Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont removed after update ??

Fri, Nov 10 2017 8:07 AM (99 replies)
  • RyjaTybas
    5,145 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 1:17 PM

Its not just about losing a great course - but about losing any course - seeing as there are so few.

This year, 2017, will be the first with no increase in the number of stroke courses since WGT started.

Not a good omen.

• mootsputter
    2 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 1:38 PM

Why get rid of fun and very challenging course ?   Was in my top 2 of favorites.  Found it interesting that WGT  never used this course on their option/rotation.  Always thought of it as their red-headed stepchild .  A shame it is no longer here.

Moo T Sputter

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 1:39 PM

Heard Clashes would be on a 4 day rotation so we gotz that going for us

• TRutger
    133 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 2:23 PM

Its pretty damn obvious the big dog cares little about us consumers. This is nothing new. Its been that was since the beginning. So has this venue to listen to each other squeak. 

Here's an idea, a site wide strike. Like that will ever happen...................The lack of ability or initiative to promote change is as brutal as repeated whining. And I'm included on the list of whiners. 

4,146 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 8:01 PM

mootsputter:

Always thought of it as their red-headed stepchild

LOL - it's anything but.  Google Oakmont to appreciate it's significance.  It's a National Historic Landmark.

I'd trade the cartoon courses (Cabo and Whistler) along with Chambers Bay and Erin Hills (which I predict will never host more than one US Open) to have Oakmont back.

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Thu, Apr 27 2017 11:16 PM

Do yer research.

Oakmont is here to stay. Not here, maybe......But Oakmont holds five aces.

Do you know historic stories of Oak?

Pffft.....If you don't know those you ain't never gonna.

~txzdave~

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2017 4:32 AM

Amidst all the doom and gloom has anyone stopped to ponder whether the contract not being renewed was WGT's call or not?  Maybe, just maybe Oakmont said no.  

I don't have info either way, but maybe.  Could be.  

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2017 4:46 AM

RyjaTybas:

Its not just about losing a great course - but about losing any course - seeing as there are so few.

This year, 2017, will be the first with no increase in the number of stroke courses since WGT started.

Not a good omen.

This is the crux of the issue for me. The most valuable assets WGT has are the courses they have so meticulously created. They invest 100's (1,000s?) of hours creating these masterpieces. And to lose one of these assets because of a business contract problem indicates to me a serious lack of attention to the basics of this business. As a business, how do you allow yourself to lose one of your most valuable assets? If this were a publicly traded company (I assume it's not), the stock would be dropping like a stone right now. Unbelievably stupid and incompetent management is at work here.

• TomJay1
    200 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2017 7:27 AM

This site is a masterpiece in profit making. We get to keep Bandon Dunes, a waste of creativity, and lose Oakmont, one of the top venues in USGA. For those of you that wonder who Top Golf is go here,

https://topgolf.com/us/company/press-room/ownership/

• EJMECW
    1 Posts
    Fri, Apr 28 2017 8:43 AM

you have to wonder why there is no commentary from WGT - I think I have seen one post from WGT in the whole thread?........whats up with that?

RSS