Help › Forums

What have you done to the Mobile app?

Thu, Mar 8 2018 2:49 PM (70 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 7:45 AM

Mbarrettwcc:

Why?

I chat constantly on mobile? Why would you make such a comment?

First, I didn't say it's not possible to chat during a mobile match. Nor did I say that the social aspect was completely lacking on the mobile platform.

And second, what I wrote is that if a person really wants to embrace the social aspect, then they should play the web-based version. The key there is the idea of "really embracing" the social aspect, not simply chatting with a single, random person through the coin games.

Or am I misunderstanding the coin games? The way that they've always been discussed on here is that the players are matched at random in the coin rooms. That's not my definition of embracing the social aspect of the game.

Additionally, the PC version has more options to play such as alternate shot and match play, neither of which (to my knowledge) are available through the mobile app.

All of that is why I would make such a comment.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 8:05 AM

Here's my "issue" with some of the comments on this issue. People are upset with losing the 3-hole format. Fine. I get that. But it's the way all of this has been framed by some that I find amusing.

Some have suggested that it's ruined the game or that it's contrary to golf. But here's the thing. Neither of those things is actually true.

First, golf is not a 3-hole game. It never has been. And second, the social aspect is still there. People can play 9-hole games through the coin rooms or set up 9-hole games with their friends through the mobile. To my knowledge, neither of those has gone away. And if you really want the social aspect, one would think you would take advantage of playing 9-hole matches with friends. 

But some apparently don't want to take the time to play a 9-hole match because it would take too long. Again, I'm a bit chagrined at that. They want the "social aspect" but only if it can be accomplished within the short time of a 3-hole match.

Regardless, none of the above "ruined the game." The changes made simply made it different than the way that they learned it or experienced it. And they don't like it. That's not too dissimilar from the concept of "baby duck" syndrome and its effects.

Finally, to say one is going to quit playing because of this change just seems silly to me. Also, it's a bit humorous to read someone write that this is the worst decision/change that WGT has ever made. A lot of these posters have been playing less than a year. Trust me. The veterans on here probably could identify worse decisions or changes than this.

The category of worst decision or change by WGT has a lot of competition.:-)

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 8:28 AM

G71DABAU:
    the pc is dying because like the telephone of old, is tethered to a wall and hence makes it less convenient.

Again, that's simply not true. The PC or laptop is still extremely relevant. And the reason is that, for the most part, tablets are still basically used for consuming information. For productivity, a regular computer (whether it be a desktop or a laptop) is still superior and will be for some time to come.

And I use all formats (Windows desktop, Apple MacBook Pro, and iPad Pro). So, I'm pretty familiar with the various pieces of hardware and their capabilities. At this point, an iPad could never be a 100% replacement for my MacBook Pro.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 10:14 AM

Robert1893:

One of those would be releasing the IOS version of WGT Mobile on October 16 2013 with no way to play cross platform against members playing the web version. And Not PC version , web version because the web version can be played on many devices not just PC's.

But I digress. After over 4 years it appears to me that WGT could have and should have developed a way for us to play cross platform, As it stands now the only way for those of us who play the web version can  play players who are on mobile is by downloading and installing a Android emulator and play the mobile version on our computers. Why after 4 years do we have to do it this way?

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 11:13 AM

WGT states that folk wanted this. Why not believe that and wonder why and ponder the implications. Assuming true, then the social dynamic of those requesting faster play would be in the instant gratification crowd. By their very nature, I doubt most if not all would NEVER show up here.

No. Those who have complained here have made it clear that they miss the social aspect that one holers can't provide. Welcome to the more mature full gratification crowd. 

As far as md players getting no respect, believe me, you have mine. I've tried playing it both on my wife's phone a couple of times and on pc using an emulator. On the phone - way too tiny. A tablet would be better, I guess. On pc doing with a mouse what can be done with fingers is quite tedious. No. Not interested in a touch screen monitor. 

Hmm. Sum up, I suppose WGT is giving the silent majority exactly what they want. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 12:01 PM

borntobesting:

Robert1893:

But I digress. After over 4 years it appears to me that WGT could have and should have developed a way for us to play cross platform, As it stands now the only way for those of us who play the web version can  play players who are on mobile is by downloading and installing a Android emulator and play the mobile version on our computers. Why after 4 years do we have to do it this way?

I think it's basically because the two versions run on entirely different platforms; the PC version is based on Flash, whereas the mobile version is not.

I did complete a two-player game on mobile that I started on the PC, only to have the Internet drop out, so I guess there may be a way to make it work.

• calabash101
    214 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 12:07 PM

I play both mobile and pc, however most of my play is mobile and this change is USELESS...... one bad shot and the match is lost. Bring back the 3 hole matches. Give players a choice between 1 hole, 3 hole or 9 hole matches.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 12:20 PM

I haven't done this in over  a year but it worked then. I started a coin game on mobile. Closed out tablet and then resumed the game on PC. That is possible. Or at least was a year ago. 

THis tells me it would be fairly easy to cross platform. 

• Aussiedodger
    19 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 5:58 PM

Would it be that hard to offer all 3 options to each room (would offer great data to what is the most popular)? Or if that is too hard to add a few rooms to bridge the gap in the entry fees? i wont quit and I'm sure I will play more games with the new format but I will also play less holes which means buying less balls.

Congrats on adding a tiebreak which will stop people from the same club always getting the same score during turf wars for large amounts (coincidentally of course).

i prefer the mobile version and dream of the day when i can play matchplay, skins etc on mobile.

Better go now down to my local 2 hole course now, Just not sure if i want to play the front 1 or the back 1.

• Derek2544
    11 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2017 10:08 PM

Agreed.  So disappointing.  I despise the new 1 hole format.  I love the 18K room for the great competition and good payoff.  Now if I want to play 3 holes I get to play different tees unless we're at the same level.  HATE playing those different tees.  And for what?  A 4500 coin payoff?

Bad decision.  I hope they come to their senses and change it back.

RSS