Forums

Help › Forums

Clash 68 with Set of the Week

Mon, Apr 16 2018 3:11 PM (186 replies)
  • jacktrade51
    10,921 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 8:22 PM

I have been thinking about this for 6 weeks before responding.  Forget 1st time glitch or SOTW, which I assume we will not see again.  On the new format:

1.  I would dump long putt and long shot from off green.  Blind luck who wins it.

2. The multipliers on top scores should only apply to scores without superpass in play.  In other words, I shoot 80 points, with superpass that is 160.  The multiplier should only apply to the 80.

Otherwise, you are almost forcing me as club owner to restrict superpasses to top players, and I have always been small d democratic about those.

3. 6x and 5x are too much, whether or not one agrees with point #2.

.Tom (jacktrade51)

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2018 8:34 PM

Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I won't say anything about 90% of what you are thinking. The other 10, I greatly disagree with, there are lots of players that can sink very long putts, it's not all blind luck. Like wise the same with people holing out a shot. Good luck though getting the rest changed, I mean that sincerely.  

• rdodge
    95 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 3:32 AM

The new scoring format is fair for all , WGT has made the clash better than it was and should not change anything

• AlaskanDame
    18,999 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 9:45 AM
    From pdb1 above:
    "The passes are split amongst the 7 officer positions 1 owner and 6 directors . On the many occasions that a non director is using the passes . I disable the title of a real director and enable the regular member as a director . To enable them for pass permissions ."

This is what I do, too --- changing around "directors" on Clash days. I do it so that we have a European+ contingent and a U.S.+ contingent of Super Pass users to cover different times of the 24-hour day.

Count me among those who like the bonus for longest putt and longest hole-out. Some of my lower-average members have gotten pretty excited about being able to contribute by those. Had a Master get an HIO at Bandon. 110-yard "hole-out" held up throughout that Clash, lol!

But I agree that Super Pass doubling should not be then multiplied as "highest score." It should be the basic score from non-doubled status. Don't know if they can program that though. If not, then I'd throw out the doubling completely. It's not needed for rewarding high-skilled players in the Clash. The other new bonuses can already do that, as well as the regular extra points for birdies and eagles.
  • alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 10:08 AM

AlaskanDame:
    This is what I do,

Never play em....job DONE !!

Works for all...right quotes or not.

• jacktrade51
    10,921 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 2:07 PM

I stand by what I posted but thoughtful suggestions from Paul and AlaskanDame.

I definitely agree with the comments that it's the players who enjoy the clashes that make the event for the club.  I also want to note that the new scoring system has not hurt Black Diamond GC.  In the 3 clashes with the new scoring system (including the SOTW one), we finished the same place we normally finished in the events before ... lower 1/2 of the top 50.  So I am not grumbling about outcomes.  

On the award for longest putt, I stand by it's blind luck.  I recognize there are better and worse putters.  The best putter in my club seem to drop everything every time I play him and his odds of making 25 foot putts are several times higher than mine.  (25+ is what is seems to win long putt.)  But, both he and I and a lot of other Champs can easily go entire rounds where we never see a putt that long unless, maybe, we went for a par 5 in 2.  At least in my club, the winners of the long putt award don't seem to be the best players or putters; it's the ones with the opportunities to try them.

Tom.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 5:35 PM

Not looking for an argument...btw

jacktrade51:
    I stand by what I posted but thoughtful suggestions from Paul and AlaskanDame.

See I was pointedly ignored.... ;)

( and rightly so....}

Let me elaborate....( using your words )

jacktrade51:
    I definitely agree with the comments that it's the players who enjoy the clashes that make the event for the club.

As it should be..

jacktrade51:
      I also want to note that the new scoring system has hurt Black Diamond GC. 

How ?

jacktrade51:
    In the 3 clashes with the new scoring system (including the SOTW one), we finished the same place we normally finished in the events before ... lower 1/2 of the top 50. 

So no change then..?

jacktrade51:
    On the award for longest putt, I stand by it's blind luck. 

That would be wrong ..

jacktrade51:
    I recognize there are better and worse putters. 

Ok

jacktrade51:
    The best putter in my club seem to drop everything every time I play him and his odds of making 25 foot putts are several times higher than mine. 

TBH....u sorta making my point.

jacktrade51:
    But, both he and I and a lot of other Champs can easily go entire rounds where we never see a putt that long

What makes a Champ imo...is sinking those long putts rarely seen.. ?

Now to be facetious...  ;-)

jacktrade51:
    At least in my club, the winners of the long putt award don't seem to be the best players or putters; it's the ones with the opportunities to try them.

That would encompass all ?

Hard to differentiate between worse and ....... :D

Now to be serious..

Sorry man, you really don't have the game..or anyone in your CC to comment on the likelihood of long putts being sunk.

Just keep on enjoying it as u seem to do..( all power to ya elbow )

The Clashes, for most who actually know how great this CC V CC  format, could have been.....find the current premise an abortion.

IMHO   ;))

Andy

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 5:44 PM

jacktrade51:
    On the award for longest putt, I stand by it's blind luck. 

I agree with alcaucin. On that point, you're simply wrong. It is not just blind luck.

Clearly, there is skill and knowledge at work. That's not to say that the person with more skill or knowledge will sink it every time, but they will certainly sink longer putts more often than those without that skill or knowledge.

If it were blind luck, then success at sinking of longer putts would be randomly distributed. And I think it's fairly certain that it's not. 

• BobApollo
    2,039 Posts
    Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:01 PM

So what if a lesser skilled putter makes a long putt and takes the bonus for his club.

I thought the new bonus system was supposed to give the less skilled, less gifted, less play all their life player, guy with a lower graded putter, lower premium golf ball a break and let him feel good about draining the longest putt in a clash match. Is it  bad that the guy is a winner with the new system, so the system should be changed.

So what, if the great players who hit their approaches inside 8 feet almost all the time, so they don't have a 25' foot putt chance to drain, which they have a lot better chance of draining than the other not as good guy who got lucky. There's ways that the better player could leave themselves a longer first putt, just so they can earn that 300 point bonus. The same with letting a approach land off the green and then having a wedge to hole out

So what, just play the bloody game with the system that's posted. I wrote my reply to give an example of how stuff here is getting analyzed to death.

RSS