Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP 2019

Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:47 PM (1,489 replies)
  • PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:18 PM

By the way maybe it would be best to clarify before it gets closer; the shield is ko so no strokes there?  That's where it will make a difference and where the handicap system worked best last year with lots of close games and matches.

are you saying al that handicaps should be left in the shield?

it was and always is my intention of having handicaps,i wouldnt do this comp without them you knew that jim,

im always in favour of the underdog but have maybe been less lenient on the higher tier this time,

i have posted that it will be 12 players as its only 3 group games less than half the games last year and as you said alan i dont think any legends mad it to the knockout stages,

i really didnt think it would be a problem with handicaps,it has worked well in all the last comps,

by the way jimbo

this was your post to jockyoche last year,whats changed mate

Sounds like you didn't do your due diligence. Had you done so you would have known Paul put this together to afford players the opportunity to meet new friends and have fun competing. Handicaps are a way of drawing in those that would normally sit on the sidelines and they happen to work well in this competition.

You're a fly in Paul's ointment and TBH, tyvm for dropping out as you don't possess the right attitude for this.  3 years of WC, 3 different winners and teams are coming out of the woodwork to play. Enjoy the sideline.

• Nicozandberg
    719 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:30 PM

PAULFINN52:

Sounds like you didn't do your due diligence. Had you done so you would have known Paul put this together to afford players the opportunity to meet new friends and have fun competing. Handicaps are a way of drawing in those that would normally sit on the sidelines and they happen to work well in this competition.

You're a fly in Paul's ointment and TBH, tyvm for dropping out as you don't possess the right attitude for this.  3 years of WC, 3 different winners and teams are coming out of the woodwork to play. Enjoy the sideline.

LMAO.... Ill ask Hulk Hogan to help you get your foot outta your mouth.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:30 PM

That's how you support the leader. That was last year and if you recall, I told you exactly where I was going this year with respect to handicaps so it should be no surprise to you. 

Page 3 of this thread, your words.....

"no handicaps and bigger squads and possibly starting march,we will see lets get some teams on the board first"

No discussion, a few opinions and status quo. Like I said.

p.s., Stuff it, Nico.

• Nicozandberg
    719 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:35 PM

So funny to see you try explain your way out of this. Some people just can't take one on the chin. 

* PS Ill stuff it as soon as you get it out of your mouth.

• amateur4sure
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:39 PM

Come on Guys, Let just play this Great Tournament with whatever rules are in play.

We are bigger than this *** so come on.

Finny`s World Cup so lets do it and no fuss please.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:02 PM

It worked well before, no reason for Finny to change anything imo. This tournament is better off without Captain Dunning-Kruger anyway.

• AbigailGrace0
    664 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:17 PM

Hey guys,

Can someone let me know when this is going to start?

thanks,

Si

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 3:19 PM

PAULFINN52:

By the way maybe it would be best to clarify before it gets closer; the shield is ko so no strokes there?  That's where it will make a difference and where the handicap system worked best last year with lots of close games and matches.

are you saying al that handicaps should be left in the shield?

I'm saying they are ko games and so you and NicoZ have implied they wont have them, or at best it's unclear.  I agree that the handicap system worked well last year it's the taking it away in the ko rounds I don't agree with.

PAULFINN52:
    i have posted that it will be 12 players as its only 3 group games less than half the games last year and as you said alan i dont think any legends mad it to the knockout stages,

I said semi's (or meant to), there were some in the earlier ko rounds although I don't think someone getting two strokes in a tie made any difference to who won each match.

This isn't about top players, they could give genuine Legends two strokes/holes easily, it's about players of similar standard to me where it can change the result.  I think that's fair enough and what the competition is partly about.  The reference to the shield is as that's where players of my standard are likely to meet Legeds in the ko rounds.

I don't think 9 from 12, picked months previously, neccesarily does work (unless there's no illness, family issues, holdidays, change in work pattern etc etc etc).

I'm just giving an opinion here not trying to get involved in an arguement. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 4:14 PM

Nicozandberg:
    So funny to see you try explain your way out of this

What's to explain? Regardless of how you feel at the time, you keep your personal views out of the limelight so as not to distract from the leadership. That's exactly what I did when Paul was besmirched for his efforts  while at the same time having PM's with Paul about my stance. That how grownups deal with real issues.

Fast forward to this year where my stance was already known and waiting to be discussed and I run into your ilk that unilaterally decide this is the way it's going to be. Shields??Air shots?? WTF are those and where did they come from? Sounds like something out of The Legend of Zelda.

Don't diminish my real position with your asinine comments. You weren't privy to my conversations with Paul and I am mortified that he has to resort to BS tactics like taking words out of context, especially ones that had his back at the time, to manufacture whatever point is he was trying to.

Do not make this anything other than what it is, a difference in perspectives. This is Paul's attempt at replicating the real World Cup-the one where the best play the best and there are no handicaps for the weaker teams. I wanted to think this competition evolved into that and was the best against the best. Apparently it's not and that's OK. It's simply a community affair for everybody, not what I was hoping for.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 6:43 PM
    First and foremost, I respect Finny's and agree, this is his tournament and he can do as he sees fit - that is his prerogative,

Nicozandberg:
    Last year it was the same, but the system was bettered as a few "Legends" were asked/ agreed to forfeit their handicaps.

Whilst those two cases were different, to me, it immediately highlights there is a problem, and many players who my not be exceptional, but still very good players can "ride the system"

Take Tiger in his hey day (or any top golfer) and an event organiser said to him. "mate, you are too good, can we dock you a couple of holes.....or can you take a couple of air swings"......

I would like to think this comp had evolved from being a Pro-Am....but obviously not.

RSS