Forums

Help › Forums

Chipping on green

Sat, Jan 27 2018 6:00 PM (117 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 3:34 PM

Let's not kid ourselves, if the pros mastered the way to successfully clip putts in on the green, nice and clean (which takes a lot of practice & finesse!), others would jump on the bandwagon so fast, and then call all those who putt 'flat earth' golfers.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 3:48 PM

PaulTon:
    I haven't been on in quite a while, and from reading this thread, it seems I should also wish everyone a Happy Groundhog Day!

It's déjà vu, all over again.

Happy New Year, Paul! 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 4:41 PM

If everyone was  completely honest, all those on here that call themselves a purist, have to understand that this is a video game.  A purist is someone whom doesn't want to admit change.  Someone on here, lost to someone else who has figured out how to beat this game.  Someone got tired of the green grids that are incorrect, and now doesn't have to deal with it. The purist (on here) hasnt, so they cry foal, it's a built in excuse not to change or learn, because maybe they got beat.  Anyone like myself, that attacks their fantasy, look out, gangland style ambush.  But it's ok, I've been around a long time, and can handle it, live and learn. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 4:45 PM

Dude, come down from the cross. The position has been filled. 

• Pingkin
    512 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 5:09 PM

I wonder if anyone has ever used thier club like a snooker cue and tried to pot the ball..lol

• BHenke2
    397 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 5:13 PM

So a question to everyone who disagrees with people chipping on the greens in this game. Do you cut corners on holes in this game with your driver where in the real world this would be impossible or very unlikely to succeed with the tee shot? Because if you do then you don't have anything to complain about at all. Because as we all know if you don't do it in real golf heaven forbid you should be allowed to do it in the WGT golf world. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:11 PM

BHenke2:
    So a question to everyone who disagrees with people chipping on the greens in this game. Do you cut corners on holes in this game with your driver where in the real world this would be impossible or very unlikely to succeed with the tee shot? Because if you do then you don't have anything to complain about at all. Because as we all know if you don't do it in real golf heaven forbid you should be allowed to do it in the WGT golf world.

First of all, no one complained. Some of us simply said that consistently using a chip rather than putting on a green is a "gamer move." I stand by that assessment or opinion. 

Second, I'm not sure what you mean about the driver. Can you provide an example of where the driver can cut corners on here that are unable to be duplicated in a real-world situation on that course?

And third, if I were doing what you suggest (using a driver off the tee in a manner that cannot be replicated in the real world), then it would be a gamer move. I wouldn't have a problem acknowledging that. Again, no one said that the person should be somehow prevented from doing it. Just acknowledge what it is. Jus sayin. :-) 

Finally, we acknowledged that there are times that a player might want to chip or (possibly) even hit a full wedge on the green. We just made the observation that if a person does that consistently and when it's not required by the circumstances, it's a gamer move.

I really fail to see how that is controversial or even debatable in any way.

By the way, here's my gamer shot from RSG (from back when mobile platform could save replays). The approach settles on the green. I tried to embed but wasn't successful. So, here's the link. I've only tried this shot twice (maybe three times, at most). 

https://everyplay.com/videos/29409056

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 5:31 AM

BHenke2:
    Do you cut corners on holes in this game with your driver where in the real world this would be impossible or very unlikely to succeed with the tee shot?

Like Robert, I'd like an example, too. My guess is you're going to point at a hole like BPB #2 where it looks like the tee shot goes right through the tree when you execute a successful draw.

• BHenke2
    397 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 6:17 AM

The best example of this is using the fairway of #16 at Chambers for the approach on #2 at Chambers Bay. Is it possible to do this in real life? Probably. Do people play it this way on a regular basis in real life. No. But I bet the majority of top players here in the land of WGT play it that way every time. 

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2018 10:20 AM

BHenke2:
    The best example of this is using the fairway of #16 at Chambers for the approach on #2 at Chambers Bay. Is it possible to do this in real life? Probably. Do people play it this way on a regular basis in real life. No. But I bet the majority of top players here in the land of WGT play it that way every time. 

That's the one I was thinking you were going to mention. So, earlier today, I Googled it to see if I could find some information regarding if it can be done. I couldn't find anything.

And those situations are complicated by the fact that (it's my understanding) some tournaments will create a local rule that defines a particular adjacent fairway as "out of bounds." I have no idea if that was done at the US Open in 2015 or if it's done at all at Chambers Bay.

Regardless, I have no feel regarding how often that route is taken by players (top or otherwise). Once or twice, I played the hole that way to just to see how it played, but that's it. So, as a rule, I pretty much never take that route. 

RSS