Forums

Help › Forums

Smooth Meter 2017 -- GUIDE

Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:40 AM (104 replies)
  • AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, May 7 2017 4:08 PM
    I decided posting this in a low flow thread wouldn't do justice for the work I put into it. So you people who want to start something you may procede if it makes you happy.

As I am slowing down and planning to retire after 2017 VUSO I felt a need to clarify a couple major misinformations concerning the meter. After hours and hours and hours of insane madness over a crap meter I found out a couple things. You won't regret reading if you are one of the many like me who struggled with the wgt meter and are an honest player that doesn't use auto ding software.

I'd bet anyone money its the mouse itself that causes 99% of wgt meter problems. The meter slide is a classic symptom of a low polling rate cheap mouse or a wireless mouse. 

So enjoy, you might finally find some peace with the wgt meter

So lets get right into it... Most people on this site use a cheap 1080p 60 hz monitor. You want something around 100hz. You can find a very cheap 144hz monitor these days. I'll explain later, you can get away with not upgrading this..

Bare minimum you want a 250 ms polling rate mouse, most people use a wireless mouse or worse a cheap wired mouse (polling rate is the time your click signal travels through pc to what you see on monitor) because anything less and the fluctuations of the polling rate can severely hinder consistency in a flash game like this. I ran a test and the rate of a cheap mouse went anywhere from 100 to 150. Once you get to 500ms those flucuations don't matter.

if one changed just one of those two things, he would be stunned at the difference. You change both and practically right as you click it registers on screen.

You really want 500ms

I found that the higher rated polling rate mice makes timing consistent, and didn't have one slide by while next click registers faster. Higher refreshrate monitor in hz made click show up more instantaneously, but did not however fix inconsitencies in meter responsiveness,

All being said if you have an older slow pc, these recommendations may not help as much as if you have a modern pc. But a modern pc WILL NOT solve these problems and a mediocre new pc will beat a top of the line pc if these stipulations are met. Save your money,

Personal recommendation.

Browser: maxthon 5 cloud

Ram: 8gb ddr3 1600 or better (I'm at 16GB ddr4 3000)

CPU: a modern gen i5 or amd ryzen 4 or better (Ryzen 5 1600 oc'd to 3.9 ghz)

Monitor: 144hz 1080p monitor (2560x1440p 144hz monitor with freesync)

Mouse: any decent gaming mouse priced about $30, make sure it's a 500ms polling rate (razer abyssus v2 1000 polling rate mouse)

Run cc cleaner every couple weeks along with browser cache and specifically clear the wgt flash file once every week or two.

Turn off antivirus software while you play that includes windows defender which you have to disable every time you restart pc

AB

EDIT: 06/08/17

Adding wind formula. This took hours and hours to create. I also added an accurate elevation formula. If you want my iron mapping document, send me a pm. I hope this helps

edit?usp=sharing

Use chrome and a logged on google account to open. It may not work if not work.

Updated cpu recommendation from i5 and ryzen 7 to a modern i3 processor or ryzen 4 or equivelent past generation processor.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 10:58 AM

i have a cheap 5 bucks wired mouse and get metered about 3 times a year

and i never turn off windows defender

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 11:38 AM

fairground11:

i have a cheap 5 bucks wired mouse and get metered about 3 times a year

and i never turn off windows defender

Congratulations

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 11:58 AM

AgentBrown123:
    So you people who want to start something

You already did, as it were.

just sayin'

d. :)

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 12:48 PM

I am having a hard time with the idea that mouse polling rates can be a "game changer" as it were.  Ok, so @ 500mhz, your mouse will "refresh" its connection to your computer every 2 milliseconds as opposed to every 8 milliseconds. Faster, yes- but probably far more meaningful for mouse "movement" (as in shooting games) than mouse "clicking" (as in trying to ding the meter). Higher polling rates also increase CPU usage. If you go to a mouse polling rate test site such as: 

http://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

you will notice almost no reading when you click- but a full reading when you "move" the mouse.

Also, the total "latency" of any gaming experience (ie total "reaction time") is a combination of mouse, monitor, and human response time, plus internet connection latency (ping). So even at 144hz monitor, 500 ms mouse polling, say 12 ms internet latency (really good), you get:

2ms + 7 ms+ 250 ms+ 12 ms= 271 milliseconds delay between when your brain says "click", and the instant your meter stops on its way. That is a quarter of a second.

If you are good at "dinging" (or off ding at will) then you have good muscle memory with the ability to "time" the delay from approaching your desired "stop point" to click approx. a 1/4 second "early". I have my doubts a faster polling or refresh rate is a significant factor in making you "better", however a smoother meter from whatever changes (and there are MANY possible changes) is always helpful. 

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 2:13 PM

PS Test your "human reaction time" here:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

• HALFBACKFLANK
    416 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2017 11:07 PM

skccvb:

PS Test your "human reaction time" here:

http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

Hitting the ding is more timing than reaction. You can see the meter moving along the line towards the ding mark. That reaction test measures how fast you react to something you can't see coming.

• DownTheMIddle08
    356 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 9:28 AM

Thank you, AgentBrown123. My frustration with the swing meter has had me nearly not returning just to avoid the hassle. I'm not a great player, but I enjoy the game. I'll try the mouse upgrade first to see how much of the problem is remedied.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 12:34 PM

HALFBACKFLANK:
    Hitting the ding is more timing than reaction. You can see the meter moving along the line towards the ding mark. That reaction test measures how fast you react to something you can't see coming.

the reaction timing is the same, more or less, because it is the time it takes for the brain to decide to act and for the body to use the finger to "click"...this is nearly instantaneous but still takes anywhere from 100 to 400 ms as seen on the chart, averaging around 250 ms. 

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 1:11 PM

skccvb:

I am having a hard time with the idea that mouse polling rates can be a "game changer" as it were.  Ok, so @ 500mhz, your mouse will "refresh" its connection to your computer every 2 milliseconds as opposed to every 8 milliseconds. Faster, yes- but probably far more meaningful for mouse "movement" (as in shooting games) than mouse "clicking" (as in trying to ding the meter). Higher polling rates also increase CPU usage. If you go to a mouse polling rate test site such as: 

http://zowie.benq.com/en/support/mouse-rate-checker.html

you will notice almost no reading when you click- but a full reading when you "move" the mouse.

Also, the total "latency" of any gaming experience (ie total "reaction time") is a combination of mouse, monitor, and human response time, plus internet connection latency (ping). So even at 144hz monitor, 500 ms mouse polling, say 12 ms internet latency (really good), you get:

2ms + 7 ms+ 250 ms+ 12 ms= 271 milliseconds delay between when your brain says "click", and the instant your meter stops on its way. That is a quarter of a second.

If you are good at "dinging" (or off ding at will) then you have good muscle memory with the ability to "time" the delay from approaching your desired "stop point" to click approx. a 1/4 second "early". I have my doubts a faster polling or refresh rate is a significant factor in making you "better", however a smoother meter from whatever changes (and there are MANY possible changes) is always helpful. 

scientifically it might not make sense that a higher polling rate mouse would help. All I can go by is having tried numerous different mice (yes from getting angry at game and breaking them) and personally there is no doubt in my mind that it makes a difference. Think it has something to do with a flash based game as any other game such as an fps, I cannot tell a difference

RSS