Help › Forums

An appeal to WGT...

Sat, Jan 4 2020 3:28 PM (51 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2019 12:31 PM

fredsf:

DodgyPutter:

There probably are a few exceptions but I'd reckon most withdrawals were players that started their round and at some point thought their chance had gone, surely that's up to them but would be very unfair if their opponent then has to beat someone else as well (in the same round).

I believe we all think that way Dodgy. You're committed to go as far as you can until your eliminated, you have a bad round with no chance to go thru, you're frustrated, you WD. Happens all the time to pretty much everybody and it's fine.

Fair enough Fred so outside that group who are we talking about?  Two players that I know of; one who didn't know the rules for the event when he played the qualifier and one who wgt made ineligible for the trip.  There may be others who thought that like the qualifier the bracket was unlimited or some such.

Even if as you say in some cases it's about ego, is that really so bad?  This (the qualifier) was a new event where the top players could measure themselves against other top players using unfamiliar equipment and there aren't many chances for them to do that.  If someone who couldn't or didn't want to go on the trip thought the qualifier sounded fun or even wanted to show what they could do in it, is that so wrong? 

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2019 2:13 PM

DodgyPutter:

Even if as you say in some cases it's about ego, is that really so bad?  This (the qualifier) was a new event where the top players could measure themselves against other top players using unfamiliar equipment and there aren't many chances for them to do that.  If someone who couldn't or didn't want to go on the trip thought the qualifier sounded fun or even wanted to show what they could do in it, is that so wrong? 

Depends on our mindset I guess. I'd not take a chance to take something from somebody just to flatter my ego or to measure myself against others and then do nothing with it. The game offers plenty of opportunities for that.

I really want to believe that 126 on 128 of the players who qualified wanted to do that trip Dodgy, I really do. ;)

That said I wish you all a Happy New Year, may 2020 brings you all the best. Be safe out there tonight.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2019 3:01 PM

Ok Fred, I'm done.

All the best for 2020 to you and yours too :-))

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Jan 1 2020 5:19 AM

FWIW, here's another person who believes that if you can't or don't want to make the trip should you make the top 8, then don't take a spot in the bracket from someone who could/would -- extenuating circumstances aside.  

Solely because there is no prize for qualifying. 

Now if there was a prize (say the 2000cr thing), then by all means have at it even if you have no intentions of travelling. 

Good on WGT for not having that prize -- maybe it deters some from taking spots they aren't going to use.

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 2:30 AM

JSmithers:
    Quitting something because you aren't doing well or aren't going to win is not how we were raised.  At least the majority.

People withdraw from tourney's for 100's of reasons, all be it some are lame I am sure. I myself have had WD's from CC tourney's mostly because I forget about them. I have a busy life with work and family commitments and grandkids and other  things. Even had a withdraw because of unexpected company that stayed longer than I wanted. By the time they leave to late for me to play the round. We have to remember this only a game and we will never make any money from playing it or at least I won't. lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 4:02 AM

callaghan159:

JSmithers:
    Quitting something because you aren't doing well or aren't going to win is not how we were raised.  At least the majority.

People withdraw from tourney's for 100's of reasons, all be it some are lame I am sure. I myself have had WD's from CC tourney's mostly because I forget about them. I have a busy life with work and family commitments and grandkids and other  things. Even had a withdraw because of unexpected company that stayed longer than I wanted. By the time they leave to late for me to play the round. We have to remember this only a game and we will never make any money from playing it or at least I won't. lol

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I think you two are talking about different WDs in different situations.

You wouldn't start a critical round that really matters in the middle of a day when plenty of unexpected things could happen, would you?

And JS, that isn't how I was raised either. My ol' man always said to me "Finish what you've started!" I apply it in every aspect of my life.

Happy New Year to You All.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 4:59 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

You wouldn't start a critical round that really matters in the middle of a day when plenty of unexpected things could happen, would you?

And JS, that isn't how I was raised either. My ol' man always said to me "Finish what you've started!" I apply it in every aspect of my life.

When can't unexpected things happen? ;-)

People have different times, amounts and precisely when in the day, available to play. The unexpected things are usually part of real life and as said this is a game, why get upset about how others play (or don't.....or do then don't)?

I think I was always told to "live and let live" although recalling an instance is difficult now :-/  Strange as I can more precisely remember being told "Santa was fed up with biscuits and milk and wanted crisps and beer" and that "if I ate enough vegetables my body would make them taste like chocolate".

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 5:52 AM

There's always going to be unexpected things occur.  I don't think anyone's saying there aren't ever WD's because of that.

What we're saying is...don't take a spot in the bracket if you already KNOW you can't or won't travel to wherever the top 8 go. 

I think we can really stop bringing up WD's because of unexpected things.

• pmm711
    5,516 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 6:55 AM

kavvz:
    What we're saying is...don't take a spot in the bracket if you already KNOW you can't or won't travel to wherever the top 8 go. 

And what about the players who "think they can go" but then can't because WGT only gives a short amount of time for you to plan for the trip?  This has caused some winners to WD after they've won their brackets merely because they can't get time off from work or because of an unexpected personal issue that popped up and prevented them from committing to travel last minute. 

IMHO the best thing to do is to just let everyone play the game as they please and then let WGT sort out the 8 finalists who can commit to travel and participate in the live event. 

When a PGA Tour professional travels to an event and pulls out on Wednesday due to  back spasms (or whatever) do you trash talk that guy?  No.  So why trash talk about any player of "this game".  After all, it is just a virtual game and I guarantee there are some players who just click and play tourneys to get a variety of play in and don't really read all the rules of each tourney.  No single way WGT can police WDs and they shouldn't have to...just let the chips fall where they may at bracket ending.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Jan 2 2020 7:18 AM

pmm711:

kavvz:

And what about the players who "think they can go" but then can't because WGT only gives a short amount of time for you to plan for the trip?  This has caused some winners to WD after they've won their brackets merely because they can't get time off from work or because of an unexpected personal issue that popped up and prevented them from committing to travel last minute. 

The when and where of the finals are known before qualifying begins I believe.

Don't think it's that hard really...Look at your calendar, look at where it is, figure out how much its gonna cost out pocket... Is the answer to any of that no I can't go.  If so, then don't  play the qualifier.  What's the point of playing if you already know you can't go.

As I already said, extenuating circumstances aside just use common sense.

RSS