Forums

Help › Forums

We Want Oakmont Back -- Petition

Thu, Aug 31 2017 4:14 PM (221 replies)
  • pmm711
    5,520 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 9:15 PM

the following cartoon does not represent WGT's near future...

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 9:25 PM

Make sure you fast forward to 2:30 in video...

Cheers

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 2:09 AM

AgentBrown123:

Lol Baggese,

Any kind of action won't change the fact that wgt has delegated itself as a nuisance of a golf game. They simply don't care anymore. The game is dying and thy're giving up. There's no saving it. Letting Oakmont go was the beginning of the end. Nothing I or anyone else tries will change that fact. 

It's been fun guys

Don't kid yourselves

But how do we know WGT knew ahead of time that Oakmont was going pulll their course? Contracts these days even long term contracts can be cancelled at any time for any reason.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 2:29 AM

borntobesting:
    But how do we know WGT knew ahead of time that Oakmont was going pulll their course?

Several months ago (last year) when they asked a group of players to create some new Best Of course..those players were told not to include Oakmont, Cabo, or Whistler. They knew a long time ago. 

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 4:06 AM

borntobesting:
    Contracts these days even long term contracts can be cancelled at any time for any reason.

Here there was a definite investment in the cost of shooting the course, so I doubt the contract could be terminated at will. However, it ended an even 7 years after the course went up, so maybe it had a fixed endpoint or minimum duration. Or WGT could have effed up by allowing Oakmont holes in CC-generated mashup courses.

This is all speculation of course.

Also consider the parties' relative incentives. Besides some licence fees (which a rich club like Oakmont really, really doesn't need), Oakmont has no particular incentive to see its course used for computer-simulated golf. It's an intensively private club no doubt with a waiting list out the wazoo. It's not like the exposure on WGT is going to help Oakmont's "business" (as in a certain sense it is not a business, but is run by the members, for the members (same for Merion, Olympic, St. George's etc.)

It's different for resort courses like Pebble, Kiawah, Pinehurst, Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, Bandon.... They can use exposure on WGT to drum up paying punters. You could imagine them paying for the privilege of being on WGT.

As it stands, a valuable digital asset in the form of the Oakmont course as shot and coded and released by WGT is going to waste. It's a dead loss.

SAD!!!

• Edgey54321
    547 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 8:48 AM

Everybody seems to want Oakmont back so I am in a minority, I never liked the course, and the replacement of Erin Hills could be interesting. 

Also I would not mind losing 3 or4 more course's provided they were replaced by new one's, as some of what we have are becoming boring. Treat this as a new opportunity rather than a loss.

It appears that WGT only want a set amount of course's available for us to use, fair enough so changing them is not such a bad  idea,  is it.

Alan

• RyjaTybas
    5,142 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 11:47 AM

jayw4862:
    Several months ago (last year) when they asked a group of players to create some new Best Of course..those players were told not to include Oakmont, Cabo, or Whistler. They knew a long time ago. 

But, Oakmont has never been used in any of the WGT combination/best of courses - so that doesn't really explain it.

The dispute may have arisen because WGT made Oak available for Custom Courses?

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 1:13 PM

GET OVER IT

oakmonts gone

• RyjaTybas
    5,142 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 1:38 PM

adaputter:
    GET OVER IT

Why should I get over it?

Should I turn the other cheek?

A wrong, is a wrong, is a wrong - and can't simply be glossed over.

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 1:38 PM

Get over the fact people aren't over it

RSS