Forums

Help › Forums

Lipping out of the cup

Fri, Dec 9 2016 12:21 AM (37 replies)
  • whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 8:55 PM

PaulTon:

You can't hit the pin with a putt, as far as the game is concerned it's not in the hole. It's there on the screen as a visual aid only.

Replays always show the pin, even if you removed it for the shot itself.

Thanks Paul, I didn't know that.

Wish I'd removed it for this one,

a bit harsh though I feel.

Cheers!

Rich

• alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 11:09 PM

PaulTon:
    You can't hit the pin with a putt,

Nitpickingly, "with a putt from the green".

On any shot from the fringe or further out the pin is "real" and you can hit it also with a putt. You'd have to pull it to be save.

PaulTon:
    Replays always show the pin, even if you removed it for the shot itself.

Yep, one weakness of replays - you never know if it was pulled or not.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 12:13 AM

whooshdangit:

Wish I'd removed it for this one,

a bit harsh though I feel.

I had that happen many a time,   mostly going into water    lol

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 12:53 AM

Hi Mantis,

I've seen that happen. I won't laugh quite so loud in future. Thought I'd managed to exhaust all the possible ways of getting on that green and off again though. Obviously not!

Cheers!

Rich

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 1:02 AM

alosso:

PaulTon:
    You can't hit the pin with a putt,

Nitpickingly, "with a putt from the green".

On any shot from the fringe or further out the pin is "real" and you can hit it also with a putt. You'd have to pull it to be save.

Not nitpicking at all Paul, I'm happy you added that, it's an important point for people to know.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 2:08 PM

whooshdangit:

Hi Mantis,

I've seen that happen. I won't laugh quite so loud in future. Thought I'd managed to exhaust all the possible ways of getting on that green and off again though. Obviously not!

Cheers!

Rich

I think in those situations you have to laugh or it drive ya crazy.  It would be interesting to know what the ball would have done if the pin wasn't there. 

Still a good debate when the ball hitting the flag whether it would have gone it or not as you see it hitting at speed and stopping close to pin.   If the pin was taken out would it have run straight over the hole and end up 30 ft past or would it have gone in.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 3:15 PM

Seems I remember years ago there were a lot of disscusions about mapping errors.Always assumed that balls that roll over the hole to that.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 12:21 AM

mantis0014:

I think in those situations you have to laugh or it drive ya crazy.  It would be interesting to know what the ball would have done if the pin wasn't there. 

Still a good debate when the ball hitting the flag whether it would have gone it or not as you see it hitting at speed and stopping close to pin.   If the pin was taken out would it have run straight over the hole and end up 30 ft past or would it have gone in.

I finally managed a half decent image of the "moment of impact" if you like. As I suspected, it's hit the top of the pin on it's way down.

As my 64°W is rated 50yds I would have played it with a touch of spin and it's coming down pretty close. No question of it rolling anywhere, it would stop dead.

Oh well, lesson learnt and another reason to dislike this green immensely!

Cheers!

Rich

RSS