RGs, Brackets etc that just mean you are pretty much dead before you start. And although in real golf tournaments you can get the good side of the draw or bad, its never as frequent or as brutal as in WGT. I'll give an example. Playing a Ready Go Front 9 at Pebble Tierless. 1st hole, 25 into off right. 2nd Par 5, 25 head wind, 3rd par 4 25 head off left, 4th 25 head wind, 5th 25 tail, 6th par 5, 25 head. These winds have happened more than a few times even in just this format, but happens in lots of things, yes occasionally get the opposite winds but to me seems far rarer and i do take note. The difference between those winds above and the opposing winds is likely about 3 shots. Of course one can argue, thats just a random part of the game, deal with it. I just think there is an easy solution to make it fairer in every round for every player. The worst part of it is on Par 5s, some get a juicy tail and good shot at eagle, some get 25 head and face a 3rd shot of 100 yards into a brutal wind for a wedge. To me thats just not right.

Solution. Make the winds the same for all BUT with a 20-35% variation.This would mean small tails for some can become small heads for others etc....Giving more of a fair shot to those who get the bad winds. Its easy coding and because still a decent variation, means shot sharing or double account temptation isnt really a factor.

Please WGT.... consider this, the game will be far better for it imo.L

Many thanks.

Believe it or not the real pros have this as well. Many windward courses the winds change during the day, The players that play early morning have 1 wind and those that play later in the day have a completely different wind. 

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 6:39 AM

Rebellion27:
    Of course one can argue, thats just a random part of the game, deal with it

And that is the argument. It is random. Additionally, because it's random, in the aggregate (i.e. the more games one plays), it will even out. 

In any case, this issue has been raised multiple times. I don't see WGT changing setups.  

• Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 9:11 AM

Agree with the post and also believe there should be some wind variable while playing. During play the wind should vary while time is passing before-during-after shot. Just giving a plain fixed wind is not that realistic. Even when a shot clock is used at some point during that 40 seconds the wind will increase-decrease-change some direction, that is of course unless we are playing during some type tropical depression. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 10:11 AM

In over 50 years of playing golf, there is one factor that never changes, that is, that wind does change.   But in real life there are hints that can help you, such as when you're getting ready to hit your shot, look at the tree tops, or clouds,  if they are moving, so is the wind! I used to watch my partners cigar smoke, or look at the flag on the green, if it's flapping like a bunch of geese trying to fly, then it's windy.   Unfortunately, wgt doesn't give you these clues.  This being the case, it isn't fair to us, to say that there is a 30 mph x wind, and when you hit, there is nothing, no wind. I can see them making the conditions a little variable, like say 30mph and give you maybe 20mph, in reality.  

• Rebellion27
    27 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 2:38 PM

Personally i dont think wind changes before during or after our shot in WGT... strange variances are down to the "precision" built into clubs.... which means sometimes doesnt matter where you aim, it will start off in a different direction. The clue there on it being random not wind is it immediately starts off wrong, not where you aimed and blows of course or not enough.

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 4:41 PM

Yep, when I look at a bracket and see Best of Par 5 in round 3 I won't enter.

• downunderkid
    39 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 11:34 PM

totally agree with you m8 good post as for the boot lickers they never agree with anything 

• kensabre10
    2,859 Posts
    Thu, Mar 5 2020 9:59 AM

why ask for something advanced when they cant even program the current system right?? the winds work when they want and are sometimes backwards. its happened to many. and NO in this game if it shows 20-22 lt to rt then thats it! it IS a video game after all, NOT the real thing, for those who imagine its anything close. . .WAY too many glitches than years ago. bogus game now. . .

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Thu, Mar 5 2020 3:55 PM

kensabre10:
    .WAY too many glitches than years ago. bogus game now. .

So says a Tour Legend who can't crack 30 @Wolf Creek teeing off from the car park on any 9 holes.

The problem isn't dealing with wind to get close, rather it's random wind allocation in Tournaments ie; players playing the same round are apparently not playing with the same wind direction.

RSS