Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Vapor irons level 95 (true distances)

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 24 2017 7:24 PM (44 replies)
  • Marco129
    275 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2016 4:57 AM

YankeeJim:

For starters, full back spin puts you in a turbo mode for misses-you miss the ding and you get slaughtered.

Jim,

Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. I find this concept very interesting.

Thanks,

- Mark

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2016 9:03 PM

Marco129:

YankeeJim:

For starters, full back spin puts you in a turbo mode for misses-you miss the ding and you get slaughtered.

Jim,

Could you please explain this in a bit more detail. I find this concept very interesting.

Thanks,

- Mark

Backspin literally increases the revolutions per minute at which the ball spins. The resulting increase in spin allows the wind to affect the ball more and hence on crosswinds a misding into the wind will be seriously penalized due to this. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 9:43 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:
    Backspin literally increases the revolutions per minute at which the ball spins. The resulting increase in spin allows the wind to affect the ball more and hence on crosswinds a misding into the wind will be seriously penalized due to this. 

This is very true, especially with high-trajectory clubs.

I once asked a similar question what Sammerson is asking, mine regarding TaylorMade R15 irons, though.

Solarflares provided an outstanding answer with every detail of mapped distances including first-bounce points, rolls and whole nine yards, but then for an unknown reason, he deleted every single reply he had given before I was able to copy and elaborate them... :-(

Now that I'm playing with both R15 and NIKE Vapor, I can say that their distances don't differ that much except for R15 3 iron being noticeably more elastic.

Anyway, some yardage charts of clubs are available in my blog so feel free to use them as you want. As I mentioned it there, I got them from somewhere else, but don't remember exactly where so unfortunately I cannot credit the original author(s).

I hope it helps a bit, Sammerson.

Regards,

Simon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 10:33 AM

Marco129:

YankeeJim:

Jim,

Thanks,

- Mark

I see it as a risk/reward thing. This game has always attached a more severe penalty for missing with extreme settings such as full spin. The better the ball, the stiffer the penalty for missing. Full back spin is an extreme setting and works well if you ding it. Miss the ding with partial spin and sometimes you get lucky. Miss it with that full spin and very seldom do you get lucky. :-)

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 10:54 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    This is very true, especially with high-trajectory clubs.
    I'd say this is true with any club ;), and the more forgiveness a club has the less this is actually accentuated.  It's very easy to miss ding every single shot (including the putter) and still birdie every hole.  So while hitting the Ding is always nice, it's not 100% necessary (although usually preferred).

Full b/s shots still have the potential for the best distance control out there, tighter shot groups, and overall, leave you closer to the pin.

SimonTheBeetle:
    Solarflares..but then for an unknown reason, he deleted every single reply he had given
    It wasn't him who deleted his post.  I left a message on your wall explaining.

Cheers.  Sean.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 11:45 AM

11BC2:
    I'd say this is true with any club ;), and the more forgiveness a club has the less this is actually accentuated.  It's very easy to miss ding every single shot (including the putter) and still birdie every hole.  So while hitting the Ding is always nice, it's not 100% necessary (although usually preferred).

Guess you're right. :-) Going along with this line, I "try to miss ding" on the opposite side of the wind (in other words, pull the shot when the wind blowing from left to right and vice versa).

11BC2:
    It wasn't him who deleted his post.  I left a message on your wall explaining.

Yeah, I read it. Thanks for the info, Sean. Talk to you later.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 6:02 PM

Simon I see you've upgraded to the Nike irons. I must say I am jealous, but it appears I'm not likely to make it in time to them. How do you like them and how different are they from the RSi2's? I honestly can't stand the meter on these and the lack of forgiveness of the 3wd and driver are killer. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 8:00 PM

Hey Wobbl, how's going?

How many XPs left to move up to L92? You still have about a week before they're gone so you've still got a chance. Yeah, I really rushed myself to get them. I even bought the XP ultra boost and played lots of soulless rounds in order to speed up the process. IMHO it's worth spending some extra credits if it allows you to own the NIKE Vapor.

Comparing to RSi2's, NIKE Vapor irons aren't really dramatically better. Distances are about the same, so is the forgiveness. The only net advantage of NIKE over RSi2's is slower meter and yet it doesn't guarantee I'd hit more dings. LOL

Now I'm using a mixture of both sets and find it really difficult to adapt myself to two completely different meter speeds so I'm seriously considering to abandon 3 yards of RSi2 driver and go back to NIKE Vapor driver.

Good luck to you, Wobbl.

Simon

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Mon, Nov 21 2016 8:38 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Hey Wobbl, how's going?

How many XPs left to move up to L92? You still have about a week before they're gone so you've still got a chance. Yeah, I really rushed myself to get them. I even bought the XP ultra boost and played lots of soulless rounds in order to speed up the process. IMHO it's worth spending some extra credits if it allows you to own the NIKE Vapor.

Comparing to RSi2's, NIKE Vapor irons aren't really dramatically better. Distances are about the same, so is the forgiveness. The only net advantage of NIKE over RSi2's is slower meter and yet it doesn't guarantee I'd hit more dings. LOL

Now I'm using a mixture of both sets and find it really difficult to adapt myself to two completely different meter speeds so I'm seriously considering to abandon 3 yards of RSi2 driver and go back to NIKE Vapor driver.

Good luck to you, Wobbl.

Simon

I'm about 75k away from 92. Not really going to happen. Someone calculated for me that I would need like 6 hours a day to get there in time, which isn't plausible.

Yeah i switched back to the Nike Vapor driver and 3wd with the RSi2's after the forgiveness was killing me. It helped a lot and I think I've gotten better at dinging the RSI2s, so I went back to both yesterday... remains to be seen how it goes, but when the new stuff comes out, i'll be looking to get some 4 meter clubs with more forgiveness ASAP. 

I see you're still shooting those insanely low scores you love. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Tue, Nov 22 2016 7:12 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:

I'm about 75k away from 92. Not really going to happen. Someone calculated for me that I would need like 6 hours a day to get there in time, which isn't plausible.

Yeah i switched back to the Nike Vapor driver and 3wd with the RSi2's after the forgiveness was killing me. It helped a lot and I think I've gotten better at dinging the RSI2s, so I went back to both yesterday... remains to be seen how it goes, but when the new stuff comes out, i'll be looking to get some 4 meter clubs with more forgiveness ASAP. 

Yes... 75K definitely seems too much to deal within a week or so.

However, you shouldn't be annoyed by it too much because WGT will evetually come up with a replacement with identical or even superior specs sooner or later. (I'd be excited if WGT introduced clubs such as Ben Hogan's FT. WORTH irons in the pro shop.) Besides, as I mentioned it earlier, NIKE Vapor isn't that much of an improvement comparing to RSi2's anyways.

MrFunnyWobbl:
    I see you're still shooting those insanely low scores you love. 

I don't know exactly what your notion of "insanely low scores" is, but I'm sure I don't fall into that category, Wobbl. I'm so flattered, but the fact is I'm just a normal Joe who shoots around early 60's and occasionally late 50's whenever WGT staff are in a good mood, good enough to let me have it.

Cheers,

Simon

RSS