New legend - unprepared!!!!

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 16 2018 6:15 AM (46 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 12:11 PM

SheryarAdam:
    Wedges - seem ok, although I have very old cheap ones, not sure about this

This is where you need to immediately upgrade. Everything else you have will serve you well but your short game is essential to decent scoring. Moving to Legend took away your driver/wedge game and turned it into a long iron game, specifically the 3, 4 and 5 iron shots.

You're looking at longer approaches now with the longer irons and you're not going to hit every green, every time. This is where good wedges will get you up and down for saves with occasional hole outs. 

3 matched wedges is the ticket and then learning pitches, punches and chips with them is what will make you competitive.  :-)

• TheMedicineMan
    18 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 12:31 PM

YankeeJim:

SheryarAdam:
    Wedges - seem ok, although I have very old cheap ones, not sure about this

This is where you need to immediately upgrade. Everything else you have will serve you well but your short game is essential to decent scoring. Moving to Legend took away your driver/wedge game and turned it into a long iron game, specifically the 3, 4 and 5 iron shots.

You're looking at longer approaches now with the longer irons and you're not going to hit every green, every time. This is where good wedges will get you up and down for saves with occasional hole outs. 

3 matched wedges is the ticket and then learning pitches, punches and chips with them is what will make you competitive.  :-)

I haven't been here long, but I agree 100% with this breakdown.  I learned this when 1st hole after turning legend last night was H2H on a 240 yard par 3.  The greens all got much smaller all of a sudden lol.  

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 2:38 PM

Thanks all, very much appreciated. This sounds like the best thing for me just now. 

Would you or anyone else recommend one wedge over another (in terms of mack daddy vs Cleveland vs AtV for example)

Or would that just be personal preference and what is more important is that the 3 wedges are from the same set?

Happy to pay and buy them, but don't want to buy a bum set and then have to pay again for different ones (did this already with an expensive putter I hated) 

• Next260
    2,194 Posts
    Thu, Jul 5 2018 4:40 PM

I have the Cleveland wedges and they are great. 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Thu, Jul 5 2018 4:50 PM

+1 for the Cleveland wedges. 

• xlviii
    502 Posts
    Thu, Jul 5 2018 5:17 PM

Robert1893:

+1 for the Cleveland wedges. 

+1 again for the Cleveland 588 wedges. That driver is the best low-level driver, but you might look to upgrade. The L86 Callaway drivers can get you eight more yards off the tee (plus what your ball adds). Likewise, upgrading to the L86 3-wood would get you a lot more distance. The L89 is even better, but the forgiveness can be an issue if you don't ding it.

Also, if you have the credits, a ball upgrade would help. The L35 Callaway or L61 TaylorMade will get you more distance and spin with the same meter speed. You're doing great. Keep going and good luck.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:02 PM

I noticed you did not mention the balls you played, but others did and I agree that upgrading to L35 or L43 (what I use) Callaway is a reasonable choice.

I did not like the Gorge wedges but play the Mac Daddies and they are much better - especially combined with a ball that takes spin.

I play the same Driver and 3W and find them fine at my level.

Just get those wedges and ball upgraded and go map them.

Congratulations on your progress!

• SheryarAdam
    10 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 4:32 AM

DoctorLarry:

I noticed you did not mention the balls you played, but others did and I agree that upgrading to L35 or L43 (what I use) Callaway is a reasonable choice.

Just get those wedges and ball upgraded and go map them.

Great stuff, thanks again all - will purchase a set of wedges

My gut feeling is for the Max meter set at L89 as I like the meter speed on the Max stuff

Wish I could try the others in some cheap way in case the meter works fine for me, but haven't found a way. The wedge at L85 or L86 didnt even come up for a free rental when I levelled up. Normally at least get 2 hours to have a play with it :(

Didnt really think about balls as I never really want to go above the 250/300 that my current balls cost. I did get a free Titleist a few months ago and that thing was amazing - but 900 credits a sleeve seems extortionate. I dabbled with using them for "important" rounds - but i kept getting confused as they go different distances which is no use - so i settled on just a single ball that I liked and I use it all the time so at least I know roughly how far it is going. Thoughts on this?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 5:29 AM

SheryarAdam:
    Would you or anyone else recommend one wedge over another (in terms of mack daddy vs Cleveland vs AtV for example)

IMO, a matched set of 3 wedges is what you want. The primary difference between the ATVs and the CGs is the distances. ATVs go 50-75-100 while the CGs go 60-80-100. 

I like the CGs because the gaps are closer and when you factor in the punch shot you get a nice spread. With the punch your distances are 50-60-68-80-84-100. You can also get those now at your level whereas the ATVs will take you a little longer. Either set will be the last wedges you buy.

The Mack Daddy has no 64W.

• kingiling
    512 Posts
    Fri, Jul 6 2018 10:01 AM

SheryarAdam:

Wish I could try the others in some cheap way in case the meter works fine for me, but haven't found a way.

Hopefully you will get a Free Rental weekend during the Open Championship.  If you hold out till then, you can try anything for which you have already reached the clubs level.  Nice day long rentals.  Once you get these and get comfortable with them, you will think birdie every time you are within 100 yds.

Another crucial point is that they (at least the Callaways and Mack Daddys) are fantastic out of the rough, still provide good spin with little distance loss.  Find ones you like and enjoy!

RSS