Forums

Help › Forums

Next update

Wed, Aug 7 2019 4:39 PM (55 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 12:55 PM

DodgyPutter:

Perhaps where my confusion (or lack of reading ability) comes from is that the post you responded to in the first of these referred specifically to the op. Your reply says you had already noted that happening, yes maybe with others but to use it as an answer does indicate that's what you thought was happening here.  Sorry if it's not.

Maybe add a general lack of comprehension on my part as I've no idea why you are highlighting that you assumed ....... Does assuming something show you're not being judgemental?

You did ask a question this time and I already gave one possible answer. My guess would be it's at least as likely (as he, and perhaps others, thought of selling them even when asking for them) to be like a spoiled kid that just wants everything and many of us here are like that.  Free stuff is offered to people that ask for it, so they do.  It's often not something they really need but it's free and it might just help them play better.  After a while (sometimes quite a short while) they find it's not the answer and move on to the next shiny toy.  They do not however ever get something with the intention of immediately selling it, cynical as I am I can't quite belive that.  There are many other possible explanations, so yes I find your assumption that you've said why they do it judgemental.

A sliver of evidence for my theory that people ask for expensive stuff not with the intention of immediately selling it; balls, what many ask for is much more expensive ones than they usually use.

Perhaps I did not read into your post everything you intended, and vice-versa.

However, I did not refer to the OP but to some of the requests in general in the Christmas in July thread.  I still see no reason offered for anyone to get CLUBS (as I stated) that were no better than what they had unless they intended to sell one set or the other.  Perhaps you can offer at least one of the "many other possible explanations" for them to get equal clubs for my enlightenment.

I agree that people like to try out better balls than they normally use, and those requests were mostly fulfilled, TMK.

I will try to be clearer in the future.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 4:16 PM

DoctorLarry:
    Perhaps you can offer at least one of the "many other possible explanations" for them to get equal clubs for my enlightenment.

That's a bit hampered by the fact you weren't talking about the op and I've no idea who you are talking about, but I'll use the op to illustrate one for you.  It takes a bit of work and I'm a touch peeved at your attitude so you'll get the one you asked for and that's it.

Simply put there is a difference.  The op was gifted the p970's yet soon after (on the 25th) bought the apex 19's, which are slightly cheaper and available five levels earlier.  On the face of it a bit odd. He loses yardage and spin but gains a slower meter.  

About the same time he changed from the Max balls to the L95 TP5, these gave him more distance and spin but a faster meter.  He couldn't handle the meter with the p970's and the better balls so thought the 19's with them may be a better combination than the 970's and the max balls.  I think he's now on to the the 19's and the max balls.

People want different things and sometimes it's a combination of clubs aand balls that get the right balance between hitting the ding and getting enough distance and the right spin for them.

Or more simply he dumped the p970's and got the 19's as he couldn't handle the meter or the former, he thought he could when he asked for them but found he couldn't.

Just in case it's a problem that I moved the question from equal clubs I was assuming equal didn't mean exactly that as I doubt if there's such a thing in the shop (I've not looked).

• aichapman
    1,347 Posts
    Tue, Jul 30 2019 6:05 PM

Sad to see my club owner brought into the issue of "a member of ours" asking for gear, but glad he was notified .

From time to time there will always be folks looking for "free lunches" and if they don't deserve them, so be it.

Mike ( ozysouthpaw ) our owner will, I am sure, sort it out.

He (Mike) is a hard working and fair dinkum bloke, doing his best to juggle , work, family and running our club. Just in case anyone is interested.

Cheers Alan

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Aug 6 2019 7:28 PM

people never amaze to cease me ... 

Was that Yogi Berra who said that?

• AlaskanDame
    18,996 Posts
    Tue, Aug 6 2019 11:19 PM
    I got a late present from a Santa who had been out of town during the regular time. Since y'all seem to be scrutinizing bags, let me alert you that sometimes you will see my bag still has the old MAX irons, not the gifted Rogues. I have not sold either set yet. I LOVE the new set, but I have a bunch of balls that played well with the old set, and I want to use them up. As referred to above as a possible explanation for the OP, I have found that I need a meter just a bit slower for the balls in order to get the best from my gifted irons. I might not ever sell the MAX irons as there will always be the monthly free balls to use up, but if I do sell a set of irons, it sure won't be the lovely Rogues with the 225-yarder that is being just as useful as I had hoped.

And, as originally posted in July, I have continued the "paying forward" with, so far, two putters and a 3W to other members.

Cheers!
  • callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 1:09 AM

I suppose your theory is a possibility AKD, and I would not be surprised to see the OP come on here and repeat what you have suggested, but for some reason he has not responded which in my opinion represents guilt. My opinion. I gave out over 50,000 credits worth of gifts in July Christmas and I am not sure if I will do it again. This is the 3rd time I have been scammed. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 4:06 AM

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 5:19 AM

TopShelf2010:

callaghan159:
    I am not sure if I will do it again.

Exactly why I have stopped being so generous... in both the Christmas in July and the 12 Days of Christmas. Let alone the random acts of kindness throughout the year.

Don

Why not just do it in your within your club?

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 5:39 AM

• AlaskanDame
    18,996 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 10:53 AM

TopShelf2010:

callaghan159:
    I am not sure if I will do it again.

Exactly why I have stopped being so generous... in both the Christmas in July and the 12 Days of Christmas. Let alone the random acts of kindness throughout the year.

Don

I completely understand.  And, yes, the OP should be responding to the giver’s question that was on his wall.

I was just meaning to explain what you might glimpse in my bag, not really defending the OP.

RSS