Thu, Dec 8 2016 4:36 PM

Bethpage hole #13 fringe or fairway?

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/236598.aspx

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 11:24 PM

Robert1893:

Vaibhav5viv:
    Chip is harder, and once its in your bag, its a real birdie maker ;)

See, I feel the same way about the pitch. Even on short shots from the off the green (for example, about 5 yards), I still pitch rather than chip.

That's what I love about the game, there is no single right way to play well.  Anyone who's played real golf will have heard countless tips on how to play a short shot, it's similar here except we only have shot types, not varying ways to break the wrists, lock the arms or slide under the ball.

I play a pitch if I'm within about 14 yards, anything further I play a punch.  I almost never use the flop and have chipped about 3 times in all my years here.

And that, if anyone's interested, is THE RIGHT way to do it : ))

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 2:16 AM

Personally on short game i consider the whole map of the stroke. Rarely i use the chip and only on flat surfaces such as BPB (not every hole though). My prefered shot is pitch but in some cases flop is in order to give height to the ball and avoid obstacles. Truth is, you can't play every shot using a single mode alone. So, it's best to know how to handle all 3.

• Bill19542
    169 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 2:29 AM

No, that's the right way for you to do it. If I have a 14 yd shot and I know I can flop it within a yard of the hole then flop it I will. Then that's the right way for me to do it. Horses for courses and all that

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 5:54 AM

@MainzMan

Agreed. Well said.

People need to find what works best for them. For the first few months I played, around the green, I probably hit a flop shot 90% of the time and pitched it about 10% of the time. I would guess that now those percentages are reversed.

If the green has a considerable slope away from me, I'm more likely to use a flop. But if it's the opposite or fairly flat around the hole, I'll pitch it every time. I think the pitch gives me a better chance at holing the shot. Nevertheless, both shots (flop or pitch) should leave the ball at tap-in or close to tap-in range. 

I never could master the chip, so I gave up on it.  

By the way, for the above, I'm referring to shots that are fewer than 20 yards away from the pin. For shots 20 yards or more from the pin, I use a mix of a full shot (hitting at 50% or higher, depending on how far away) or a punch shot. I think, like most, it's taken me a while to master the punch shot. But it's a great shot to use. 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 6:04 AM

Bill19542:

No, that's the right way for you to do it.

Let me know when that sense of humour kicks in will you.

I figured putting a double smile after it would indicate it was tongue in cheek.

• Robert1893
    7,673 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 6:08 AM

MainzMan:
    I figured putting a double smile after it would indicate it was tongue in cheek.

It did. 

I think, like a lot of conversations that people have, he may have been just so intent on getting to what he had to say that he forgot to really read what you actually wrote. :-)  

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 6:11 AM

Robert1893:

I think, like most, it's taken me a while to master the punch shot. But it's a great shot to use. 

Thanks Robert, at least someone took what I was saying the right way.

And I agree 100% about the punch shot.    For those between club distances it's a real shot saver.  Hit at full power my bag effectively has 4 clubs that go 120, 103, 100, 83, 75, 62, 50 and 41 yards, it's like having twice as many wedges in the bag.  I included the Vapor PW because it's so good t can pretty much hold it's own alongside the ATV wedges.

And that's without even starting to play around with spin, that can make a good 8 to 10 yards difference on it's own.

For anyone not using the punch shot I cannot recommend it enough.  The time it takes to get competent is well worth spending.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 5:37 PM

Something to consider about this weird mapping of 13 in the fringe area is:

What does the game think this 'fringe' area is?

If you see the post* when the ball was just off the green on the fringe it said 'chip' which could indicate the mapping thinks it's a fairway shot, perhaps.

Farther off it says 'putt' but there is a large fringe area between the ball and green so the mapping might have mistakenly putt a small area of green in the wrong spot. As stated, listening to the caddy's suggestion of putting could be disastrous.

Whatever, but I bring it up because playing a pitch, chip or flop etc. from the fringe is a different calculation (albeit small) than the fairway or green etc.

* http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/236598.aspx

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 6:04 PM

Damn straight. The punch shot is a real score saver. Just remember that by nature it's a lower trajectory shot, so expect it to roll more unless you compensate with backspin.

MainzMan:

Robert1893:

I think, like most, it's taken me a while to master the punch shot. But it's a great shot to use. 

Thanks Robert, at least someone took what I was saying the right way.

And I agree 100% about the punch shot.    For those between club distances it's a real shot saver.  Hit at full power my bag effectively has 4 clubs that go 120, 103, 100, 83, 75, 62, 50 and 41 yards, it's like having twice as many wedges in the bag.  I included the Vapor PW because it's so good t can pretty much hold it's own alongside the ATV wedges.

And that's without even starting to play around with spin, that can make a good 8 to 10 yards difference on it's own.

For anyone not using the punch shot I cannot recommend it enough.  The time it takes to get competent is well worth spending.

RSS