Forums

Help › Forums

Smooth Meter 2017 -- GUIDE

Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:40 AM (104 replies)
  • joemt825
    124 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 1:35 AM

Agreed.  Most meter stuttering problems are not wgt fault.  Think AB was referring to the dreaded slide by, which only occurs every10th or  20th shot, but still kills a round.  A decent wired mouse will prevent this.  Just my opinion...which I'd rather not try to be argued off of.  Ty.

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 1:42 AM

Very interesting, thanks for your perspective mkrizan. It's appreciated. I might just have a go with dual boot windows 10 and xp

Joe, trust me, I know what you're saying. The one's who only criticize or argue against your tips without anything constructive is nails on chalkboard. But most on here have added useful thoughts and have been respectful so I wouldnt clump them all together

• PSUTOM
    188 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 2:20 AM

I am playing on an older PC running Windows Vista, with Firefox browser, and have been for many years. I had a gaming mouse (Razer) which I gave up in favor of a cheap wireless Logitech. My swing meter travels very smooth most of the time and my reaction time is pretty good for an old dude of 79 years (top 47% according to a test offered in a previous post).

I also own a new laptop running Windows 10 that is faster than my PC and it plays this game terrible. I play for fun and I'm not obsessed with being the the best golfer on WGT, although I see nothing wrong with that if that's is ones goal.

All of the above information is simply an fYI. The important thing to remember is that you are trying to defeat a computer game by outscoring all the program variables and including human reaction time coupled with random happenstance on occasion, such as the perfect shot that goes completely haywire.

It is wonderful that players use this forum to help other members by charts, graphs and other scientific methods, but having so many variables in play we simply forget that practice and memory will be our best friend.

I believe it was Einstein who said " Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results was the definition of insanity." He obviously never played golf.

And by the way, my reaction time at this game is much better than WGT's ability to allow posting reaction time. :)

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 4:22 AM

Huh?

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 5:41 AM

mkrizan86:
    I've had the same mouse (5eur, I think)

Ripped off J..  4.50 here ;-)

mkrizan86:
    for my first 4 years, by the end it was held together with duct tape, with wires hanging out. It was, but when it finally kicked the bucket, I bought a similar design (and price) and got used to it very quickly

Was loathe to dump mine..( no choice ) all about....

mkrizan86:
    how a mouse sits in my hand and how I'm positioned (how high I'm sitting compared to the table)

^, exactly what gets me going..got a folded over pillow on my plastic patio chair ( needs a wash tbh ;D ) and a folded T towel to raise / comfort the wrist ( used to get bruised and friction burns the amount I played back when )

Often thought of buying a new table & chair but..after 5 years..it still works ;-))

mkrizan86:
    For me, a smaller and flatter mouse works best

A bulbous chunk here..that sits in the palm snugly

mkrizan86:
    The other big thing is CPU usage. When my PC (an ancient machine with 0,5 gig RAM and W XP, but the best for this game out of anything I played on) broke last fall and I had to switch to a laptop with Win 7, the meter was terrible. Jerky and stopped whenever it felt like it. It improved to 100 great when I turned off Windows update, so it doesn't even searh for one any more. Then I only had to adjust my timing and muscle memory to the bigger flash delay on Win7  and after a few months I'm fairly confident with my timing. And the meter is reasonably smooth, not as good as it was on the old crappy PC, but better than I ever hoped for. Needless to say, everything else needs to be turned off ;-)

Never used anything but W7 ( took about 18 months to configure correctly in the beginning with alot of help on this Forum, especially with that major Flash prob, right in the middle, 4 yrs back )

CPU now ticks over @ a steady 15- 27 %, with an ancient laptop, like u, had to learn to disable updates, Win & Abode

Not sure I could remember all the things did to get this smooth a$$ meter ;)

mkrizan86:
    As for browsers, I never tried anything other than W IE, FF and Chrome. Everything work great and the same on XP, but only Chrome and FF work well on Win7.

Tried IE / FF / Ch and nothing for me beats my flash / browser combo in Maxthon..

So.....

Guess the moral of these posts is..

Not the same works for all, and we wish you all a smooth as dinging experience as possible..

Maybe a mixture of what works for some, will work for YOU

happy dinging

Andy

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 5:49 AM

Hi AB, 

I'd already done most of your recommendations on the say so of a techie/gamer & good player (52 Av) on here & it made a huge difference, nearly as much as HUGE drive! ;)

Below is the "budget" gaming mouse they recommended for me, Got it in a sale for €19.99

401.2.0?gclid=CLS8svnx7NMCFUu77QodZkcDhA

Ken

• garyk49
    2,318 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 5:53 AM

I think what some have failed to notice, in my searching on the subject anyway.

Yes, 100, 500, 1000 are all different speeds with 1000 being the fastest.  It's the gaming mice that let you change those speeds.

Most talked about concerning these speeds, mainly refer to mouse position,(along with DPI settings) and how often per second, or millisecond that movement is seen by the CPU, so it can change what is displayed, showing the current position of the mouse cursor.

But what most have seemed to miss is, that is also how often the mouse is seen as doing anything, including the mouse click, or any button used on the mouse.

The more times the mouse is scanned the quicker it will see the mouse click.

• DocFox54
    294 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 6:05 AM

Dneirf:

DocFox54:
    ~snip~ BTW, with all this talk about  whatever-seconds, what hasn't been mentioned is that most better gaming mice are much more ergonomic (read fit your hand better and move more consistently) and have better (read shorter) movements than cheap mice. ~snip~ 

TRY THAT FANCY ERGONOMIC MOUSE ON THIS ERGOMETER!

I think you'd be well served to stand in front of a mirror and study the Dunning–Kruger effect.  Just say'in.  LOL

• garyk49
    2,318 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 6:50 AM

K7JBQ:

I've given up playing with a mouse, period. Using a Logitech trackball at home and a Kensington one at the office, both wireless. I have no idea what the polling rates are, but they both work just fine.

It's still a mouse, just a different type, in the traditional sense.  My wife prefers the trackball, as she does a lot with CS, easier to trace lines around objects for cropping.

Advantage is, your hand always stays in the same place.  I find them hard to use, especially for gaming.  And I don't really consider WGT gaming.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 9:19 AM

Gary,

You're right, of course. Both the trackball and the mouse do the same things, just using different mechanisms and movements.

The trackball does take a bit of getting used to, but once you have it dialed in it works very well for both WGT and general work. I use the Kensington Expert Mouse (yes, they call it that even though it's a trackball) all day at work, and find it much more comfortable for heavy use.

I'd use it at home, too, if it weren't just too large for my desk there. But the Logitech one works fine, though a bit lighter and cheaper.

garyk49:

K7JBQ:

I've given up playing with a mouse, period. Using a Logitech trackball at home and a Kensington one at the office, both wireless. I have no idea what the polling rates are, but they both work just fine.

It's still a mouse, just a different type, in the traditional sense.  My wife prefers the trackball, as she does a lot with CS, easier to trace lines around objects for cropping.

Advantage is, your hand always stays in the same place.  I find them hard to use, especially for gaming.  And I don't really consider WGT gaming.

RSS