Forums

Help › Forums

WORLD CUP 2019

Tue, Jun 18 2019 8:47 PM (1,489 replies)
  • AbigailGrace0
    664 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 9:50 AM

lol - 'air shot' and 'looking at any bandits' lost me - sorry finny. :)

hopefully you'll clarify the entire format before we tee off. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:31 AM

PAULFINN52:
    but i dont want to lose touch with the people who have to watch videos and pay for their equipment because they cant win any money because they do it for the love of the game

I am one of those said players, and I am not good enough to earn my way via winning credits, however, I relish the opportunity to play the best, but only on a level playing field.

Winning a hole by an air shot or even a match......that's not a win, it is a consolation prize....a charity offering at best. What a hollow feeling that would be. That is my definition of sad.

• giraldin
    3,712 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 11:58 AM

Paul Hello again, I see you've spent the new year very close to where I live (Alicante) and Benidorm is no longer what it was, jajajajjajjaja

And another thing that I would like to know, since I know that there are very good players in this thread that can surely force WGT to decide for once to provide uniforms with more flag colors from other countries, such as SPAIN.

If anyone does, he will have my most cordial friendship for life.

Thank you

Luis

• binkybaxter1
    1,556 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 1:06 PM
    YOUR GAME YOUR RULES Paul..............if some people dont want to play then TOUGH ;-)
  • Nicozandberg
    717 Posts
    Thu, Jan 10 2019 10:39 PM

Here is my viewpoint.

2 Years back, handicaps were used throughout the competition.

Last year it was the same, but the system was bettered as a few "Legends" were asked/ agreed to forfeit their handicaps.

This year, handicaps will have even less of an influence as its only used in the group stages and the handicaps in matchplay will be watered down to air shots in stead of holes.

The amount of Legends and below who will actually receive these handicaps (judging on last year's competitors) will make up a very small part of the entire field. We must also consider what  Finny set out to do initially when he started this competition. He wanted to give EVERY WGT member a chance to compete in a fun tournament.

I'm 50/50 on the handicaps myself, but I understand that it is part of the competition. I also appreciate that the handicaps will not have much effect on the outcome, and that Finn has been willing to change his rules in recent years to accommodate those opposed to the system.

So my personal viewpoint: If the rules don't suit you, if you want to set ultimatums or you are too elite to play against lower tiered players with a small handicap in group play, then maybe this competition is not for you. Feel free to organize your own.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 9:34 AM

As one who would prefer no handicap, that's well said Nico.  I for one will not opt out simply because there's a rule in place I don't like.  It's still the only CC v CC competition around so am looking forward to it. 

Still don't know what an air shot is though... :)  

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 9:41 AM

alanti:

Winning a hole by an air shot or even a match......that's not a win, it is a consolation prize....a charity offering at best. What a hollow feeling that would be. That is my definition of sad.

It may not "technically" be a win, but in this competition it will be considered that.  Everyone who agrees to play understands that so there shouldn't be any hollow or sad feelings at all IMO.   You know what you signed up for.  

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:34 PM

Nicozandberg:

I'm 50/50 on the handicaps myself, but I understand that it is part of the competition. I also appreciate that the handicaps will not have much effect on the outcome, and that Finn has been willing to change his rules in recent years to accommodate those opposed to the system.

So my personal viewpoint: If the rules don't suit you, if you want to set ultimatums or you are too elite to play against lower tiered players with a small handicap in group play, then maybe this competition is not for you. Feel free to organize your own.

My personal view is that is completely random, if it's the social tournament it used to be then why should those deserving of them get shots is some games but not others?  I do agree it wont make a difference to the latter stages, last year none of the teams that reached the semi's had a player getting shots/holes, it will make a difference to the margins of defeat.  This was all sorted last year and worked fine.

What wasn't changed but was much discussed last year was squad size which from memory ended with Finny saying "we'll look at it next year", I'm guessing it was three quick nods to the status quo as I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Last year I had increasing trouble finding eight to play the longer the competition went on.  Yes folk should only sign up if etc etc...  but real life can be unpredictable. To say pick a squad of 12 and play 9 of them tomrrow is fine but in three months, arranging games with folk in different time zones, isn't always the breeze the retired etc think it is.

I do agree with you that those unwilling to play under the rules you three make shouldn't, a slight problem being that teams are asked for before we see the final rules completed.

By the way maybe it would be best to clarify before it gets closer; the shield is ko so no strokes there?  That's where it will make a difference and where the handicap system worked best last year with lots of close games and matches.

• amateur4sure
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 1:52 PM

Finny has been running this Superb Tourney for some time now and each Year it has got better and better, He has his Elves in the background assisting whenever possible and he is a sponge as far as taking in advice that People go ahead and proffer.

Bottom line, A Hats off to Paul for putting this Brilliant competition on and taking loads of time out to do so. This is Finny`s dream and his rules, He has amended and taken on board lots of advice from others over the past few years and whatever the rules are I personally take pride in playing this Tournament and regardless of Handicaps (I`m against) i say bollox to it, Let us play, Have fun, Meet knew folk and do our best for our CC`s.

One thing I would never do ever is question the rules that the Organiser has implemented and would certainly never pull out because of said rules.

Come on Folks this is Finny`s Comp lets get together and have some fun ffs.

Handicaps or Not, Yeah.!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2019 2:02 PM

DodgyPutter:
    I do agree with you that those unwilling to play under the rules you three make shouldn't, a slight problem being that teams are asked for before we see the final rules completed.

Bingo. No discussion, a few opinions and then status quo.

RSS