Forums

Help › Forums

New legend - unprepared!!!!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:15 AM (46 replies)
  • flatstick96
    208 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 12:56 PM

Nearly everyone will recommend the Cleveland wedges because they're very good - but they're also expensive.  If cost is no object to you, get them and you're all set for a good long time.

If you want cheaper wedges "for now", until you've gotten to a point where you've accumulated enough credits for the more expensive wedges, the ATV/Gorge wedges in the L39-42 range present an excellent value, IMO.

Your driver is fine - most people here end up playing that one for quite a while.  If you want a little more length, higher trajectory, and a slower meter, then the Cally that unlocks at L85 is a good choice.

Ditto the 3W; the Cally that unlocks at L86 is a logical "next step" from what you re currently using.  

In my experience, from the Legend tees, the little bit of extra mustard from the slightly longer driver and 3W comes in handy.

Your irons are fine and should serve you well for a while.

Same goes for the putter; if you like it, stick with it - as in real life, putters are pretty subjective - once you find one you like, there's no shame in continuing to use it.  One of the highest earners in WGT history uses the L55 Daytona.

• ernestious
    332 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:36 PM

You forgot the Flopshot YankeeJim. done wonders to my game.

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 7:52 PM

Score History shows 1 game at Legend on July 4th. 9 rounds after that dated up to July 6th  show as Tour Master.

Can someone explain.

Thank You

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 8:16 AM

ernestious:

While Jim can certainly speak for himself, I seriously doubt he forgot about the flop shot. Regardless, I think his point is spot on: learning pitches, punches and chips with the wedges is what will make a player competitive.

Now, don't get me wrong. The flop shot certainly has a role in all of that. But, at most, I probably use a flop about 5% of the time. Around the green, I'm much more likely to either use a pitch or a punch shot. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 8:18 AM

TyMacni:

Score History shows 1 game at Legend on July 4th. 9 rounds after that dated up to July 6th  show as Tour Master.

Can someone explain.

Thank You

Probably tournaments the player entered before tiering up. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 9:21 AM

ernestious:

No, I didn't forget it, I just don't push it. IMO, it's a great shot but gets overused by many, often at the cost of learning those pitches and chips.

I play with Champions that still flop everything in sight and they're great on getting up and down but the hole-out rate doesn't come close to what it is with shots you can steer and control.

FWIW, I still do flop occasionally in certain spots (when I remember to) and the shot still plays the same--hit the line before the ding to hit it straight.  :-)

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 11:21 AM

YankeeJim:

ernestious:

No, I didn't forget it, I just don't push it. IMO, it's a great shot but gets overused by many, often at the cost of learning those pitches and chips.

I play with Champions that still flop everything in sight and they're great on getting up and down but the hole-out rate doesn't come close to what it is with shots you can steer and control.

FWIW, I still do flop occasionally in certain spots (when I remember to) and the shot still plays the same--hit the line before the ding to hit it straight.  :-)

Pitching, and chipping, vs the flop shot, each definately have their place, and can be very valuable to a player.  The type shot that u choose, depends greatly, on the type of game that you're playing in.  If you're playing mobile, in either the coin games, or H2H matchs, and you aren't on the green, you have no idea of the green speed.  Using the pitch or chip, the ball can stop dead on a 7.4 speed green, or go screaming past the cup, if on a 13 speed green. Using the flop, it lands close enough for an easy tap in, vs trying to hole a 10 to 15 foot putt. (Or even longer) and it might make the difference of a birdie, or par, rather than a bogey. I'd much rather settle for a par, than a bogey! (Or maybe worse).  Playing in tourneys, you know your green speeds, makes a big difference in your choice of shots. If the hole is cut in the back two thirds of the green away from you, the flop isn't at the mercy of all the undulations of the green. These can move the ball severely left or right of the hole, or due to a down slope, go way past the cup, or ups lopes stopping ball way short. Again maybe the difference of a tap in, or short putt, vs a lot longer putt.   Just my nickle, whatever choose whatever shot you're most comfortable with. Just saying each has its place. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 11:40 AM

My approach is strictly PC. OP didn't indicate that wasn't the case.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 12:01 PM

Luckystar5:
    Using the pitch or chip, the ball can stop dead on a 7.4 speed green, or go screaming past the cup, if on a 13 speed green. Using the flop, it lands close enough for an easy tap in, vs trying to hole a 10 to 15 foot putt. (Or even longer) and it might make the difference of a birdie, or par, rather than a bogey. I'd much rather settle for a par, than a bogey! (Or maybe worse).

If a person has a good set of wedges and balls with good spin, the ball will not go screaming past the hole on champion-speed greens. With full backspin, pitches will stop without a problem, which also takes out of the equation the undulations of the green. 

Good wedges start around Level 30 with Cleveland 588 wedges. And the Callaway Chrome Soft (Level 33) balls have excellent spin characteristics. As soon as I started using both of those, I pretty much left the flop behind. 

Granted if a player has starter wedges or is using a ball with virtually no spin, then the flop is the shot they probably should use. If that's the case, however, the flop shot is not going to make them competitive because they simply don't have the equipment. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jul 7 2018 12:02 PM

YankeeJim:
    My approach is strictly PC. OP didn't indicate that wasn't the case.

Your approach works just as well on the mobile platform, if the player has the proper equipment. 

RSS