New legend - unprepared!!!!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:15 AM (46 replies)
  • SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 1:11 AM

Hi guys

Long time reader - first time poster

Just got a note through that I have made Legend status - was not expecting it as score average was still 62+. Not sure why it happened - although guess I shouldnt complain - that was the point of playing!

That said, not really prepared for it at all - have seen quite a few people mention that it can be a bit of a downer, going from being competitive at Tour Master and then completely uncompetitive at Legend.

Anyway, have also seen a few people receiving comments on what they could do, how they should proceed, what they might buy - like people had checked their stats and were able to offer suitable advice. I know it sounds lazy - but its not! - just wondering if anyone who is good at this could take 2 minutes to look through mine and make any comments they feel appropriate.

For what its worth - I would summarise my game as below:

Driver - have used the same one for ages - quite accurate in general - no plans to change

Irons - just bought them recently - good control of length - but struggle to ding so approach shots can land left or right

Wedges - seem ok, although I have very old cheap ones, not sure about this

Putting - have used the same putter for months - bought an upgraded version of the same one - putt mostly off-ding - feel I am a good putter but not sure how the stats stack up

TM level - I was already pissed off that a tournament would open and someone would shoot 56 on day one and basically put me out of it with 30 days still to go! Guess better get used to this at legend level!

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:54 AM

Had a look & the only advice i could give to someone who's made Legend in approx. 6 months, with 280 RR, is to keep doing whatever it is you are.

Doc :)

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:59 AM

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:34 AM

Thanks both. So it would seem that is decent progress then, maybe better than I thought

Never quite understood the difference of ranked or unranked and matchplay etc - what affects or doesnt affect things. I have seen comments that sandbaggers dont play unranked - and you guys are referring to ranked - so maybe I am the opposite of a sandbagger! I really only play the tournaments and almost nothing else, the odd CTTH when I have no time just for fun, but other than that only the 9/18 hole tournaments available each week or month

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:52 AM

The best way to see what clubs you need is very simple . Go set up a stroke play practice round and see how well you do . How good is your driver from the tips then check your 3 wood then your irons and wedges . From that you will know exactly what clubs you should upgrade .

Congrats on the move up by the way . Its not really a hard transition to make if you have been playing properly . Now if all you have been doing is playing from the easy tees then yes, you would be in for a real surprise . But if not then the move will be easy to adjust to . 

Just play some stroke play practice rounds to get used to the new conditions . The winds will be stronger and greens will be faster . The breaks will begin to have more breaks than before . Approach shots will become more of a challenge , so work on your short game . Learn the punch flop and pitch shots to get closer to the pin . 

As for your tournaments , anything that you started playing as a TM you will continue  to play . Only new tournaments that you now start will you be playing as a Legend . So dont be discouraged you will do fine . Just practice and put your time in . Its just another move back on the tees , and another learning experience . Play well have fun and good luck with the game . :-)

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:05 AM

Thanks Lonnie

Played one 9 hiole round - shot 38, haha. Although I actually birdied the first two holes - so clearly it will still be possible to play well in some way

The putting seemed very different - missed a couple and had 10 footers coming back! Those are usually 2-4ft on the way back! Guess I will just power down and see how it goes :)

• EasyEdward
    13,495 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:05 AM

SheryarAdam:
    Just got a note through that I have made Legend status - was not expecting it as score average was still 62+. Not sure why it happened - although guess I shouldnt complain - that was the point of playing!

Though Legend normally takes a 60.00 or under average winning a WGT Tournament has an impact on moving up in in Tiers. WGT does not let us know how big of an impact, but in your case it was enough.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:22 AM

EasyEdward:
    Though Legend normally takes a 60.00 or under average winning a WGT Tournament has an impact on moving up in in Tiers. WGT does not let us know how big of an impact, but in your case it was enough.

Tour Legend requires 60.00 or under; Legend requires 61.00. 

• TheMedicineMan
    18 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 11:16 AM

I've played just over 100 days and did it playing just a few ranked practice rounds and then all the rest was done in H2H matches.  Collect free credits from 2 different mobile devices to keep leveling up clubs and using the Titleists.  I turned Legend last night and it is indeed quite a shock but better clubs definitely help ease the pain a bit.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 11:20 AM

SheryarAdam:

Played one 9 hiole round - shot 38, haha. Although I actually birdied the first two holes - so clearly it will still be possible to play well in some way

The putting seemed very different - missed a couple and had 10 footers coming back! Those are usually 2-4ft on the way back! Guess I will just power down and see how it goes :)

following up on Lonnie's tip, while it may seem tedious... your WGT stats can become diluted over time, so now that you are on a new tee, consider writing down some of the stats that you would normally look at … 

this will help you identify weaknesses in your overall game.  record anywhere from 5 to 10 rounds but maybe focus on a course that is somewhat challenging … you don't want the easiest or the hardest but something reasonable to estimate where you are at...

getting up and down and saving par from missed greens and bunkers are huge stroke savers.  giving back strokes after making birdie by bogie just kills your momentum! -- you are far better using smart course management to lay up short of a hazard or bad bunker if you can't carry it, than risk giving the shot back knowing you are probably 80 -90% more likely to save par by laying up and there are some holes and wind conditions where you need to lay up even on par 4's.  

RSS