Forums

Help › Forums

We Want Oakmont Back -- Petition

Thu, Aug 31 2017 4:14 PM (221 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 4:21 AM

overtheedge:
    THE most graphic, detailed, as close as you could get to "real golf on-line game" EVER created and TG completely destroyed it in LESS THAN YEAR. A game that took years to create and then develope and TG destroys it in less than a year.

Oakmont to one side*, can you give some examples of what  Topgolf has done in less than a year that has ruined the game?

* I am bitterly dissappointed by the removal of Oakmont, I am also worried that the same thing may happen with all the US Open courses that came after it.

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 4:42 AM

PaulTon:

* I am bitterly dissappointed by the removal of Oakmont, I am also worried that the same thing may happen with all the US Open courses that came after it.

PaulTon:
    Oakmont to one side*, can you give some examples of what  Topgolf has done in less than a year that has ruined the game?

The first part of you post is not far off now.

Second part;

1 example - they bought in. 2nd example - Oakmont is gone,,, (OVER NIGHT) The most challenging course WGT had, gone because an "agreement". An agreement that somewhere, somehow a line was broken. For Oakmont to pull out sooo fast it obvious somebody pissed somebody off - big time. 

TG / WGT / whoever, the game is nearing its end. It will eventually go mobile (ONLY). I don't know how in the hell people play this game on a phone and actually enjoy it.

• mymanpayne
    6,137 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 8:49 AM

I always had a love/hate relationship with Oakmont.  Hated watching a good shot roll 20-30 ft away on some shots,  loved the challenge of posting a good score on it, which i have from time to time.  But, the overall winner was Oakmont.   This was too good of a course to walk away from in my opinion!

mmp

• RyjaTybas
    5,142 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 11:30 AM

Its such a downer to look at the cut-down course list and be constantly reminded of the loss of Oakmont. 

The game is sadly diminished, overnight, just like that.

• JonJohn2
    307 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 11:39 AM

Ditto to WGT why remove such a challenging course while inserting a drab plain jane course like Erin Hills. Only one thing comes to mind  greed and money under the table. 

JJ2

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 11:40 AM

I miss Oakmont  nerve  though it was not one of my  favorites.

• WillyBigg
    2,135 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 11:47 AM

Losing players left & right ever since tg took over & it certainly looks like their goal is bankruptcy for the PC version. I think you are badly mistaken tg, if you think the mobile version will ever come close to the profits that PC users generated. I can promise you all you will never see me playing mobile, mainly for kids if you ask me.

Hang your heads in shame tg, obviously our beloved pc game & it's supporters mean nothing to you.

• Paul1286155
    98 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 12:01 PM

BUSINESS IS BUSINESS, Just ask Donald Trump.

Sometimes it's good sometimes it sucks, but it's there business not yours and they will run it as they see fit.

So let me understand you, you feel it's wrong to get rid of Oakmont, and I agree but I guess you don't have a car or truck that runs on gas, because it seems that if prices go up you would not buy gas either. How about when food goes up, do you stop eating? How about when clothes prices go up do you still buy clothes?  How about when your wife/girlfriend wants their nails done and the price has gone up $20 do you say No?

You get my drift

Paul

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 12:38 PM

I think it will be instructive to see what happens after Erin Hills. That may tell us more about where Top Golf is taking the game than anything.  Will there be another course next year? Or will they stop investing in the game? Only time will tell. A statement from WGT on the future of the game is badly needed. Hello? Anyone from WGT out there??

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 1:10 PM

HackWilson1930:
    Unfortunately we are not and have not been privy to the internal workings of WGT or TopGolf. The information flow is very limited and somewhat opaque, [sic] For all we know WGT might have been trying to renew the contract until the very last minute, The refusal may have come from Oakmont's side.

Which for a business is the way it should be, and yes it could be Oakmont that pulled the plug.

Many WGT players have unrealistic expectations regarding WGT making public proprietary information regarding it's business or business plans.

Oakmont has hosted the U.S. Open nine times, more than any other course, most recently in 2016 and is scheduled to host the U.S. Open for the 10th time in 2025. It may be that 2025 is to far in the future per the WGT/USGA agreement for including U.S. Open venues on WGT.

Pebble Beach Golf Links stepped up and let WGT make it a full 18 hole stroke play course before PB would again host the U.S. Open - in 2019. So we already have the 2019 U.S. Open venue.

So it's like we break even. We gained one and lost one.

In 2018 Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in Southampton, N.Y. hosts the U.S. Open.

RSS