Forums

Help › Forums

High ding rate = cheating?

Sat, Dec 31 2016 5:26 PM (437 replies)
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 12:19 PM

PTrenter:

I've watched some of the top players like fmagnets and I've seen a lot that have the ability to ding around 8-9 times out of 10.  I don't for one moment think these guys are using any aids be it official or not.  Some people just have better hand/eye coordination than others.

Most likely they have a consistent meter!!

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 12:44 PM

I guess I'll never be accused of cheating. I don't even have a high ding rate with my wife! 

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 12:45 PM

Infinito3010:
    I've watched some of the top players like fmagnets and I've seen a lot that have the ability to ding around 8-9 times out of 10.  I don't for one moment think these guys are using any aids be it official or not.  Some people just have better hand/eye coordination than others.

You're absolutely right, just because the best players in the game can ding 8 out of 10 times doesn't mean they cheat, it means they've developed a rhythm with the clubs. I can ding around 7 out of 10 times, but that doesn't equate shooting low scores... You have to be a putting aficionado.

• coors71
    656 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 12:45 PM

DodgyPutter:
    As you are clearly talking about a specific banned player you undoubtably know more about the specifics than me.

No, I am talking about banning period, I have no one in particular. I am talking about how WGT has the state of mind "Because we say so, it is so" attitude at the moment. Kinda goes along the line, not really on subject  , but I have an awesome internet connection and I get the " unable to connect to WGT, check your connection" crap still. Have mentioned it to them, nothing done about it. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 1:02 PM

lonniescott711:

I personally think that hitting the ding is highly over rated . Hitting the ding doesnt mean that the ball is going to hole out . It just means that you hit the ding .

Ding is a point of reference. There is no other point of reference in the game to make the shot correctly. If you don't want to use the ding, then you must have made a DIY chart attached to your screen in order to create a reference point. You can't hit the ball off ding well just by feeling for several reasons. First of all, when you play off ding especially with moderate and heavy winds, you lose a bunch of distance. Depending on how much off ding you play, i estimate the loss from 3 to 10 yds. So, you have to consider that as a factor too.

Moreover, with off dings shots on heavy irons such as 3-4, the slightest mistake lead the ball far far away from target for the famous club's circle of precision. Therefore, in my opinion, ding is a must if you want to have at least some form of accuracy in your shot, especially in long ones.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 1:06 PM

Infinito3010:

PTrenter:

Most likely they have a consistent meter!!

Depends what you mean by consistent.  Laggy / jerky as we know is caused by lots of things.  Buttery smooth is achieved by many, but in theory and I am sure in practice everyone gets the odd change in speed.  The latter is in large part to combat Mr. Otto and does so v effectively...why auto dingers don't work.  What is very clear is that with a good system set up properly, and no undue gremlins somewhere 80% is way

1. way more than Mr. Otto can do and

2. Very easily in reach of honest players.  It's also fine that some players choose not to ding so much purely because that is the way they want to play.  Point is they hit where they wish though of course.

L97 / 100 clubs; L90 ball and a decent (v achievable by many) set up hitting mostly exactly where you choose is easy for really several...........The game mostly starts after that for top players as that part is a gimme.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 1:49 PM

PTrenter:

I would reckon the 80%-90% is less true than if wgt said the top players ding 40% of the time.  I too have watched many of Mags rounds.

It depends very much on what they (wgt) mean/say.  This is not in anyway an accurate count (I will do one on a couple of rounds when I get time) but my impression is Mags hits the ding on putts much more than other shots, maybe 90% of the time.  Drives and approaches, shots requiring the full meter or close to, 40% is probably close.  

The "focus boost" is nothing to do with it as I don't think any of the top players use it and if they did wgt (and even anyone looking at their history) would know.

It is likely Mags will deliberately miss the ding sometimes, on a big slope playing uel for example, I think most times he tries to hit it (sorry if this is wrong).  Apologies for repeating myself but it depends what wgt are looking at; overall ding %, drives and/or approaches, particular rounds etc etc.  I'm assuming wgt would have the sense not to compare an even lie round to an uel round for example.

If wgt are careful how they check and see one player hitting the ding lets say 80% of the time when the other top players are at 40% would you be suspicious of the former?  I'd have been surprised at a difference of over 1% between the best two, though there's nothing scientific about that.

Yes there can have a general thread and say being banned for hitting the ding too much is ridiculous, how can anyone reasonably disagree.  Any specific case may be different though.  I would like to know the details of what they look at and I know that's not going to happen.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 1:50 PM

Jimbog1964:
    Buttery smooth is achieved by many,

And I wish I knew their secret.

• pierolitfiba
    6,844 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 2:40 PM

I have a good percentage of ding but i'm not a top player,i'm medium player.

Have a high percentage of ding does not mean cheating.

I believe that wgt has banned for others reasons

bye

Carlo

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 2:47 PM

pierolitfiba:

I have a good percentage of ding but i'm not a top player,i'm medium player.

Have a high percentage of ding does not mean cheating.

I believe that wgt has banned for others reasons

bye

Carlo

See all the above...That can go out of the equation incredibly.  

EDIT: Unless I am getting photoshopped versions, and I v much doubt that is happening.  EDIT2: Short of WGT asking me to I can't post exact stuff.  If they asked I would be happy to but they won't.

Back to generalitiesI think I am seeing that it is v interesting that no one, who half understands the game, has an issue with say even close to 80 ish % dinging...........Emphasis on here and having a clue .

RSS