Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Vapor irons level 95 (true distances)

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 24 2017 7:24 PM (44 replies)
  • sammerson
    81 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 1:53 AM

Who's got the true distances for these clubs using full backspin. I'm using a 4 distance ball. Nike level 70.

Thx, Sammerson

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 12:48 PM

There's no such thing as true distance in practicality. Will be different every time given wind and misding possibility etc. 

You could map and get pretty close to consistent but never will be entirely perfect. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 12:52 PM

That's a bad way to learn those clubs.

• sammerson
    81 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 3:28 PM

Yes, of course I understand that. What I need is the distance for each club, at full backspin, with no wind and hitting the ding. This way I have a solid base with which to work with.

• sammerson
    81 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 3:28 PM

What do you suggest?

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 8:13 PM

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 10:49 PM

Based on the lack of response, I think the only answer you're going to get is to either search the forum for that info, or start mapping on your own.  Part of the problem may be that no one has figures using the ball you specified.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 5:18 AM

sammerson:

What do you suggest?

To learn what each iron carries without any spin. Carry is the "air time" of the shot and is more important than anything else. If you don't know where it's going to land, you won't know how to control what happens after it lands and full back spin seriously affects this carry, not always consistently.

It wouldn't take more than the life of one ball for you to figure this out for yourself. Find a long fairway (like on BPB) and hit up and down the fairway with each iron noting the distance when you hear the thump of the landing. This is your carry number and knowing that will allow you to plan your shots more realistically.

FWIW, full back spin is a terrible way to learn clubs for a number of reasons. For starters, full back spin puts you in a turbo mode for misses-you miss the ding and you get slaughtered. It also lifts the ball and allows the wind much more time to affect it. 

I use the 71 Nike mostly because the carry of those Vapors comes pretty close to the rated distance with this ball. It makes it easy to know what the club is going to do and then you can use spin to augment the landing.

Chrisironsbones has a chart for the R11s on his page that will help you understand the trajectories of the different irons. They use the same distances as the Vapors but the 6-PW of the Vapors is what is really different between the 2 sets. The 3,4 and 5 irons are similar but after that, the Vapors run away with performance on the rest of the set.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:08 AM

As much as I hate to say this Yankee is right. Most people  know I have preached FBS on iron shots 100% of the time, even going so much as asking for higher spin balls (I would still like them for 3/4 iron shots) but even now I'm realizing that it just isn't always practical for 5-9i to hit FBS. Especially on sloped hole locations like the couple on pinehurst or olympic, it hits and normally might check back a yard which isn't an issue, but the slope makes a 4 footer an 11 footer due to FBS. I would learn with all spin settings if you can. 

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:25 AM

sammerson:
    What I need is the distance for each club, at full backspin, with no wind and hitting the ding.
    This is by far and away the BEST WAY to learn the clubs and also gives the best results.  I tell my guys in our country club this all the time.  You also hear me say this in my videos all the time too.  That is, full b/s shot gives you much more precision in regards to distance control than FLAT shots do.  This is especially true in CTTH Ready Go's where Precision/Accuracy is most important.

I avoid FLAT shots at all cost (exception being 56-64wedges and severely sloped holes where too much spin is bad).

W/ the 81 Nikes I use the following (all distances carry, not roll):

Fairway Full B/s              Flat

• Pw  113              120
    • 9i    130              135  
    • 8i    145              149 
    • 7i    156              165
    • 6i    170              175
    • 5i    184              190
    • 4i    200              200
    • 3i    219              216

Tee's Full B/s                 Flat

• Pw  114             125              
    • 9i    133             142
    • 8i    148             155
    • 7i    158             170
    • 6i    175             190
    • 5i    189             203
    • 4i    204             220
    • 3i    222             232 

On a side note I've always heard the Nike 61's are the absolute best ball to combo with the Nike 97's and 100's.  More less WTF moments (I'm thinking of changing myself).  Mappings would be very similar.

RSS