Forums

Help › Forums

An appeal to WGT...

Sat, Jan 4 2020 3:28 PM (51 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 9:30 AM

seifvai:

Im one of the wd, i did it by mistake thinking i had unlimited trials, so i should be banned from another event because you were too late to register???  

No, you are not. This thread is about this tournament:

http://www.wgt.com/golf-tournaments/leaderboard.aspx?id=f2b612cac9074d928c2dab2201054268

But, let's say for the sake of it that you were qualified....how many brackets have you played in wgt with unlimited trials?

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 9:38 AM
    If players don't shoot the qualifying score, tough. If someone wants to WD it's up to them. They've earned the right to do what they want.
  • fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 9:42 AM

I don't think punishment or bans or anything can apply here. I don't even see how and why WGT should be involved in the fact that people WD or not. You can always say "I qualified, earned my spot and I can do whatever I want with it." In a way, you're right...but if you know you have to travel if you move on to the next rounds and you're not interested in going anywhere to play, just sit aside! 

Kinda like you're the last one to get one of the counted free meal and 50 people in the line behind you lost their chance. Then you tell them, I was not hungry anyways and throw the meal in the garbage. If you're selfish enough to do so, then there's not much to add, but if you're not, think about it next time you have the opportunity.

Only thing I read in Yannis' words is use your common sense if you have any and let the opportunity to someone who would love to have his chance to go play the game in Abu Dhabi if you're not interested in it.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 3:09 PM

fredsf:
    Only thing I read in Yannis' words is use your common sense if you have any and let the opportunity to someone who would love to have his chance to go play the game in Abu Dhabi if you're not interested in it.

Eight people are going, no matter how many withdrew this would still be true.  If some of the suggestions here were followed through all it would mean would be someone who didn't qualify by the score they got would have the chance to take a place away from someone who did. How fair would it be if someone was knocked out by a provisional score or whatever?

There probably are a few exceptions but I'd reckon most withdrawals were players that started their round and at some point thought their chance had gone, surely that's up to them but would be very unfair if their opponent then has to beat someone else as well (in the same round).

The idea that players informing wgt they are going to wd, wgt seeing this and sending out invites to others and those people seeing them in the time there was between qualifying and the bracket is supremely optimistic, especially if you imagine not everyone is on 24/7.  Do you think they'd even not include/replace someone who by their rules couldn't go to Abi Dhabi?  When they only had one person covered by this rule.  I'd not be surprised if he hadn't even been informed he wasn't allowed in any more untill after qualifying.

We can all make scenarios to prove a point but this thread was started specifically to punish people that withdraw from the bracket as that seems to offend some others who think to wd is somehow morally wrong.  Lol, they wd a bracket guys, eight people still won the trip. 

I absolutely am not pointing the finger at anyone here. I could start a thread about how sandbagging is morally wrong, the sort where players avoid rr's except in the big money tourments, how this takes credits from people genuinelly at that tier etc etc and how these players should be punished.  It certainly seems more wrong than a wd.  There are probably more things that could be mentioned but I don't believe it anyway, if it's not against the rules it's allowed.  We may not always like it and we can even rant a bit if we like.. 

Seifvai; I reckon you should follow the example of STB a couple of posts above (the deleting bit) although it doesn't always help.

• JSmithers
    1,263 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 6:37 PM

Honestly a WD is weak.  But to each their own.  I know when I WD (rarely but I have) it makes me pretty disappointed in myself.  Quitting something because you aren't doing well or aren't going to win is not how we were raised.  At least the majority.  It is disappointing to see WDs in a tourney like this where other people would have loved the idea to compete for the trip.  Just my 2 cents.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,503 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 7:43 PM

DAZZA501:
    If players don't shoot the qualifying score, tough. If someone wants to WD it's up to them. They've earned the right to do what they want.

THIS!

Even though I understand where Yiannis is coming from and what he tries to explain, I basically share the same view with DAZZA.

But maybe, just maybe... we could implement a system to prevent anyone who has withdrawn twice in a row for whatever reason, either accidental or deliberate, from entering the next tournament. It is highly unlikely though it will really happen 'cause it would require additional programming and coding to track the records of players and we all know WGT...

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 10:24 PM
    fredsf:

I don't think punishment or bans or anything can apply here. I don't even see how and why WGT should be involved in the fact that people WD or not. You can always say "I qualified, earned my spot and I can do whatever I want with it." In a way, you're right...but if you know you have to travel if you move on to the next rounds and you're not interested in going anywhere to play, just sit aside! 

Kinda like you're the last one to get one of the counted free meal and 50 people in the line behind you lost their chance. Then you tell them, I was not hungry anyways and throw the meal in the garbage. If you're selfish enough to do so, then there's not much to add, but if you're not, think about it next time you have the opportunity.

Thumbs up for your post my friend!!
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 10:46 PM

DodgyPutter:

We can all make scenarios to prove a point but this thread was started specifically to punish people that withdraw from the bracket as that seems to offend some others who think to wd is somehow morally wrong.  Lol, they wd a bracket guys, eight people still won the trip. 

Yes DodgyPutter, eight people will get through no matter what, there's no question about. As like one will always win the bracket if there had been 15 wds. Let me go a bit further...No, my intention wasn't to punish the players. The thread was started and intended as to show frustration and disappointment. Punishment was only proposed as a mean to avoid in future similar attitudes and give to players a proper incentive to deal with it seriously.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Mon, Dec 30 2019 11:09 PM

Hi

At least from next qualification onwards those people who have no intention of going n thus not participating would be sturdily appreciated. There were people who didn't even bother to Tee off hole 1. That kind of nought seriousness n thus affecting the overall consistency n making a different impact in the entire bracket will bring nothing good but zero motivation for future events for the organisers as well as players.

Those people who played their rounds (bracket) n WD didn't do anything wrong in my eyes because they might have already knew that their score wouldn't have made any difference n thus a WD and those who posted their scores irrespective of how bad it were, admire it n end of the day no judging in both cases. 

This Abu Dhabi qualification were rushed in so many ways n should have done before Holiday season too, If u ask me n I hope now everyone is aware of what's what as there were lots of confusion regarding rules n regulations n about the platform where it will be played.

Rest of the future qualifications are very much looking forward n hoping lots of new faces in live events. SOTW n it's inconsistency will make this ETour a complete different experience. 

:) :) :) 

- Carl 

• fredsf
    1,460 Posts
    Tue, Dec 31 2019 5:00 AM

DodgyPutter:

There probably are a few exceptions but I'd reckon most withdrawals were players that started their round and at some point thought their chance had gone, surely that's up to them but would be very unfair if their opponent then has to beat someone else as well (in the same round).

I believe we all think that way Dodgy. You're committed to go as far as you can until your eliminated, you have a bad round with no chance to go thru, you're frustrated, you WD. Happens all the time to pretty much everybody and it's fine.

My remarks go to people who never had the intention to go to play the Finals. Again, if you know before you sign up you don't want to go anywhere to play, why then would you intend the qualifiers and worse, make everything possible to put your name on top of the leaderboard?

I believe the answer is on my 1st post. And I believe you gotta be very (VERY)  proud of yourself to do so.

There's no morale behind these words. On another hand, the word "Community" is used in this game. If it has no means whatsoever, so I suggest WGT removes it from the new game in development.

RSS