Forums

Help › Forums

poor continuity

Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:48 PM (74 replies)
  • SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 9:27 AM

My meter only acts whack when I'm trying to collect credits and play the game at the same time or when I'm trying to read the post and play the game at the same time. When I shut down the forum or the videos it is very perdictible. I can time my ding to more dings than misses.

Siders Best

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 9:58 AM

Years ago, before the mobile app was even out, they did an update and the whole game went nuts...the green dots were way off, the meter was completely unplayable, etc.

long story short, MRWGT made a post in the forum stating that they had a code written into the programming to slightly vary the meter speed as a counter measure to the auto dingers, which was not compatible with the update and had to be shutdown until they figured it out....

For a short period the meter was smooth as silk, soon after that it started changing up the speed again....however, this really didn't affect the ability to play the game drastically, it was barely noticeable on 90% of the shots.

I assume they still use this feature, but of course I have no idea if they do or don't...

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 10:45 AM

My meter has always been near flawless but a few weeks ago I was having a terrible issue with stuttering.I did notice that the hard drive sounded like it was spinning and thought its my time machine backup running.

Well that wasn't my issue but I did noticed it would only make that Spin-up sounds after I started playing Wgt.By chance I looked at my fan speed/ temperature and found the Cpu temp would go from 55C to 100C.So I take a look at my fan and its packed with dust.I cleaned the fan and no more sounds and no more meter stutter.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 10:58 AM

What WGT, Ed and fatdan are saying is very consistent with what I have observed with respect to the behavior of my meter. I am not an IT guy like Ed is so I can't speak intelligently about the technical aspects; I just have my observations. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:24 AM

dedBuNNy:
    If you want to see what it actually going on with the game, yet again - install Scout and run the game window on a second monitor. VPN around to different servers if you want to see the effect of the 'network' on your game. 

Better yet, unplug the internet connection and you'll see exactly how much it doesn't affect the meter.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 11:38 AM

I use a wireless connection. Anytime I try that I get a popup message. Same thing on mobile. I can't really test that.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:59 PM

Okay, let me say this: I have no vested interest as to whether YankeeJim, WGT, fatdan, or Ed is correct. I would however like to know the truth.I don't want to spend hours and hours chasing a mythical meter.

I have a decent meter, but I do see accelerations and at times I do get "metered". Not a big deal to some, but when you are playing 1,000 credit ready go's with killers like Jason (Young 46), Jo (Walk of LIfe), and Frank (Fmagnets) among others, I can tell you that one or two rescue putts can make a huge difference. One bad meter is sometimes the difference between winning and losing.

I have spent a ton of time with several browsers and flash trying to find a combo that works. No matter what I do on PC or Mobile (android on an HTC3D, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note Edge, and a Samsung Tablet) I seem to get the same results.

YankeeJim:

Better yet, unplug the internet connection and you'll see exactly how much it doesn't affect the meter.

If servers, internet connections, and congestion etc. do impact the meter,  I do not understand how unplugging the meter proves that these things have no impact on the meter.

By unplugging the internet connection you have just eliminated those effects on the meter. How can these things impact the meter if you have eliminated them? It is clear at least to YankeeJim that when he unplugs his internet he can still get the meter to work (although I can't because I am wireless, I get the popup nag message). I certainly believe him when he says this.

If WGT or other forces (the Yoda post influence, lol) do impact the meter, how does a smooth meter with the internet unplugged prove anything?

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 1:18 PM

ItsTooSweet:
    If WGT or other forces (the Yoda post influence, lol) do impact the meter, how does a smooth meter with the internet unplugged prove anything?
    It might prove that your problem is a local problem, caused by whatever influence of your machine to the Flash engine.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 1:33 PM

ItsTooSweet:
    If servers, internet connections, and congestion etc. do impact the meter,  I do not understand how unplugging the meter proves that these things have no impact on the meter.

ItsTooSweet:
    By unplugging the internet connection you have just eliminated those effects on the meter. How can these things impact the meter if you have eliminated them?

You answered your own question because it doesn't affect anything your computer is doing.

FWIW, back when this was discussed the majority of hookups were hard connections to the modem. Since then WGT has added those pop-ups that say they can't connect and if you say no the game closes. This didn't used to happen and you were able to complete the swing through the click. Nothing happened, though, until you plugged it back in. 

I have a wi-fi hookup here and can't do it because I get that message. The same thing happens if I hook the modem up direct and turn off the wi-fi so I can see where you wouldn't be able to do it now. I have done it and I believe what I saw. It was all to demonstrate that your internet connection has absolutely nothing to do with the way your computer works or the way the meter acts up.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 2:38 PM

My experience has been this, I have 3 desktops in the house and have 3 laptops...plus I tested the game out on a 4th desktop...

All of them had plenty of processor speed, and max amounts of RAM, all had different Operating systems ie: Windows XP/7/8/10....all on the same IP connection tested with a wired vs wireless connection....all optimized and using every trick in the WGT book to make the game better...also used "all" the recommended browsers.

On every single one of them, certain aspects of the game played differently! Some the meter was worse than others, some approach shots seemed off(could just have been me)

All played smoother with a wired connection, 1 of the laptops played terrible with whatever you tried...

On the Toshiba laptop with an I7 processor and 12 gigs of RAM, the game window was way to small, but the meter was soooooo smooth, and much much slower than any of the others....

with that said, I play on a old Dell desktop, with a P4 processor, 3 gigs of RAM, running XP, a wired IP connection and wired Gaming mouse, and nothing else...using a Firefox browser and a 23" monitor(so I can see). I am in the slow slow process of building up a gaming desktop so I can record/twitch or whatever without issue, and run dual monitors.

I still get some meter jerks here and there on approach shots and drives, but NEVER get one when I am putting for whatever reason...

All I am saying is, with everything else being the same, the game was not the same on any of them...

Once I had a meter go crazy and it was the ZoneAlarm firewall software believe it or not, updated it and the meter was fine...another time the meter went bananas and it was the Flash Update wasn't compatible with the FF browser update, rolled them back and all was fine.....but it was "always" something on my PC, just saying!

Another thing I have noticed, is since the mobile release, and the addition of these new gimmicks, the processors work quite a bit harder than they used to, and it continues to grow, takes a lot more of the PC's resources to play now...thus the reason I am preparing to switch to a much more powerful PC

RSS