Forums

Help › Forums

And in other news

Fri, Oct 21 2016 9:37 AM (49 replies)
  • bery111
    3,859 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 1:47 AM

And don't forget, we get great quips during long commentary sessions....

"The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey". lmao Although sadly, this is an urban legend....! :)

• craigswan
    30,988 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:24 AM

1979, Willey caught Dennis Lillee off the bowling of Graham Dilley, resulting in a scorecard entry of: "Lillee, c. Willey, b. Dilley".[

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:33 AM

Distraught that I missed this thread from the off...

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 5:32 AM

PaulTon:

ODI = One Day International.

Here's a simple run down off the game of cricket, for our American friends -

• You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
    • Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
    • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
    • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
    • Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
    • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
    • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
    • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

The guy with the bat tries to hit the ball and then runs between the two sets of three sticks to score points.

The bowler is trying to hit the sticks and if he knocks down either of the two wee sticks balanced on the three big ones, the batsman is out. 

The batsman can also be put out if any fielder catches a ball thats been hit, before it hits the ground.

There are many, many more rules but that's the basics. 

Concussing seagulls is optional.

You call this a simple explanation.  Now it is clear as mud.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 12:06 PM

bery111:

And don't forget, we get great quips during long commentary sessions....

"The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey". lmao Although sadly, this is an urban legend....! :)

Good on Brian Johnston.........I wonder if they put that quote on his tombstone....

As for Pauls description....fook man...a Scot describing cricket! Now I am confused....maybe that is why the Aussies are getting thumped!

• craigswan
    30,988 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 1:43 PM

I went to perth [ Scotland ] one day with my wife on a shopping trip which I was rather less than enthusiastic about ,

As we parked the car and she went to the ladies I turned my attention to the cricket match going on in the grounds .

As I got closer the ball run gracefully towards me along the grass just managed to cross the boundary for four and then came to a stop .

Not one of the fielders moved and they shouted at me to throw the ball back .

This happened again a few minutes later and as the team were one man short they asked me if I wanted a game .

So that is how I played my one and only game for Perthshire in black trousers and trainers .

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:44 PM

I am trying to support my newly adopted country - but fook me its hard when the former place is smacking all kinds of Aussie *** all over all kinds of parks atm.

I remember once trying to explain cricket to a Murican, he just couldn't get past the idea of all the action (bowling/batting) taking place as far away from the spectators as possible.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:04 PM

DrussTheLegend:
    ...taking place as far away from the spectators as possible.

That's the beauty of Cricket for me.  :-)

Could someone explain the 'Declared a draw' ruling to myself, please?

I ask as I have this vision of the captains getting together over tea and crumpets and deciding they just can't be ar$ed continuing and would rather go for a pint or three.

Yeah I know I could Google it - where's the fun in that?

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 4:39 PM

WigerToods2010:

In the case of test cricket, played over 5 often excruciating days, where there is no chance of a result, the two captains can agree to call it a draw with about an hour to play.

If one refuses the game will continue but this reduces the G&T time.

In one day or 20/20 cricket....this will not happen - there will be a result unless most of the game is rained off.

To put it into WGT terms, I suppose it is like having played 3 holes, all square and one player needs to go.....

However it is unlike a player saying "I do not want a dog licence today, can we drop this game" with 7 holes to play.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 5:19 PM

alanti:

WigerToods2010:

In the case of test cricket, played over 5 often excruciating days, where there is no chance of a result, the two captains can agree to call it a draw with about an hour to play.

If one refuses the game will continue but this reduces the G&T time.

In one day or 20/20 cricket....this will not happen - there will be a result unless most of the game is rained off.

To put it into WGT terms, I suppose it is like having played 3 holes, all square and one player needs to go.....

However it is unlike a player saying "I do not want a dog licence today, can we drop this game" with 7 holes to play.

*Inhales*... mmm I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

5 days? Sooo you've paid for your seat for the big 'match' during  the aforementioned period and two guys that have obviously placed a correct score bet with the local bookies can just decide to cash in when it suits?  Shocking! Have you Aussies not sussed that out yet?

Test cricket? Is that like playing in beta mode?

20/20? fine wine!

I've no idea what the rest means.

Have a nice day, Al.

RSS