Forums

Help › Forums

Next update

Wed, Aug 7 2019 4:39 PM (55 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 11:30 AM

Robert1893:
    While that is correct, it does have the potential for taking away from future events. When there are appearances of players taking advantage of other players' generosity, some people are going to be less likely to gift in the future.

Indeed, over the last couple of years some have decided to either give less or not give at all because of the actions of a few recipients. No one likes to be taken advantage of or even feel as if he or she were taken advantage of. 

I try to give the same or even more every year. But when I see the same names every year asking for stuff and some I know should be giving instead of asking for stuff I begin to wonder if it is worth it, 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 12:13 PM

DodgyPutter:

Wouldn't like to see what you say when you are being judgemental ;-))

I think your judement was probably fairly accurate in the quoted post.

Maybe you should learn to read before sniping.

I was not referring to the OP - I said I saw several of the requests asking for clubs no better than what they had.  I also said I assumed they were going to flip them - why else would they do that?

I think you should climb down from your pedestal before you fall off.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 12:18 PM

Robert1893:
    Indeed, over the last couple of years some have decided to either give less or not give at all because of the actions of a few recipients. No one likes to be taken advantage of or even feel as if he or she were taken advantage of. 

Yes, unfortunately many see this as a chance to get undeserved free stuff.  Many seem to have no clue that it is another player that is paying for it - at least one requester even stated they thought WGT was footing the bill!!  I am afraid others know full well what they are doing and don't care.

The Christmas programs and the Gift of Golf Foundation are plagued by greedy requests that take away from some players that really could use the help.  That is why I look at individual requests to see if they appear to have merit before I donate now.  

If that seems harsh to you, feel free to donate to the freeloaders.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 4:52 PM

Short story .

When this event first started ,, Thank you Sir ,    It was something to be there and be part of ,  when I was asked to do the July event it meant more to me than any of you can know .

Fast forward a few years and watching how it all changed I get a Email from a friend that said "  I am done , and walking away " ,  And I understand why !    

Next year or so go by with good and bad , The bad happened and the good  made it right .

This year I was asked If I was going to ?   my reply was I dont think so , # 1 was busy with work , # 2 was its not the same as it once was .   And I understand !  

The reply I got back was " but OPY the community know and trust you "  .

I asked for help and it was the help who ran the event this year , Thank You ! 

Also glad  It was set for only 7 days and not the 12 .

If ( said if  )  I  host the event next year ,  I am going to change the format to 5 days for players to ask for a gift , at the end of  said 5 days the Santa,s will then after looking at Sally wants a doll and Bobby wants a GI Joe will we pick who gets a gift .

OPY 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 5:21 PM

opyeuclid:

If ( said if  )  I  host the event next year ,  I am going to change the format to 5 days for players to ask for a gift , at the end of  said 5 days the Santa,s will then after looking at Sally wants a doll and Bobby wants a GI Joe will we pick who gets a gift .

OPY 

Thanks, OPY for working on this.

It sounds like a good idea to separate the asking and the giving.  Maybe Santa and the elves can catch a few winks along the way!

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 5:28 PM

True 'nuff. I scaled back this year as my pockets ain't deep. I do like to participate in some small way just because I believe these events are a noble cause. Those who scam others generosity need to take a good look in the mirror an' see if they like what they see. Then again, if they have no conscience, feel free to carry on in their deceitful ways. It will, however,  come back to haunt them eventually, in ways they might not even imagine.

Doc :(

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 6:41 PM

drmoose:
    pockets

Doc ,  Riddle me this Bat Man ,  ( old school opy )  .  We all give back to this game in one way or another , A gift of a wedge or a sign to look for ? A bag full of the best or a Squatch to find ? A game with a new friend as one from old is gone .   But yet we look fore what we cant find .

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Sun, Jul 28 2019 8:07 PM

Robert1893:

Lutjanid:

The joy is in the giving. If people scam the program then it's only a reflection on themselves. It takes nothing away from the wonderful and generous spirit of the givers.

While that is correct, it does have the potential for taking away from future events. When there are appearances of players taking advantage of other players' generosity, some people are going to be less likely to gift in the future.

Well said Robert, I couldn't agree more.

MC

• VanMeerV
    991 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2019 6:21 AM

While that is correct, it does have the potential for taking away from future events. When there are appearances of players taking advantage of other players' generosity, some people are going to be less likely to gift in the future. 

You know who needs something and who does not , is there a way to chat with people who are doing the donating to chat with each other ? To make sure people really need ? Maybe I am sppeaking out of turn here but when I was giving I never brought up in forums, I loved giving gifts to lower tiers, now it has stopped since 2015 due to health but picked up a little this year since I had a little extra. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Jul 29 2019 7:59 AM

VanMeerV:

While that is correct, it does have the potential for taking away from future events. When there are appearances of players taking advantage of other players' generosity, some people are going to be less likely to gift in the future. 

You know who needs something and who does not , is there a way to chat with people who are doing the donating to chat with each other ? To make sure people really need ? Maybe I am sppeaking out of turn here but when I was giving I never brought up in forums, I loved giving gifts to lower tiers, now it has stopped since 2015 due to health but picked up a little this year since I had a little extra. 

Actually you don’t know who needs to be gifted something and who doesn’t unless you remember them getting gifts from previous events. But even then they might be on a fixed income and can only afford few extras. Remember most internet connections aren’t cheap. 

RSS