Wed, Nov 24 2021 11:47 PM (518 replies)
  • Lizard69
    2,006 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2014 1:50 AM

chuddlymccannon:

I'm SORRY

Lizard, you are right and I am wrong

You dont owe me an apology :-)

Here's a tip for you though, whenever you read anything about anything on these forums, dont simply say "that's impossible" or give smart a$$ comments, do yourself a favor and ask HOW can I learn to do that?

There are many many pearls of wisdom that you can pick up on these forums and sometimes even from a tour pro with only 100 ranked rounds, yes, his or her stats may be ripped apart by the same "know it alls" I referred to earlier but that doesnt mean the info is incorrect and if it is slightly incorrect it may simply need a small tweak here or there to be perfected.

Never stop learning & definitely dont dismiss anything until you have tried it yourself :-)

Peace,

Liz

• chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2014 7:39 AM

I did owe you an apology Lizard

I think because of some of the negativity lately I have a bitter taste in my mouth

And I do know what you mean by curving the ball.  I guess I just have not found good success with it.

I will keep playing around with it though.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2014 9:05 AM

Lizard69:
    If you want video evidence of me curving the ball through the air AGAINST the wind, look me up on youtube, more than enough video evidence there to see how easy it is to do.

I did go to Lizard's YouTube site and I watched his recent video "Very Frustrating BpB 57" and at about 1:20 into the video he's on the tee at BPB #2 and hit a very nice drive into a 3mph headwind.  Did he curve it?

Yep, a bit.  Hard for me to see the ball flight against the sky in the video.  I would have like to have traced the ball flight but being the ball is hard to see and the camera pan made it impossible for me.  However using the 10 to 12 screen shots I took during that drive I did trace the ball's path on the mini-map.   I marked the ball's position in each screen shot on one mini-map.  And it curves a bit.

The red line connects the ball on the tee to where the ball lands on the fairway. All the ball positions are to the right of the direct path which tells me it does curve right to left.  But not as much as it looks like from the tee when the ball is in the air! 

I think we see more curve because we're looking at the ball flight a bit from a side view. (if we hit a ball directly in line with the camera lens we'd see a straight line, no arc, like this.

No arc at all.  Next I decided to use some mulligans and try and replicate Lizards shot.

I saw where he aimed, saw how early he hit it, and saw he used like half back spin.  I had a slight 2mph r to l wind tho but IMO close enough.

Here's my result although I didn't quite manage to hit it as early as Lizard.  His was maybe an 1/16 inch left of mine.  My click:

I added a blue triangle where I aimed my shot.  Here's the ball flight.

That worked well.  Very nice arc.  And you can tell how the ball being hit left of center shows a side view of the ball flight.  For comparison, let's see what the ball flight looks like if I aimed left and dinged it.  Mulligan time.

That arc's quite different.  Comparing the two images, the "draw" shot starts out to the right of the "dinged shot", yet it ends up to the left.  Therefore, IMO its gotta be curving.

Here's replays of my two shots:

Draw Effect Shot

Aim and Ding Shot

• Games4Ever71
    623 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2014 10:35 PM

PRACTICE =   SKILL = LEGEND !!

This is Virtual Golf, not real golf. Don't confuse the two, with this saying. Practice is just playing, and nothing to do with practice rounds either. I and others can do exactly the same, whether they do practice rounds or by just doing scored rounds. Practice rounds are pointless and you really don't get anything from them except no credits towards stats, just waste of time doing them. Oh and sandbaggers use practice rounds to get their levels up faster for equipment.

Just play normal scored rounds and at least you get what you earned for what you played. You get practice just from playing scored rounds.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 3:12 AM

If only the game wasn't so inconsistant, I'm convinced it is.  If I didn't experience so many similar shot situations and conditions with disproportionate results,  all the analysing, debating and calculating about this shot and that wind could be taken seriously.

If only it was only a game.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHEATS?

