Help › Forums

WIND VARIABLES

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 16 2020 8:59 AM (53 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 10:12 AM

Dex000:
    I had to play a bracket round on my iPad today, and I was surprised at how much easier the mobile game is compared to flash or PCEA. Putting especially. It seems like all you have to do is set the pointer in approximately the right spot and get the distance right and putts just drop. Maybe it was just one of those rounds where everything just works, but there seems to be more forgiveness when it comes to missing the ding than with the other versions.

Trust me. It really was "just one of those rounds." 

The consensus has always been that putting on the mobile platform is more difficult than it's been on the flash version. The only exception I have ever seen are downhill putts that have a fair amount or more of drop in elevation Those putts do seem easier on mobile.

I think where the increased forgiveness on the mobile platform comes in is with approach shots. It's been my experience that mobile platform is more forgiving on missed-ding approach shots.  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 10:51 AM

Robert1893:
    The consensus has always been that putting on the mobile platform is more difficult than it's been on the flash version.

I believe it depends on which platform your started out on.  

What I mean is, the consensus of dedicated mobile players will find flash more difficult when they tried playing on a PC and the consensus of dedicated flash players will find mobile more difficult when they transition to mobile or EA.  It is reflective of which platform you have spent the most amount of time playing on.

I don't believe either is substantially more "difficult"  or "easier" than the other.  Once you learn the nuances of each... it appears the putting formulas and the greens break as expected... the reason and rationale as to why they appear to break differently.... well that is a lot longer post and possibly up to some debate... 

That said, it does and has led me to make mistakes by going back and forth between the two... so whichever platform you play...

I do believe you are better off focusing on one platform or learning the subtle nuances of each very well... 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 1:14 PM

Miantiao:

Luckystar5:
    Pc version may play just fine, but we on the mobile side have lots of glitches

Rubbish.

I bought a new MacBook Air yesterday because my MacBook Pro’s screen decided it had had enough. It’s now in the shop getting repaired.

Anyway, FlashPlayer was nowhere near stable using Firefox, particularly on the greens where it counts. The dots were two paced, and the meter was jumping all over the place like a toddler on red cordial. This cost me quite a few rounds and potential winnings as a result.

In general, FlashPlayer needs constant reinstalling, every 2-3 days. 

So, please spare me your rubbish. 

Did you try clearing your cache, cookies and memory ?  

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 1:24 PM

Robert1893:
    The consensus has always been that putting on the mobile platform is more difficult than it's been on the flash version.

I don't know about mobile, but putting on the PCEA version is MUCH easier than in the flash game. It seems the same on mobile, with dot speeds and aiming points and the grid, but maybe there are differences. The challenge for mobile seems to be that it's harder to set the aim point in the right spot, but the putts still seem to drop more frequently, which was why I thought it was more forgiving.  

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 2:56 PM

Luckystar5:

If in the pub I’d answer that question with a statement about a bear, the woods, and going to the toilet….

What a silly question.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 3:18 PM

Luckystar5:

Now THAT is some good stuff right there.

Thanks for the smiles

Don

• dhjam1
    577 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2020 3:33 PM

Luckystar5:

Miantiao:

Luckystar5:
    Pc version may play just fine, but we on the mobile side have lots of glitches

Rubbish.

In general, FlashPlayer needs constant reinstalling, every 2-3 days. 

So, please spare me your rubbish. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 5:08 AM

There is a lot of good stuff in this thread. I wish Miantiao would post a few videos. I would watch with pen and paper in hand!

Over time I started realizing most of the errant shots were coming from me and not the game. Once I started paying attention to the details before the ball is hit, I started figuring some things out. Sometimes I forgot to add backspin, or I didn’t change to the right club after calculating the shot, or I forgot to take the windage into consideration, and so on....

Luckystar5:

Pc version may play just fine, but we on the mobile side have lots of glitches, espically when they fix the pc problems.  All of those that claim that everything is just hunky dory, should come down off your high horse, and over to the mobile version and try it.  If you dont, then don't try to explain precision, and all that other garbage you push.  If you haven't tried it, then you don't know. 

I am a mobile player, and yes mobile has some glitches, but not to the extent of wrecking a game. Most of the time it plays just fine.  

I also agree that precision isn’t as important as spin. I have L85 Apex irons in inventory with the same precision rating as my L90 P790’s. The Apex can’t compete with the play I get from the 790’s because of the spin rating.

I also play with a Tour Champion who plays with L83 Pings. The Precision and Spin ratings are less than the L-85 Apex’s, yet he is a great player. And he is a mobile only player.

Point is, 99% of the time, it is the player’s ability and not the platform or the equipment.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 7:50 AM

Tony08888:
    Point is, 99% of the time, it is the player’s ability and not the platform or the equipment.

I think you make some reasonable points but i definitely disagree with this.  

The game does appear to help players at time... remove that help, such that the game plays more challenging, and then play relatively normal most of the time.

I would adjust the expectations to maybe 80% normal or what you observe most of the time, maybe 5% helping, 5 % not helping, and then 10% that can be somewhere in between.  

Also coin games imho are clearly more susceptible to these observed variances because of the limited holes played.  You do not have another 6 or 8 holes to recover from a glitch type shot.  I would wager ranked rounds play similar on both platforms.

Since many mobile players do play coin games, it does seem plausible they would appear to observe more glitch like rounds when the outcome can be determined by one swing.

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 8:52 AM

el3n1:
    Since many mobile players do play coin games, it does seem plausible they would appear to observe more glitch like rounds when the outcome can be determined by one swing.

One swing or putt can determine a 9 or 18 hole round just as it can a silly coin game - one shot often determines who wins. Ties are common.

el3n1:
    I think you make some reasonable points but i definitely disagree with this.

This statement defies all logic.

RSS