Forums

Help › Forums

this is basically cheating!!

Sat, Dec 10 2016 7:02 AM (23 replies)
  • duffputt
    314 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:02 AM

And if you wanna be really really good, not just good, you should stop using the punch from any distance.

Over 20Y its the 60Y wedge full shot type with either neutral spin or topspin. Only on severe pin locations in heavy tailwind should the full backspin be used.

Under 20Y its the 17Y pitch shot that should be used. And avoid full backspin if the slopes let you. Personal at 5 yards I have around 30% hole-outs, 5-10% from 10Y.

Note picth distances on a paper. I do. Both neutral spin, 35% spin and full backspin. Do it for different greenspeeds. Then its easy to get it really really close.

A punch or flop (from closer range) can easily be put within 1 yard.

But....

Within 50 yard your goal should be a hole-out. A flop or a full backspin punch is very bad at this.

This advice only goes for good clubs and balls with good spinattributes.

• Robert1893
    7,675 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:16 AM

@duffputt

Would you be willing to walk through a typical calculation on a shot?

Let's say you have a 30-yard shot to the hole. How would you hit that? (Let's take wind out of the calculation for the moment and assume the green is fairly flat, with tournament or championship speeds).

• duffputt
    314 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 6:51 AM

Yep.

Around 60-61% 60Y wedge full shot neutral spin. Carry around 27 yards and 3 yard roll.

You could also use 59% 60Y wedge full shot  50% topspin.

Remember: st andrews and st george have harder greens and roll more, so 1% less on these greens and maybe 20% back.

If you feel you cant predict the roll, use 25% backspin and add 1 % power. The ball will stop gently on the second bounce.

About using spin: in this game ball behaviour isnt like reality, but you can use it to your advantage. Example Oakmont hole 2 left pin: if you have 56Y left (no wind), you might hit 60Y neutral spin 95%, but even with neutral you might roll down the hill.

Instead use the 80Y wedge and hit around 80% power with full backspin. It will just stop. As long as power is under 90% its a guaranteed drop dead shot (this rule does not apply for uneven lies).

Another: 56Y is normal 94% 60Y wedge full shot (with top Nike ball), but it will be wiser using the 80Y wedge full shot and hit it 76%, it will roll the last 2-3 yards and your hole-out chance increases.

Hope this gives some ideas

• Robert1893
    7,675 Posts
    Sat, Dec 10 2016 7:02 AM

This is terrific information. It gives me some great ideas. Thanks! I'm going to save this in a Word document so that I can reference it later.

I really appreciate you sharing it. 

RSS