Forums

Help › Forums

poor continuity

Sun, Feb 18 2018 1:48 PM (74 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 4:25 PM

ItsTooSweet:
    If the meter is performing better or worse at a particular moment it is probably due to congestion between the server and your machine

This is blatantly wrong and has been proved wrong many times. WGT is not involved in a shot until you click the swing. Everything before that is a direct result of whatever is happening on the local machine.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Thu, Feb 15 2018 5:35 PM

Let me ask you something YankeeJim. It appears to me that the meter doesn't follow the same pattern every time. It doesn't appear linear. I've seen it speed up sometimes at the beginning of the meter swing, the middle, or the end. I am assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that this is to combat auto-dingers. How is this controlled?

• pmm711
    5,520 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:22 AM

ItsTooSweet:
    Let me ask you something YankeeJim

And so it begins...a date which will live in infamy...2-16-2018

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 12:29 AM

Sonic Truth

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 5:33 AM

ItsTooSweet:

Let me ask you something YankeeJim. It appears to me that the meter doesn't follow the same pattern every time. It doesn't appear linear. I've seen it speed up sometimes at the beginning of the meter swing, the middle, or the end. I am assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that this is to combat auto-dingers. How is this controlled?

I know exactly what you are looking at and no, that's not the way it is supposed to be. Mine doesn't do that- hasn't for a number of years- and Flash is probably causing most of your grief. 

By way of example, if I were to hit Play Now in this browser there's  no way I could play. The meter is ridiculously erratic, doesn't stop where I want it to and the game is miserable to play- the same complaints a lot of players have, especially after a Flash update. I don't even try anymore, I play in my dedicated Comodo Dragon browser. It's an older version of CD (29.1) with an even older version of Flash (18.0.0.232).

The combination of the two work exceptionally well and I don't mess with it. I can't even navigate away from the Game Client because all of the plugins except Flash have been disabled. Auto update is disabled, too. The browser is for the game and nothing else.

The SRWareIron browser used to be my backup during the time I was figuring all this out. You can see for yourself the difference a dedicated browser makes like this: DL that browser, set the home page to the game client (http://www.wgt.com/gameclient.aspx), close everything else on your computer so nothing else is running and then open that browser and play a game.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 6:32 AM

I have tried a crap load of browsers and different versions of flash and I have never had the meter act in the way that you describe. I started as a mobile player for over a year and also never had the meter continuously be the same. I have always had different accelerations. I have a pretty decent meter (after spending a lot of time finding a flash browser combo that works) but if what you are describing is how it is suppose to work, then I have never had a working meter. Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 6:42 AM

Could be why I miss the ding so damn often.  ;-)

Image result for continuity testing

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 6:51 AM

That's a Fluke meter and they don't lie-I nicknamed mine "Math." Now, maybe test your ding finger?  LOL

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 7:53 AM

YankeeJim:
    Now, maybe test your ding finger?  LOL

LOL,  at work so I had to search for that image  otherwise I would have pulled out my Fluke and tested my ding finger.  

Nickname "Math".  Too funny 

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Fri, Feb 16 2018 8:05 AM

YankeeJim:

This is blatantly wrong and has been proved wrong many times. WGT is not involved in a shot until you click the swing. Everything before that is a direct result of whatever is happening on the local machine.

Sorry, but no it hasn't and you're absolutely wrong in stating that WGT/server communication doesn't take place until you 'click the swing.' 

The entire game window is live and interactive with whichever particular server you happen to be on at the time. That's how it knows where you're aiming when you move the arrow around - the game doesn't load any assets to your computer, everything is loaded via stream to your browser, the entire game window is live and online while it's open. 

If you want to see what it actually going on with the game, yet again - install Scout and run the game window on a second monitor. VPN around to different servers if you want to see the effect of the 'network' on your game. 

The only reason the game plays better or worse with various browsers has to do with how that browser works with your particular computer/internet (connectivity) and which server you're on. 

RSS