Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Vapor irons level 95 (true distances)

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 24 2017 7:24 PM (44 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:32 AM

There you have it, Sammerson, a golfer's view and a gamer's view. Get to work and GL.   :-)

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 6:40 AM

Lol ;)

Yep, lot's of ways to play this game for sure Jim.  We've got a few guys in our CC that almost exclusively use Top spin! (you know who you are ^^).

I stick by my post though.  Flat shots have way way WAY too many WTF variations/deviation for my taste.  FBS much more control!

cheers.  sean.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 7:15 AM

11BC2:

Lol ;)

Yep, lot's of ways to play this game for sure Jim.  We've got a few guys in our CC that almost exclusively use Top spin! (you know who you are ^^).

I stick by my post though.  Flat shots have way way WAY too many WTF variations/deviation for my taste.  FBS much more control!

cheers.  sean.

Hmm...Amt of TS or BS depends on club, ball and conditions, no? Full BS with a driver is different than with a wedge. 

Other issue with full BS is you tend to lose distance and the wind affects it more?

No clue..just a hack legend...lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 8:03 AM

The key is establishing that benchmark, which Sean has done. I do the same thing with my 64W punch and pitch-learned them both with full bs so I can control the rollout. Less spin = more rollout. Knowing what to expect is all that really matters and a chart such as his gives him that.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 8:17 AM

ct690911:

Hmm...Amt of TS or BS depends on club, ball and conditions, no? Full BS with a driver is different than with a wedge. 

Other issue with full BS is you tend to lose distance and the wind affects it more?

I find it simplistic in mechanical terms to have a system which can be easily repeated (piggy back what Jim said about benchmarks).  Most full shots I take are with full b/s and occasionally flat.  It takes out the guesswork in regards to moving spin around (which I certainly do but avoid when possible).  I.e. Take a flat 4i TEE shot.  Flat is 220 while full back is 204. 

This means each dot of movement (4 dots the way I split the ball up) represents 4 yards.  Any miscue on dot movement drastically screws your shot. Take into account you're getting more deviation from flat shots (my experience) and things get more problematic. 

Here is a short 3minute video I just put together showcasing a few full b/s shot.  Each shot I could have realistically used 1 or 2 clubs less (if I put top spin) but I chose to use full b/s.

cheers.  sean.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 9:25 AM

Full BS shots are affected more by wind- esp sidewinds, where one must hit into the wind direction (ie early or late) and take into account loss of distance for off dings. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 10:11 AM

skccvb:
    take into account loss of distance for off dings. 

The Vapors minimized this. More often than not, your distance stays accurate but offline because of the miss. Hole high a mile away happens a lot with a missed ding.

• sammerson
    81 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 3:55 PM

Thx everyone for the input. I'm going with 11BS2. That's what I was taught early on by some really good players. From my experience, full bs has way more control. Yes, wind has more effect, but once that is learned, setting the ball where you like becomes much easier.. It's more of a "placing the ball" than a roll and estimate.

• sammerson
    81 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 5:17 PM

Thx bro for the pinpiont accuracy's. Just shot a -9 at Kiawah front 9 with a HIO on the 8th :-)

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Nov 17 2016 10:27 PM

Glad they are working out for you.  I'm still learning mine also.  YankeeJim was correct as regards no loss of distance with mis-dinged shots.  Sometimes you need a cart to drive over to where you end up, but you are pin high.

RSS