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2014 5:14 AM

Dubfore:

If only the game wasn't so inconsistant, I'm convinced it is.  If I didn't experience so many similar shot situations and conditions with disproportionate results,  all the analysing, debating and calculating about this shot and that wind could be taken seriously.

If only it was only a game.

WHAT ABOUT THE CHEATS?

Man I hear you, I have put way way way to much effort into this game. Sidewind charts and formulas, putting formulas, wind formulas, club distance charts by ball, power and spin, chip, pitching, rough, bunker and flopping charts. It's helped, I'm better, but it also allows me to more clearly identify the inconsistencies. That's not a good thing.

To drop $40.00 on pixels making up a putter to watch the putt the leap off the face sideways, makes me a sucker, to drop another $40.00 on top irons to have them fly offline makes me a sucker. The $40 driver works good enough, but I don't need precision with that club, close enough will do. $5.00 per sleeve of balls that I'm not clear they are producing better results, might be another sucker play on my part.

1 thing I learned, the par 3 challenges, not a chance in hell should I ever darken that doorstep.

I know people cheat, I know there are cheats, but I'm convinced without the work to learn the game, the countless hours of practice, there is no getting better at this game. I think cheaters look for shortcuts, they are not willing or able to do what it takes to get really good at this game.

Bottom line, you get, to some extent at least, get back what you put into this game, I do not for a second believe that any cheater can beat me in match play, if you put the effort in, the cheaters are not something to be feared or worry about. They can and will only go so far, the legit hard worker can far exceed any cheater.

I too, like many many others have been looking to bring some consistency to the game and something to stop the "lottery effect and feeling".  I have no chance in a lottery, game of skill, I believe I have what it takes to succeed, lottery, not so much.

I believe I could get to another level if my putts would consistently roll true and my irons would have have no more than 5 yards of dispersion.

I will give up on a lottery far faster then I would game of skill. This game feels like it is behaving more and more like a 1 armed bandit. But is it?

So having said all that, I'm also fairly certain, no matter what the big boys have repeatedly stated, why they state that is a mystery to me, but not one single person here has found absolute consistency. The big boys tend to carefully word their statements, saying things like " I have never had a shot have an unexpected result"  Well if you are not expecting a consistent result then that statement is true. That my friends, is as fair as it gets. I have had perfect rounds with all short putts, i have perfect rounds with all monster putts and chipins and holeouts, you just never know what you are going to get when you tee it up.

It would be nice to play well and tap in all birdies in a big tournament, it's just not possible for anyone, at least I like to believe it's not.

It's worth repeating, "you get, to some extent at least, get back what you put into this game". There are no short cuts to absolute consistency folks, if there were, a computer geek such as myself would of found it by now. You can short cut your way to a 67 or 68 average maybe, but that's about as good as any cheater will ever do.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 7:43 PM

We might be getting somewhere against the swing meter cheats.  I thought these short  posts about this might interest people.  

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Fri, Apr 11 2014 8:08 PM

Dubfore:

We might be getting somewhere against the swing meter cheats.  I thought these short  posts about this might interest people.  

And I'm moderated, for reasons unknown to me and this clown gets to do this and start witch hunts, wtf is your bar WGT.

• Silverfox11407
    26 Posts
    Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:21 PM

Personally i dont play for credits and enjoy the game simply for the fun with the friends i have made here using the chatbox and skype. 

However IMO it is quite simple to inspect another persons PC for cheat software if the suspect grants you remote access to his or her PC. If they dont then that pretty much tells you they have something to hide. I willingly will let WGT or any person gain remote access to my computer with the below program and there are many more apps that allow the same.

After gaining access to the other persons PC i can check what programs or apps are intially installed and also what apps have been installed and now un-installed from that persons PC.

Obviously alot of folks dont want someone else poking around in there personal files but i have all my personal data like IRS returns, Banking data, and Social Security numbers stored on thumbdrives.   

Nothing to hide here , but of course this is just my opinion worth 2 cents:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help-computer-problem-windows-remote-assistance#1TC=windows-7

Regards, Ron

RSS