So...

How did the 1st SOTW Clash go ?

No problems or  Glitches ?

Everyone had fun ?

LMAO

• Pingkin
    512 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 5:18 AM

If you want total fairness and equality make clashes starter gear and ball only.Simple soloution.Cant be any whines or winges then and all can play even the very newest players.

Not played a clash for 2 or 3 years so makes no odds to me.

• Rabbit274
    1,178 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:19 AM

OK - I'm probably in a minority here but (apart from the early glitches) I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge - so much so that I was almost tempted (note the word almost) to buy passes.

As a club (The Rabbit Warren) we did rather better than expected and had almost 60 members (58% of our total membership) playing at one time or another, which is about the same number as a 'normal' clash.

The SOTW presented a few problems, especially with the rollout from the irons and the big difference between the meter speed of the irons and that of the wedges - not enough to spoil things too much anyway.

On a personal note, I have the top rated clubs for normal play which sort of leads to a 'same old, same old' approach - using the SOTW was a refreshing change as I don't usually play them.

Once the scoring system had been worked out, it was possible to detail a strategy to gain the most advantage - using brain instead of brawn was also refreshing.

Of the three courses our club played, I found the back nine of Bethpage to be the hardest to get to grips with - most of the par 4s needed a long iron 2nd shot and the rollout (even with max backspin) made it a bit frustrating.

I do agree with the suggestion that the clash rounds should NOT be included in the average calculation. I saturated long ago so wasn't affected, but some of our junior members are still working on tiering up, and for them, it was a bit wearisome.

The only gripe I had with the scoring system was that only players using superpasses had any chance of getting into the Top Ten - I don't know if it is possible, but Superpass rounds should be excluded from the Top Ten scores, thus giving everyone a chance of achieving it.

So for me at least, bring on the next one.

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 6:59 AM

@Rabbit274 

+1

Well said.  

• rdodge
    95 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:43 AM

I first thought SOTW was a bad idea and i wouldn't play in it. Then i thought i can't judge it if i don't play it. So i gave it a try. I liked it , i had no problems with anything. I even managed to lower my average .02 . I came in 78th . I  also played regular rounds with my clubs and had no problems there either. Good job WGT

• craigswan
    31,006 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 8:45 AM

Can someone explain this then .

Because I play with beginner putter and free balls I found it impossible to even score pars .

Why .

Meter was so fast lewis Hamilton couldn't catch the ding .

That's not golf .

• craigswan
    31,006 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 9:24 AM
  • el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Sat, Mar 17 2018 9:51 AM

Aside from the hiccups, I don't think the event was as bad as some have made it out to be.  I am by no means an elite player or even a top tier legend...striving to be, but not there yet.  

Now, our CC has held SOTW tournaments prior to this event and we also had a current event going on with the clubs being used...so I had seen the "clubs" before but it is still SOTW so you still need to work your way around a course differently than you normally would.  You have to think about your shots more...

Also our club events are typically milder conditions, the moderate winds do change things up...and I found it necessary to user a "higher credit ball" which may have been a desired outcome by WGT...because in regular clashes it is usually possible to play a lower credit or unlimited play ball and still manage your way around because scoring doesn't really matter...only quantity of rounds....

This event attempted to change that up...scoring could influence the outcome, greens in regulation did earn points, birdie percentage added points, some of the other points for longest putt and approach shot are more who gets the luckier longer shot to fall.  Although there may be some skill players who could try and manipulate this  still a bit more luck in those.

The clubs were quite good for SOTW, I have played some sets that I just hated, especially if they were lacking decent wedges for short game and in one instance any wedges at all...could you imagine the scores if WGT didn't give us any wedges this time...people would be screaming their lungs out.

Generally, clashes are not about skill at all, typically it is ONLY who wants to play the most.  This clash still falls within those parameters but it did attempt to add more skill based features which were lacking before.

Our club participation was still around the same as usual from the inquiry I submitted into our club forum, but I can not be considered the spokesperson for our entire club.  I am just sharing my take...and I actually participated far more than I ever have before in any clash that has ever been offered.  In fact, I probably played more times in this one clash than I have in the entire YEAR I have been on WGT.  I also only played the free passes offered.

The only reason I would prefer the old clash over this one is because under the previous clash model, I can play cheaper, low quality balls and still do virtually the same thing.

I didn't feel my scoring was awful but it wasn't going to win me any WGT SOTW tournaments either.  

Again, aside from the glitches, I appreciate the effort, and hope you consider their are vastly more opinions than just those who chose to be critical which sometimes can also be the loudest voices...but it doesn't make them the only voices or perspectives out there.

RSS