Forums

Help › Forums

Lipping out of the cup

Fri, Dec 9 2016 12:21 AM (37 replies)
  • eriepamarty
    9 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 7:08 AM

I just got to Level 50 and now a Tour Pro..and I have noticed lately a lot of my putts are lipping out. I even had a few 360 Degree around the hole.  I don't remember this happening as much a long the way. Is the Game less forgiving the higher up go you or is just a flaw in the game right now

Just curious

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 2:03 PM

eriepamarty:
    I just got to Level 50 and now a Tour Pro..and I have noticed lately a lot of my putts are lipping out.

eriepamarty:
    Is the Game less forgiving the higher up go you?

I don't recall anything like that, but it's been a while. 

:^)

What I've found true is that lipoutitis comes and goes. Right now I'm in a bout with it. 3 lipouts in 18 holes today (1 from 5 flippin' feet.) 2 in 9 yesterday. 

I did take a gander at your kit. I remember trying that putter. Hated it. 

• docflash9
    47 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 3:01 PM

I've never seen the putting this bad. My ball goes where ever it wants to.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 3:08 PM

eriepamarty:
    I just got to Level 50 and now a Tour Pro..and I have noticed lately a lot of my putts are lipping out.

This is classic example of what speed causes. Simply put, your putts are too fast. The sides of the cup slam shut and you skip by. Get the speed right and they fall in.

When you moved up to TP the green speeds got faster. They're 10.0 for you now and you just need to slow down a touch. :-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 3:09 PM

docflash9:

I've never seen the putting this bad.

Replace the word 'the' with 'my' and there's the answer.

Believe me or carry on game blaming it's up to you but choosing the latter means you'll never improve.

docflash9:
    My ball goes where ever it wants to.

No, the ball invariably goes where you hit it.

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Wed, Nov 30 2016 3:10 PM

eriepamarty:
    I just got to Level 50 and now a Tour Pro

Your green speed at tour pro has moved from 9.0 speed to 10.0 speed. If you are still hitting the putts with the same power you were before tour pro then it can cause a lot of lipouts. The faster speed will now make the breaks more prominent as well.

• Fencer100
    2,063 Posts
    Thu, Dec 1 2016 3:31 AM

PaulTon:

Replace the word 'the' with 'my' and there's the answer.

Believe me or carry on game blaming it's up to you but choosing the latter means you'll never improve.

However much we try to blame the game when things are going badly, invariably it is down to us. 

paul was absolutely bang on with his comment

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:26 AM

JimbeauC:
    I did take a gander at your kit. I remember trying that putter. Hated it. 

Yes I had and hated that putter too. Except  for the crappy  EZ-swing putter the Spider is probably the worst  putter in the game.

As for lip outs as Yj said it comes down to speed and also line. Even a putt hit at the right speed can lip out if it catches the lip on the low side. Catch the lip on the high side it has a chance to drop but not on the low side. 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:22 AM

borntobesting:
    Yes I had and hated that putter too. Except  for the crappy  EZ-swing putter the Spider is probably the worst  putter in the game.

One reason why I say, "no putter below 500 crs."

• Essisdaddy
    5,883 Posts
    Thu, Dec 1 2016 7:49 AM

There have  been more lipouts, 360's etc in recent months - it's a topic of discussion in my CC - but it's probably down to the coders getting better at their  game rather than anything to do with us (players).

My putting drives me insane, but it is what it is and I swear I will get better. One day. Maybe not in this lifetime though...

Just my two penn'orth.

RSS